* eps images
@ 2004-05-05 11:35 techw
From: techw @ 2004-05-05 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all!

I have been using Context only recently. I need to import eps images into
the documents(a lot of them). Despite running texutil and setting the path
for Ghost Script, I am getting only blank eps images or gray boxes in the
pdf. Is there a driver that I need to do the conversion from eps to pdf ?
I am able to import jpg images. Do I have to convert the eps images to pdf
externally and then import them using context tags?
I have been stuck on this problem for amonth now.Help please!

Thanks and regards,
-priya.

* Re: eps images
@ 2004-05-05 12:03 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2004-05-05 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

techw@siritech.com wrote:

>I have been using Context only recently. I need to import eps images into
>the documents(a lot of them). Despite running texutil and setting the path
>for Ghost Script, I am getting only blank eps images or gray boxes in the
>pdf. Is there a driver that I need to do the conversion from eps to pdf ?

Well, you need to convert the eps to pdf since PostScript is a full
programming language while PDF is rather limited.
I used usually 'epstopdf' for this purpose, but one can also use
texutil --figures --epstopdf some_eps_file.eps
(I tend to forget the syntax of texutil, moreover I'm frequently unsure
whether texexec or texutil contains a certain feature therefore I
usually use epstopdf which does essentially the same).

>I am able to import jpg images. Do I have to convert the eps images to pdf
>externally and then import them using context tags?

If you use \useexternalfigure[some_image], it automatically includes
some_image.eps in the DVI mode and some_image.pdf in the PDF mode.

>I have been stuck on this problem for amonth now.

Don't hesitate to send questions to the mailing list. That's better than
being stuck for that long!

Tobias

* Re: eps images
@ 2004-05-05 12:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-05 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 13:35 05/05/2004, you wrote:
>Hello all!
>
>I have been using Context only recently. I need to import eps images into
>the documents(a lot of them). Despite running texutil and setting the path
>for Ghost Script, I am getting only blank eps images or gray boxes in the
>pdf. Is there a driver that I need to do the conversion from eps to pdf ?
>I am able to import jpg images. Do I have to convert the eps images to pdf
>externally and then import them using context tags?
>I have been stuck on this problem for amonth now.Help please!

if you have ruby on your system, as well as ghostscript installed (and
visible in you rpath), you can use pstopdf (see manual on our web site);
that script does the conversion (either or not cropped) as well as some
cleanup of eps code

Hans