* Re: Notes and questions on 432 page book.
@ 2004-05-05 12:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-05 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 18:40 05/05/2004, you wrote:

>using the Eplain macros. If there is a way to single space
>the TOC using the regular Context macros I will be happy to
>eliminate the Eplain, which may solve some of the other
>problems.

what is single spacing a toc?

with regards to including eplain text, why not typesetting it as a separate
document, and then do something

\externalfigure[eplaintoc.pdf][width=\textwidth,height=\textheight]

Hans

* Re: Notes and questions on 432 page book.
@ 2004-05-05 16:29     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-05 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 22:00 05/05/2004, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 05 May 2004 02:07 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > At 18:40 05/05/2004, you wrote:
> > >using the Eplain macros. If there is a way to single
> > > space the TOC using the regular Context macros I will
> > > be happy to eliminate the Eplain, which may solve some
> > > of the other problems.
> >
> > what is single spacing a toc?
> >
> > with regards to including eplain text, why not
> > typesetting it as a separate document, and then do
> > something
> >
> > \externalfigure[eplaintoc.pdf][width=\textwidth,height=\t
> >extheight]
> >
> > Hans
> >
>Thanks for the reply. When I run the regular Context TOC
>macros I get a wide space, equivalent to a blank line,
>between chapters.  It is of course entirely possible that I
>have done something wrong in setting the TOC up. Here are
>some pertinent extracts from my main file:

\setuplist[chapter,section][before=,after=]

* Notes and questions on 432 page book.
@ 2004-05-05 16:40 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-05-05 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

My latest project is almost finished. I have a few comments
and questions.

The book consists of one part with five unnumbered chapters
followed by a second part of 101 numbered chapters, and
some endmatter.  I was unable to make the Context version
of the TOC to single space these 110 or so chapter entries
which made the whole TOC longer (more pages) than desired.
So I threw Eplain into the mix and typeset the TOC only
using the Eplain macros. If there is a way to single space
the TOC using the regular Context macros I will be happy to
eliminate the Eplain, which may solve some of the other
problems.

The last six pages consist of an order form, a page of text,
and another order form, all backed up by blank pages for
six pages total. The order form is created with some
\framedtext and \starttable trickery. It compiles fine by
itself but gives errors in the \starttable etc. when
combined with the main body of the book.  It will also
coexist with the front matter, so eplain is probably not
the culprit.  In any case at the  moment I have two correct
pdfs which I will try to knit together with psmerge or
something similar.

I used a conventional construction of the job, with a main
file which calls subordinate files. In this mode I ended up
with two unwanted blank pages after the index.  If however
I put the \stoptext statement at the end of the main
subordinate file the unwanted blank pages disappear.  Here
is the construction of the main file:
------------------------------
\input fonts.tex
\input macros.tex
\input part.tex
\starttext
\startfrontmatter
\input half.tex
\input title.tex
{\tfx
\input copy.tex
}
\noheaderandfooterlines
\leftline{\tfb\bf\ss Table of Contents}
\blank[big]
\readtocfile\rm
\page[yes]
\noheaderandfooterlines
\stopfrontmatter
\startbodymatter
\setupwhitespace[medium]
\noheaderandfooterlines
\input body.tex
%\input order.tex       %the last six pages start here
%\input flyer.tex
%\input order.tex
\stopbodymatter
\stoptext
-----------------------------
If I insert a \stoptext statement at the end of the
body.tex file then I lose the unwanted blank pages. Are
they a byproduct of  the \stopbodymatter statement?
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers

* Re: Notes and questions on 432 page book.
@ 2004-05-05 20:00   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-05-05 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

----------------------------------

--

@ 2004-05-06  5:12       ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2004-05-06  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton wrote:

>I use a master file and call components into it with \input
>statements....

Is there any advantage to using a master file with \input statements
compared to using ConTeXt project and component files?  Or are these
totally different things?

Matt

* Re: Notes and questions on 432 page book.
@ 2004-05-06  5:16   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-05-06  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 02:07 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 18:40 05/05/2004, you wrote:
> >using the Eplain macros. If there is a way to single
> > space the TOC using the regular Context macros I will
> > be happy to eliminate the Eplain, which may solve some
> > of the other problems.
>
> what is single spacing a toc?
>
> with regards to including eplain text, why not
> typesetting it as a separate document, and then do
> something
>
> \externalfigure[eplaintoc.pdf][width=\textwidth,height=\t
>extheight]
>
> Hans

This answer put me on the path to a solution of another
problem. I had an order form made up of two text blocks
with a table in the middle. It compiled fine so long as I
left the main body of my document out. When I brought
body.tex in to the run then the table portion started
giving errors. So I set up a special run which generated
just that page in a pdf file. However I didn't want to
shrink it as Hans suggested,  and Context doesn't usually
cater to a full-page graphic nor does it let one pick an
origin point as such.

 I finally found a way to move the origin point and then
brought the pdf into the page. I fooled with \inmargin,
\rput (pstricks), \kern,\leftskip and about half the
commands in the plain tex vocabulary. Here is a solution
that works, bringing in a page size graphic and placing it
properly on my page:

\startstandardmakeup[doublesided=yes]
\vglue -1in
\hglue -.65in\externalfigure[order.pdf]
\stopstandardmakeup

This has broader potential for assembling multiple pdf pages
into a single document.  The glue sizes are of course
document dependent.

--

@ 2004-05-06  6:18     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-05-06  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

All of my problems of this moment are solved. there is an
oddity however that can be noted.

I use a master file and call components into it with \input
statements. If I put the \stoptext statement at the end of
the main file I get an extra page or sometimes two pages at
the end of the run.  If however I demote the \stoptext
statement to the end of the last file included the spurious
page disappears.
--

@ 2004-05-06 17:49           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-06 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 23:34 06/05/2004, you wrote:

>I have a single document, a book, and I find it convenient
>to subdivide it into files. For example I carry the same
>macro set from job to job, modifying it with each
>successive use. It saves a lot of typing. And as recently
>illustrated if an error crops up I can turn off segments of
>the document for debugging purposes.

\component and \environment also work outside the structure

there's also \readfile{filename}{}{}

all these commands, except \input, obey path and subpath rules

- search test.tex on ./test.tex ../test.tex ../../test.tex
- search on (predefined) <pathlist>/<subpathlist>/test.tex

>Finally, I think Hans assumed too much of his readers (or at
>least this reader) when he wrote the passage on project
>etc. control. I read it but still ask myself "what is the
>cost vs. benefit" and "how does it work in the day to day
>world"? But that would take a book by itself, and there are
>more important topics to be addressed in Context
>documentation.

it depends, for big manuals i always use'm

an advantage is that one can for instance process components without the
need to include all environments explicitly since they are taken from th
eproduct / project files

Hans

* Re: Notes and questions on 432 page book.
@ 2004-05-06 21:34         ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-05-06 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 07:12 pm, Matthew Huggett wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> >
> >I use a master file and call components into it with
> > \input statements....
>
> Is there any advantage to using a master file with \input
> statements compared to using ConTeXt project and
> component files?  Or are these totally different things?
>
> Matt
> __

They are mostly different in usage.

I have a single document, a book, and I find it convenient
to subdivide it into files. For example I carry the same
macro set from job to job, modifying it with each
successive use. It saves a lot of typing. And as recently
illustrated if an error crops up I can turn off segments of
the document for debugging purposes.

In an authoring situation I may further subdivide the body
component into chapters. This allows me to write the book
in non-consecutive pieces and even rearrange it for
different markets etc.  for example I have a file
http://wexfordpress/tex/shortlist.pdf
that is really a chapter to  a never-completed book.

I have never explored the project/component structure of
Context.  My one-person shop does not need sophisticated
project management. I am not authoring works but
typesetting the work of others. In a shop concerned with
document creation, and perhaps multiple authors, the
Context project management features would be worth another
look.  For me they are more bother than they are worth. I
collect all the files for a job in one directory (folder)
and that is it.  Each job is different, so commonality is
served by copying over the master or "book" file as well as
some useful files like fonts.tex and macros.tex to the new
job folder. The surname of thecustomer is the folder name.
After many years as a management analyst, systems analyst
and so on I have decided that simpler is better. One should
have enough controls, enough structure, but no more than
enough.

Also, and this is an important point, I work in pdftex and
even plain TeX as well as Context.  My master file
technique is generic to all these.