* small articles in columns?
@ 2004-05-14  9:57 Janko Hauser
From: Janko Hauser @ 2004-05-14  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I want to tyeset some smaller text parts in columns on one page.
I would like
to place each text into it's own set of columns. Is it possible to have
each text spread
equally over some columns, so that the next text starts on the leftmost
column again?

Haven't found any parameter for this in the documentation.

TIA,

__Janko

* Re: small articles in columns?
@ 2004-05-14 10:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-14 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:57 14/05/2004, you wrote:
>Hello, I want to tyeset some smaller text parts in columns on one page. I
>would like
>to place each text into it's own set of columns. Is it possible to have
>each text spread
>equally over some columns, so that the next text starts on the leftmost
>column again?
>
>Haven't found any parameter for this in the documentation.

columns.pdf (column sets)

else, play with

\starttabulate[|p|p|p]
\NC ... \NC ... \NC ... \NC \NR
\stoptabulate

* Re: small articles in columns?
@ 2004-05-14 11:03   ` Janko Hauser
From: Janko Hauser @ 2004-05-14 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 11:57 14/05/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Hello, I want to tyeset some smaller text parts in columns on one
>> page. I would like
>> to place each text into it's own set of columns. Is it possible to
>> have each text spread
>> equally over some columns, so that the next text starts on the
>> leftmost column again?
>>
>> Haven't found any parameter for this in the documentation.

Thanks for the quick answer

> columns.pdf (column sets)

This one I had tried, but it fills always to the bottom of the page.

> else, play with

But this looks promising, I will test it and report back.

> \starttabulate[|p|p|p]
> \NC ... \NC ... \NC ... \NC \NR
> \stoptabulate

with regards,

@ 2004-05-21 20:01   ` Janko Hauser
From: Janko Hauser @ 2004-05-21 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> columns.pdf (column sets)
>
> else, play with
>
> \starttabulate[|p|p|p]
> \NC ... \NC ... \NC ... \NC \NR
> \stoptabulate

Following the suggestions I tried to use the \column command to split
the columns. But my main problem remains. With the \startcolumnset
command I can not achive automatic balancing of columns.

I looked through the code in context and learned, that there is the
\startcolumns command wich can be given the [balance=yes]
parameter. This works, but then I can not use the other nice features
of the columnset environment. Further search in the code shows that
the balance=yes is also present in the columnset environment, but it
has no effect. Is this right, a missing feature or a malfunction?

I can provide an example, if this should work, and I'm doing
something wrong.

All hints gratefully accepted :-)

@ 2004-05-22 19:54     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-22 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 22:01 21/05/2004, you wrote:

>Following the suggestions I tried to use the \column command to split
>the columns. But my main problem remains. With the \startcolumnset
>command I can not achive automatic balancing of columns.

you can do manual balancing (experimental, esp the continue with a next
columnset part):

\setupcolumnsetlines[whatever][2][1][3]
\setupcolumnsetlines[whatever][2][2][5]
\setupcolumnsetlines[whatever][2][3][10]

[page in sequence] [column] [lines]

Hans