* Miktex woes
@ 2006-04-18 23:18 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-04-18 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

A colleague of mine did an update of his miktex. Now his context
won't work with this error:

  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

                warning : texexec.ini not found, try 'texexec --verbose'

  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

           current path : C:/Book/IntAlgText/trunk/chapter3
      locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.ini on scripts
      locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.ini elsewhere
      locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.rme on scripts
      locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.rme elsewhere
      locating ini file : not found by kpsewhich
      locating ini file : not found by searching
      locating ini file : no environment variable set
      locating ini file : not found in own path
                warning : texexec.ini not found, did you read
'texexec.rme'?

This was working before the Miktex update. Miktex has a texexec.exe
in a bin/ file. That's the one being used, but we cannot find any
instance of texexec.ini in the miktex tree. I don't think Miktex uses
the ini file.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Alternatively, could I get a suggestion for a good miktex
installation of context using the zip file from Pragma?

* Re: Miktex woes
@ 2006-04-19  4:47 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-04-19  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, David Arnold wrote:

> All,
>
> A colleague of mine did an update of his miktex. Now his context
> won't work with this error:
>
>  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>
>                warning : texexec.ini not found, try 'texexec --verbose'
>
>  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>
>           current path : C:/Book/IntAlgText/trunk/chapter3
>      locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.ini on scripts
>      locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.ini elsewhere
>      locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.rme on scripts
>      locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.rme elsewhere
>      locating ini file : not found by kpsewhich
>      locating ini file : not found by searching
>      locating ini file : no environment variable set
>      locating ini file : not found in own path
>                warning : texexec.ini not found, did you read
> 'texexec.rme'?
>

> This was working before the Miktex update. Miktex has a texexec.exe
> in a bin/ file. That's the one being used, but we cannot find any
> instance of texexec.ini in the miktex tree. I don't think Miktex uses
> the ini file.
>
> Anyone know what's going on here?

No idea. I was using Miktex context for some time, but found it too
cumbersome to work with. For context, miktex update is too slow. There
is no particular advantage of using miktex for context. I have two
parallel trees here, one for miktex and one for context and everything
works fine.

If hard disk space is not an issue and you do not mind installing
ruby, you can instal the windows installation from pragma in a
different (from Miktex texmf and localtexmf trees) directory. Use
setuptex.bat to add the pragma binaries to the path only when you need
them. This way, you can keep on using latex from miktex and can
context from pragma.

Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008