* More font problems -- CMTT instead of Courier
@ 2001-12-25 18:53 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-12-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm using

\setupencoding[default=8r]
\usetypescript[berry][8r]
\setupbodyfont[pos]

but \tt calls cmtt10 instead of Courier.

There is a bug in type-syn.tex where Courier is tied to SANS
instead of MONO!

\starttypescript [sans] [courier] [name]

should read

\starttypescript [mono] [courier] [name]

!!!

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: More font problems -- CMTT instead of Courier
@ 2001-12-27 13:06 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <Pine.GSO.4.43.0112281144540.7580-100000@emerald.bio.dfo.ca >
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-12-27 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:53 PM 12/25/2001 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm using
>
>\setupencoding[default=8r]
>\usetypescript[berry][8r]
>\setupbodyfont[pos]
>
>but \tt calls cmtt10 instead of Courier.
>
>There is a bug in type-syn.tex where Courier is tied to SANS
>instead of MONO!
>
>\starttypescript [sans] [courier] [name]
>
>should read
>
>\starttypescript [mono] [courier] [name]

Whow, that's indeed a stupid bug.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: More font problems -- CMTT instead of Courier
@ 2001-12-28 16:35   ` George N. White III
       [not found]   ` <Pine.GSO.4.43.0112281144540.7580-100000@emerald.bio.dfo.ca >
From: George N. White III @ 2001-12-28 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta, ntg-context

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >\starttypescript [sans] [courier] [name]
> >
> >should read
> >
> >\starttypescript [mono] [courier] [name]
>
> Whow, that's indeed a stupid bug.

Well, some of us prefer cmtt over Courier! Some "bugs" really are
features!

Courier exaggerates line break problems with long URL's or embedded source
code (I often use ProTex literate programming to document source code) and
lacks cmtt's "space" character which is useful in situations (e.g.,
Fortran formatted input files) where spaces are significant.

I stopped working with typescripts while trying to get context working
under Win32. Now that I have the 20011201 teTeX beta nearly running in
Cygwin I can start thinking about typescript's again.

Two things I often need are a (fake) caps font and (now) cmtt (e.g.,
instead of Courier). I can enable a caps font generated using fontutil by
redefining a few things right in my files, but I don't seem to be able to
make such tweaks work via a typescript file. The examples in the manuals
show how to add new fonts, but aren't as clear about what is needed when
you only want to make a small change to one of the predefined fonts. Now
that I have two things to tweak it makes more sense to create a new
typescript.

--
George N. White III <gnw3@acm.org> Bedford Institute of Oceanography

@ 2001-12-29  0:42     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-12-29  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:35 PM 12/28/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > >\starttypescript [sans] [courier] [name]
> > >
> > >should read
> > >
> > >\starttypescript [mono] [courier] [name]
> >
> > Whow, that's indeed a stupid bug.
>
>Well, some of us prefer cmtt over Courier! Some "bugs" really are
>features

right! the variable width font cmvtt10 is also pretty good.

btw, it is no problem to combine serif/sans/mono typescripts, but beware of
relative scaling; this is why the scale factor is sometimes set in a
typeface definition

>Two things I often need are a (fake) caps font and (now) cmtt (e.g.,
>instead of Courier). I can enable a caps font generated using fontutil by
>redefining a few things right in my files, but I don't seem to be able to
>make such tweaks work via a typescript file. The examples in the manuals
>show how to add new fonts, but aren't as clear about what is needed when
>you only want to make a small change to one of the predefined fonts. Now
>that I have two things to tweak it makes more sense to create a new
>typescript.

in many cases you only need to remap a filename

i think that it's worth looking into the caps and use cap fonts instead of
scaled ones; it's more robust to have caps in the lowercase slots than to
uppercase a string.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: More font problems -- CMTT instead of Courier
@ 2001-12-29 13:07       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-12-29 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>>Two things I often need are a (fake) caps font and (now) cmtt (e.g.,
>>instead of Courier). I can enable a caps font generated using fontutil by
>>redefining a few things right in my files, but I don't seem to be able to
>>make such tweaks work via a typescript file. The examples in the manuals
>>show how to add new fonts, but aren't as clear about what is needed when
>>you only want to make a small change to one of the predefined fonts. Now
>>that I have two things to tweak it makes more sense to create a new
>>typescript.

HH> in many cases you only need to remap a filename

HH> i think that it's worth looking into the caps and use cap fonts instead of
HH> scaled ones; it's more robust to have caps in the lowercase slots than to
HH> uppercase a string.

To use Times, Courier and Helvetica in their small caps variants I
have:

=== BEGIN SNIPPET ===

%D Let's define the Small Caps variant -- Berry names only, sorry.
%D And no variant available for 8R encoding.
%D Bold Caps is not used by ConTeXt (?)

% Times Roman (URW)

\starttypescript [serif] [times] [default]
  \definefontsynonym [Times-Roman-Caps]       [ptmrc7t]  [encoding=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Times-Bold-Caps]        [ptmbc7t]  [encoding=default]
\stoptypescript

% \starttypescript [serif] [times] [8r]
%   \definefontsynonym [Times-Roman-Caps]       [ptmrc]    [encoding=8r]
%   \definefontsynonym [Times-Bold-Caps]        [ptmbc]    [encoding=8r]
% \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [times] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Times-Roman-Caps]       [ptmrc8t]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Times-Bold-Caps]        [ptmbc8t]  [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

% Courier (URW)

\starttypescript [mono] [courier] [default]
  \definefontsynonym [Courier-Caps]           [pcrrc7t]  [encoding=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Courier-Bold-Caps]      [pcrbc7t]  [encoding=default]
\stoptypescript

% \starttypescript [mono] [courier] [8r]
%   \definefontsynonym [Courier-Caps]           [pcrrc]  [encoding=8r]
%   \definefontsynonym [Courier-Bold-Caps]      [pcrbc]  [encoding=8r]
% \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [mono] [courier] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Courier-Caps]           [pcrrc8t]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Courier-Bold-Caps]      [pcrbc8t]  [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

% Helvetica (URW)

\starttypescript [sans] [helvetica] [default]
  \definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Caps]         [phvrc7t]  [encoding=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Bold-Caps]    [phvbc7t]  [encoding=default]
\stoptypescript

% \starttypescript [sans] [helvetica] [8r]
%   \definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Caps]         [phvrc]  [encoding=8r]
%   \definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Bold-Caps]    [phvbc]  [encoding=8r]
% \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [helvetica] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Caps]         [phvrc8t]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Bold-Caps]    [phvbc8t]  [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

%D Let's activate them

\starttypescript [serif] [times] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]        [Times-Roman-Caps]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldCaps]    [Times-Bold-Caps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [helvetica] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]          [Helvetica-Caps]
  \definefontsynonym [SansBoldCaps]      [Helvetica-Bold-Caps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [mono] [courier] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [MonoCaps]            [Courier-Caps]
  \definefontsynonym [MonoBoldCaps]        [Courier-Bold-Caps]
\stoptypescript

=== END SNIPPET ===