* issue with linenotes and luatex-1.0.3
@ 2017-02-25 12:09 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-02-25 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I have a text with two kinds of linenotes (http://www.ousia.tk/hefes.tex).

If I compile with latest beta (2017.02.23 18:37), I get wrong separation
from body in many pages (http://www.ousia.tk/hefes.pdf). Only page 5
might be be right in this point.

But if I use beta from 2017.01.27 14:39 (which comes with luatex-1.0.0
[at least in Linux 32bit]), linenote separation from body is much better
(http://www.ousia.tk/hefes-nospacebefore.pdf).

The spacebefore option from \setupnotes was intended to improve the
situation. No matter whether \setupnotes is used or not, luatex-1.0.3
gets wrong results.

Could anyone confirm the bug or tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: issue with linenotes and luatex-1.0.3
@ 2017-02-25 15:13 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2017-02-25 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Pablo,

For your information, I tested your file hefes.tex, and the only pages without the issue are pages 3 and 5, with LuaTeX, Version 1.0.3 and ConTeXt  version 2017.02.23 18:37 (I am running MacOS 10.12).

However with LuaTeX, Version 0.95.0 and ConTeXt  version 2016.05.17 19:20 (from TeXLive 2016), the result is as expected.

Best regards: OK

@ 2017-02-25 15:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-02-25 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/25/2017 1:09 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a text with two kinds of linenotes (http://www.ousia.tk/hefes.tex).
>
> If I compile with latest beta (2017.02.23 18:37), I get wrong separation
> from body in many pages (http://www.ousia.tk/hefes.pdf). Only page 5
> might be be right in this point.
>
> But if I use beta from 2017.01.27 14:39 (which comes with luatex-1.0.0
> [at least in Linux 32bit]), linenote separation from body is much better
> (http://www.ousia.tk/hefes-nospacebefore.pdf).
>
> The spacebefore option from \setupnotes was intended to improve the
> situation. No matter whether \setupnotes is used or not, luatex-1.0.3
> gets wrong results.
>
> Could anyone confirm the bug or tell me what I’m doing wrong?

fixed in next beta

actually one can expect differences because in the case of multiple note
classes spacing is done better when there's nothing (basically we have
better control over the main before and individual befores

* Re: issue with linenotes and luatex-1.0.3
@ 2017-02-25 15:56   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-02-25 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/25/2017 04:19 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> The spacebefore option from \setupnotes was intended to improve the
>> situation. No matter whether \setupnotes is used or not, luatex-1.0.3
>> gets wrong results.
>>
>> Could anyone confirm the bug or tell me what I’m doing wrong?
>
> fixed in next beta

Many thanks for the fix, Hans.

> actually one can expect differences because in the case of multiple note
> classes spacing is done better when there's nothing (basically we have
> better control over the main before and individual befores

Sorry, I don’t get it. Does ConTeXt have better control over the main
before than the individual ones? (I’m only guessing.)

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2017-02-25 18:31     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-02-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/25/2017 4:56 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 02/25/2017 04:19 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 2/25/2017 1:09 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> The spacebefore option from \setupnotes was intended to improve the
>>> situation. No matter whether \setupnotes is used or not, luatex-1.0.3
>>> gets wrong results.
>>>
>>> Could anyone confirm the bug or tell me what I’m doing wrong?
>>
>> fixed in next beta
>
> Many thanks for the fix, Hans.
>
>> actually one can expect differences because in the case of multiple note
>> classes spacing is done better when there's nothing (basically we have
>> better control over the main before and individual befores
>
> Sorry, I don’t get it. Does ConTeXt have better control over the main
> before than the individual ones? (I’m only guessing.)

you only want a larger (when set) space before the first flushed set of
notes but still control spacing between sets of notes ... anyway, if you
never noticed that problem you probably also won't notice the difference
so don't worry (this was most noticeable in grids)