* batch getafm conversion
@ 2005-04-05 21:46 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-05 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

I found a TeXLive utility, getafm, that generates an afm file from a pfb file.
I need to generate a large number of afms, but I'm having difficulty getting
this utility to work:

getafm <myfont.pfb> > <myfont>.afm

works fine, but

getafm *.pfb > *.afm

does not. There does not appear to be any help info for getafm either;

getafm -h[--help] actually generates an on-screen afm listing(?)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this?

Thnx in advance
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: batch getafm conversion
@ 2005-04-05 22:52 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-04-05 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris,

In order to get a regular afm via this tool, you need a more
complicated syntax, see  the man page below. And to make this for a
number of files, you'll need a real shell (with a for ... do syntax).
If you can run something like zsh on your box, I'll tell you how
tomorrow.

Best

Thomas

GETAFM(1)
GETAFM(1)

NAME
        getafm - create an AFM file for a PostScript font.

SYNOPSIS
        getafm FontName > output.ps

DESCRIPTION
        Getafm  generates a PostScript file which prints an AFM file for
a font
        to the printer's output channel. The output of getafm should be
sent to
        a printer, or to GhostScript. For example,

                     getafm Times-Roman | gsnd - >Times-Roman.afm

AUTHOR
        Robert Joop (rj@rainbow.in-berlin.de), Angus Duggan

SEE ALSO
        psbook(1),  psselect(1),  pstops(1), epsffit(1), psnup(1),
psresize(1),
        psmerge(1), fixscribeps(1), getafm(1), fixdlsrps(1),
fixfmps(1),  fix-
        macps(1),  fixpsditps(1),  fixpspps(1),  fixtpps(1),
fixwfwps(1), fixw-
        pps(1), fixwwps(1), extractres(1), includeres(1)

TRADEMARKS
        PostScript is a trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated.

BUGS
        Kerning information is not generated by getafm; it is best to
use orig-
        inal AFM files if possible.

                         PSUtils Release 1 Patchlevel 17
GETAFM(1)