* hanging on missing picture
@ 2011-03-12 13:23 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-03-12 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Requesting a non-existing picture does not produce a warning message, but makes ConTeXt hang. An abort is the only thing that helps. It would however be nice if a "missing file" warning is given. A minimal example that shows me the hang:

\starttext
Hello a picture?\par
\externalfigure[./Figuren/figure.xxx]
\stoptext

* Re: hanging on missing picture
@ 2011-03-12 13:39 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-03-12 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 mrt. 2011, at 14:23, Hans van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:

> Requesting a non-existing picture does not produce a warning message, but makes ConTeXt hang. An abort is the only thing that helps. It would however be nice if a "missing file" warning is given. A minimal example that shows me the hang:

That is not supposed to happen, I think. Normally, you would get a gray box in thr pdf to indicate that the figure was not found.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: hanging on missing picture
@ 2011-03-12 14:07 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-03-12 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On my installation of ConTeXt, there is no hanging: maybe there is an issue with your intsllation?
The output shows a grey rectangle with
	name : dummy
	file: figure
	state: unknown
written on it.

For your information, I tested your code on a Mac OS X 10.6.6 and the minimals (version 2011.02.25).

Best regards: OK

@ 2011-03-12 14:11   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-12 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 14:39, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 12 mrt. 2011, at 14:23, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>
>> Requesting a non-existing picture does not produce a warning message, but makes ConTeXt hang. An abort is the only thing that helps. It would however be nice if a "missing file" warning is given. A minimal example that shows me the hang:
>
> That is not supposed to happen, I think. Normally, you would get a gray box in thr pdf to indicate that the figure was not found.

I'm not sure, but until yesterday ConTeXt kept hanging in most
unexpected moments for not-really-predictable reasons and maybe that
is just one of them.

Mojca

* Re: hanging on missing picture
@ 2011-03-12 14:27   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-03-12 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, here it does hang. I also have MacOSX 10.6.6 but then I have the minimals  ver: 2011.02.05 11:37 MKIV  fmt: 2011.2.5.
The later version: ConTeXt  ver: 2011.02.25 22:03 MKIV  fmt: 2011.3.11 does work as advertised though.

Pity I have to use the older version until another incompatibility is solved:
resolvers       > modules > loaded: 'bib'
(/Users/hans/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-obsolete.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
I hope to hear soon about that one.

Hans van der Meer

@ 2011-03-12 14:56     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-12 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 15:27, Hans van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:
> Well, here it does hang. I also have MacOSX 10.6.6 but then I have the minimals  ver: 2011.02.05 11:37 MKIV  fmt: 2011.2.5.
> The later version: ConTeXt  ver: 2011.02.25 22:03 MKIV  fmt: 2011.3.11 does work as advertised though.
>
> Pity I have to use the older version until another incompatibility is solved:
> resolvers       > modules > loaded: 'bib'
> (/Users/hans/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-obsolete.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> I hope to hear soon about that one.

I just commented out a single line in m-obsolete to make it work.

Mojca

* Re: hanging on missing picture
@ 2011-03-12 15:16     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-03-12 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did the test with your code both with mkii and mkiv (version 2011.02.25, 22:03).  In mkii I get what I reported previously and in mkiv I get:
	name : dummy
	file: ./Figuren/figure.xxx
	state: unknown

I have noticed the hanging behaviour of mkiv in some other situations, but actually if I wait long enough mkiv comes back and the typesetting goes through… I had the impression of having a cache problem, since if I remove or rename the folder
	/context-minimal/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache
then mkiv gets lost, despite a new folder being created.

Maybe in your situation there is an analogous condition?

Best regards: OK

On 12 mars 2011, at 15:27, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Well, here it does hang. I also have MacOSX 10.6.6 but then I have the minimals  ver: 2011.02.05 11:37 MKIV  fmt: 2011.2.5.
> The later version: ConTeXt  ver: 2011.02.25 22:03 MKIV  fmt: 2011.3.11 does work as advertised though.
>
> Pity I have to use the older version until another incompatibility is solved:
> resolvers       > modules > loaded: 'bib'
> (/Users/hans/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-obsolete.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> I hope to hear soon about that one.
>
> Hans van der Meer
>
> On 12 mrt 2011, at 15:07, Otared Kavian wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my installation of ConTeXt, there is no hanging: maybe there is an issue with your intsllation?
>> The output shows a grey rectangle with
>> 	name : dummy
>> 	file: figure
>> 	state: unknown
>> written on it.
>>
>> For your information, I tested your code on a Mac OS X 10.6.6 and the minimals (version 2011.02.25).
>>
>> Best regards: OK
>> On 12 mars 2011, at 14:23, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>> Requesting a non-existing picture does not produce a warning message, but makes ConTeXt hang. An abort is the only thing that helps. It would however be nice if a "missing file" warning is given. A minimal example that shows me the hang:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> Hello a picture?\par
>>> \externalfigure[./Figuren/figure.xxx]
>>> \stoptext

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Otared Kavian
Département de Mathématiques
Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin
Bâtiment Fermat
45 avenue des Etats Unis
78035 Versailles cedex

Téléphone: +33 1 39 25 46 42
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 44
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 46

e-mail: Otared.Kavian@math.uvsq.fr

* Re: hanging on missing picture
@ 2011-03-13 11:52   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-03-13 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-3-2011 2:39, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> On 12 mrt. 2011, at 14:23, Hans van der Meer<H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>  wrote:
>
>> Requesting a non-existing picture does not produce a warning message, but makes ConTeXt hang. An abort is the only thing that helps. It would however be nice if a "missing file" warning is given. A minimal example that shows me the hang:
>
> That is not supposed to happen, I think. Normally, you would get a gray box in thr pdf to indicate that the figure was not found.

there should be a \normalexpanded in here:

\def\externalfigurereplacement#1#2#3%
   {\setupcolors
      [\c!state=\v!local]%
    \normalexpanded{\localframed
      [\??ef]
      [\c!width=\figurewidth,
       \c!height=\figureheight,
       \c!background=\v!color,
       \c!backgroundcolor=missingfigurecolor,
       \c!frame=\@@efframe]}% we need to expand this in order to prevent
a loop
      {\tt\tfxx \nohyphens
         name:  \expanded{\verbatimstring{#1}}\\%
         file:  \expanded{\verbatimstring{#2}}\\%
         state: \expanded{\verbatimstring{#3}}}}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE