From: "Sebastian L." <axteffekt@gmail.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Unable to switch math fonts
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 23:41:15 +0200	[thread overview]

Yes it helps, thanks; it explains why there was so little response to
this. ;)
After some search I found regular style pictures of it. I was sure, that
it was italic as standard, because that's what "modern" suggests:
compability for current regulations (i.e. regular constants, italic
variables) as well as an attractive style overall. But since Neo Euler
seems to have no italic style, it is of no use for academic purposes,
like in my case.

The story, to add to the subject of the mail, in case somebody searches
the archive for this, is that I wasn't able to find out is how to change
the math font only, as i like the standard font with
\setupbodyfont[sans] as global setup but not the style of (non-modern)
Euler.
I tried

\definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [Xits Math]

but this changes the whole typeface; not what I want.
So the trick is to define the standard font for the rest of the font
variations. The standard font can be found out with \showbodyfont. At
least that's what it suggests. But it gives you "modern-design" as font.
When you use this within \definefontfamily then it gives you nothing,
because the real id of the standard font is "modern". So to change the
math font only and keep the main font standard, you have to use this
command group (just in case somebody looks for it):

\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [Modern] % = serif
\definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [Modern] % = sans
\definefontfamily [mainface] [tt] [Modern] % = mono (teletype)
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [Xits Math] [rscale=1.03] % = math

But as this seems to be so trivial, that few people care, I really have
to wonder why people who test CTX criticise the lack of documentation.
We (especially who haven't been through LaTeX or even TeX) seem to be a
minority.

Cheers and thanks, S.