* \page[header]
@ 2016-05-22 12:32 Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2016-05-22 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

According to the description of \page in the contextgarden:
"header - set header off temporarily"

But although this gives two pages numbered 1 and 2:
\starttext
\input knuth
\page
\input knuth
\stoptext

This one does not honour the new page but typesets everything on page 1:
\starttext
\input knuth
\page[header]
\input knuth
\stoptext

As that as intended?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: \page[header]
@ 2016-05-22 14:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-05-22 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/22/2016 2:32 PM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
> According to the description of \page in the contextgarden:
> "header - set header off temporarily"
>
> But although this gives two pages numbered 1 and 2:
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \page
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> This one does not honour the new page but typesets everything on page 1:
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \page[header]
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> As that as intended?

yes, it just changes a state, but you can use \page[header,yes]

> Hans van der Meer

* Re: \page[header]
@ 2016-05-22 15:40   ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2016-05-22 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

> On 22 May 2016, at 16:32, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> On 5/22/2016 2:32 PM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
>> According to the description of \page in the contextgarden:
>> "header - set header off temporarily"
>>
>> But although this gives two pages numbered 1 and 2:
>> \starttext
>> \input knuth
>> \page
>> \input knuth
>> \stoptext
>>
>> This one does not honour the new page but typesets everything on page 1:
>> \starttext
>> \input knuth
>> \page[header]
>> \input knuth
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Is that as intended?
>
> yes, it just changes a state, but you can use \page[header,yes]

It is not clear as yet.
\starttext
\input knuth
\page[header,yes]
\input knuth
\page[header,yes]
\input knuth
\stoptext
Here I get three pages, the first two without the last with header. That I understand.

\starttext
\input knuth
\page[header]
\page
\input knuth
\stoptext
Both pages keep their header.

\starttext
\input knuth
\page
\page[header]
\input knuth
\stoptext
Both pages keep their header.

Should I conclude that the state change occurs if and onlyif when in the same macrocall a real pagebreak is realize?
Because otherwise I do not observe a state change.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: \page[header]
@ 2016-05-22 15:44     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-05-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Meer, Hans van der <mailto:H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>
> 22. Mai 2016 um 17:40
>
> It is not clear as yet.
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \page[header,yes]
> \input knuth
> \page[header,yes]
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
> Here I get three pages, the first two without the last with header.
> That I understand.
>
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \page[header]
> \page
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
> Both pages keep their header.
>
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \page
> \page[header]
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
> Both pages keep their header.
>
> Should I conclude that the state change occurs if and onlyif when in
> the same macrocall a real pagebreak is realize?
> Because otherwise I do not observe a state change.
Change the order of the keywords (yes before header).

The header and footer keywords can be used when you want to hide header
and footer texts
on empty left pages before a chapter etc. in a doublesided document.

\setuphead[chapter][page={yes,header,right}]
\starttext
\chapter{First chapter}
\chapter{Second chapter}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \page[header]
@ 2016-05-22 15:54       ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2016-05-22 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

> On 22 May 2016, at 17:44, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Meer, Hans van der 22. Mai 2016 um 17:40
>>
>> It is not clear as yet.
>> \starttext
>> \input knuth
>> \page[header,yes]
>> \input knuth
>> \page[header,yes]
>> \input knuth
>> \stoptext
>> Here I get three pages, the first two without the last with header. That I understand.
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input knuth
>> \page[header]
>> \page
>> \input knuth
>> \stoptext
>> Both pages keep their header.
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input knuth
>> \page
>> \page[header]
>> \input knuth
>> \stoptext
>> Both pages keep their header.
>>
>> Should I conclude that the state change occurs if and onlyif when in the same macrocall a real pagebreak is realize?
>> Because otherwise I do not observe a state change.
> Change the order of the keywords (yes before header).
>
> The header and footer keywords can be used when you want to hide header and footer texts
> on empty left pages before a chapter etc. in a doublesided document.

That is clear to me. But my question was: why do neither \page\page[header] nor \page[header]\page make any difference unless in these cases \page[haeder] is effectively a noop.

> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> \setuphead[chapter][page={yes,header,right}]
> \starttext
> \chapter{First chapter}
> \chapter{Second chapter}
> \stoptext