From: Michael Na Li <lina@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: chinese font setup
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:03:52 -0800	[thread overview]

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Matthew Huggett told this:

>  A few weeks back, there was a short exchange on this list regarding
>  utilities for preparing chinese fonts for ConTeXt.  One of the postings
>  provided a link to some new utilities.  I've since downloaded the file
>  there (gbkfonts-linux-0.2.tar.gz) but am unsure as to how to proceed.  If
>  anyone with experience in this area could provide some advice, I'd
>  appreciate it.

Have you got any Chinese fonts that work for ConTeXt?  If not, you can try,
ftp.ctex.org to get some fonts.  There is no need to use gbkfonts.

For simplified chinese, you can,

1. Get the truetype fonts, htfs.ttf, hthei.ttf, htkai.ttf and htsong.ttf from
   ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/ttf/.

2. Get corresponding tfm file, gbfs.zip, gbhei.zip, gbkai.zip and gbsong.zip
   from ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/tfm.

3. Get the enc file, Gbk.zip from
   ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/enc_map.

4. Get the map file, map.zip, from above location.

Then read the mchinese.pdf, put those files in the right location and you can
then process Chinese in context (to produce pdf file).

The above procedure works because those fonts have already been defined in
font-chi.tex.

However, I have trouble installing new Chinese fonts.  I got fzhcjw.ttf,
ran 'gbkfonts -name fzhc -prefix gbk fzhcjw.ttf fzhc' which resulted in
the tfm, enc and map files, as well as pfb for use with dvips.  It also
generated a fd file for use with LaTeX.  I can then use the font with
CJK-LaTeX.  But I can't use it in ConTeXt.  I tried,

\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoRegular] [gbkfzhc]   [encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoSlanted] [gbkfzhcsl] [encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoItalic]  [gbkfzhcsl] [encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoBold]    [gbkfzhc]   [encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoBoldSlanted][gbkfzhcsl][encoding=gbk
]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoBoldItalic] [gbkfzhcsl][encoding=gbk
]
\defineunicodefont [SimHangCao]  [SimplifiedChineseHangCao] [chinese]

Then when I tried to use \SimHangCao I was told that it is undefined command.
The other fonts in the font-chi file, such as \SimFangSong etc, do work.

Any suggestions?

Michael

Michael Na Li
Email: lina@u.washington.edu
Department of Biostatistics, Box 357232
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195