* framing columns
@ 2006-02-26 18:55 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-02-26 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

A nasty problem arises when I try to enclose columns into a
framedtext and at the same time want to typeset it narrower inside
the frame.

1. framedtext: columns will not typeset, simplecolumns does
2. narrower:  columns honors narrowing, simplecolumns does not.

Now I am caught between two impossibilities.
Is it an option that simplecolumns will also be honoring
startnarrower..stopnarrower?
Is there another, simple solution?

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer

* Re: framing columns
@ 2006-02-28  1:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-02-28  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> A nasty problem arises when I try to enclose columns into a
> framedtext and at the same time want to typeset it narrower inside
> the frame.
>
> 1. framedtext: columns will not typeset, simplecolumns does
> 2. narrower:  columns honors narrowing, simplecolumns does not.
>
> Now I am caught between two impossibilities.
> Is it an option that simplecolumns will also be honoring
> startnarrower..stopnarrower?
> Is there another, simple solution?

\framed[width=\hsize]\bgroup
\startnarrower
    \setlocalhsize \hsize\localhsize
    \startsimplecolumns
        \input tufte \par
        \input tufte\par
    \stopsimplecolumns
\stopnarrower
\egroup

- when no width is given, framed will to to find the best fit
- you set the hsize according to the narrower before the columns

can you put that in the wiki?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: framing columns
@ 2006-02-28 19:46   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-02-28 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

Thanks for your suggestion, but in the meantime I worked hard to find
a solution and now do a framedtext within a framed text.
Calculating the width and height of the inner framedtext from the
surrounding one's offset and the margin wanted.  After puzzling out
that "location=middle" can put the inner framedtext centered it seems
to work for me. But it is a bit more work than the solution you are
showing me here; surely I will try your suggestion because it seems
so much simpler. I must admit I would not have found out on my own
about the two uses of \hsize.

As for your question: "can you put that in the wiki?" I have not the
faintest idea of how to put things in a "wiki". Not even do I
understand the phenomenon "wiki".

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer