* [NTG-context] Scale content to height of the font, measure font height
@ 2024-06-10 11:16 Gerion Entrup
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerion Entrup @ 2024-06-10 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'd like to scale something (actually a symbol drawn in TikZ) to the exact
high of the char 'M'. I found the scale environment for it but struggle to
measure the correct font height. I found the "definemeasure/measure/measured"
commands but they define a dimension and are not for doing measurements on
rendered text. Is there a simple way to get the height a char as a dimension?

MWE:
```
\starttext
% Is it possible to replace 1cm with a common expression?
This is the letter M. \scale[height=1cm]{a} should have the exact same size as
M.

This should also be true {\tfc with a bigger M. \scale[height=1cm]{a}}.
\stoptext
```

Best
Gerion

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Scale content to height of the font, measure font height
@ 2024-06-10 11:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-06-10 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/10/2024 1:16 PM, Gerion Entrup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to scale something (actually a symbol drawn in TikZ) to the exact
> high of the char 'M'. I found the scale environment for it but struggle to
> measure the correct font height. I found the "definemeasure/measure/measured"
> commands but they define a dimension and are not for doing measurements on
> rendered text. Is there a simple way to get the height a char as a dimension?
>
> MWE:
> ```
> \starttext
> % Is it possible to replace 1cm with a common expression?
> This is the letter M. \scale[height=1cm]{a} should have the exact same size as
> M.
>
> This should also be true {\tfc with a bigger M. \scale[height=1cm]{a}}.
> \stoptext
\the\dimexpr\fontcharht\font`M+\fontchardp\font`M\relax

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-06-10 12:07 ` seyal zavira
From: seyal zavira @ 2024-06-10 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also you can use this:

assuming that you have a fixed size figure such as a pdf page:

\definesymbol[Bsymbol][{\scale[width=1.6ex]{\externalfigure[myfile.pdf][page=1]}}]
\define\mysym{\kern 0.2em \symbol[Bsymbol] \kern 0.3em}

\starttext
this is a sample\mysym text.
\tfa{this is a sample\mysym text.}
\stoptext

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 7:18 AM Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@flump.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to scale something (actually a symbol drawn in TikZ) to the exact
> high of the char 'M'. I found the scale environment for it but struggle to
> measure the correct font height. I found the
> "definemeasure/measure/measured"
> commands but they define a dimension and are not for doing measurements on
> rendered text. Is there a simple way to get the height a char as a
> dimension?
>
> MWE:
> ```
> \starttext
> % Is it possible to replace 1cm with a common expression?
> This is the letter M. \scale[height=1cm]{a} should have the exact same
> size as
> M.
>
> This should also be true {\tfc with a bigger M. \scale[height=1cm]{a}}.
> \stoptext
> ```
>
> Best
> Gerion

> the Wiki!
>
> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /
> https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl
> webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / https://context.aanhet.net (mirror)
> archive  : https://github.com/contextgarden/context
> wiki     : https://wiki.contextgarden.net

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

@ 2024-06-10 13:53 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2024-06-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerion Entrup schrieb am 10.06.2024 um 13:16:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to scale something (actually a symbol drawn in TikZ) to the exact
> high of the char 'M'. I found the scale environment for it but struggle to
> measure the correct font height. I found the "definemeasure/measure/measured"
> commands but they define a dimension and are not for doing measurements on
> rendered text. Is there a simple way to get the height a char as a dimension?
>
> MWE:
> ```
> \starttext
> % Is it possible to replace 1cm with a common expression?
> This is the letter M. \scale[height=1cm]{a} should have the exact same size as
> M.
>
> This should also be true {\tfc with a bigger M. \scale[height=1cm]{a}}.
> \stoptext
> ```

\starttext
M\scale[height=\heightofstring{M}]{a}M