* texnansi encoding.
@ 2013-09-12 20:05 john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-09-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using mkiv to what degree can one depend on the encoding of a font to
be in texnansi form?

1. typescript fonts?

2. otf fonts?

3. type 1 fonts?

4. ttf fonts?

5. No guarantees?

And does it make a difference if one uses \simplefonts versus
typescripts?
--
John Culleton

* Re: texnansi encoding.
@ 2013-09-13  0:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-13  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/12/2013 10:05 PM, john Culleton wrote:

> Using mkiv to what degree can one depend on the encoding of a font to
> be in texnansi form?
>
> 1. typescript fonts?
>
> 2. otf fonts?
>
> 3. type 1 fonts?
>
> 4. ttf fonts?
>
> 5. No guarantees?
>
> And does it make a difference if one uses \simplefonts versus
> typescripts?

encoding is irrelevant ... even texnansi encoded fonts (in which case
the afm only has that subset) will be remapped to unicode ... there is
no other encoding than utf

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texnansi encoding.
@ 2013-09-14 13:34   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-09-14 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 02:41:33 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 9/12/2013 10:05 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> >
> > Using mkiv to what degree can one depend on the encoding of a font
> > to be in texnansi form?
> >
> > 1. typescript fonts?
> >
> > 2. otf fonts?
> >
> > 3. type 1 fonts?
> >
> > 4. ttf fonts?
> >
> > 5. No guarantees?
> >
> > And does it make a difference if one uses \simplefonts versus
> > typescripts?
>
> encoding is irrelevant ... even texnansi encoded fonts (in which case
> the afm only has that subset) will be remapped to unicode ... there
> is no other encoding than utf
>
> Hans

Excellent! Now in MKIV how would I encode an opening quote mark American
style? In previous TeX programs it was always ``. The MKIV substitute
\quotation{foo}
is not practical for my application, where the raw input code
may use the ditto mark " for both opening and closing quotes. I am
looking for something in MKIV equivalent to \char92 in plain TeX. On
the unicode table I find the hex value 008013 but I don't know how to
plug that in to a macro that redefines the first occurrence of " to be
that character, and the second occurrence to be hex 000814 etc. I can
write the macro, I just need the expression equivalent to \char that
gives me such characters in MKIV.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: texnansi encoding.
@ 2013-09-14 15:42     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-09-14 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.09.2013 um 15:34 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:

> Excellent! Now in MKIV how would I encode an opening quote mark American
> style? In previous TeX programs it was always ``. The MKIV substitute
> \quotation{foo}
> is not practical for my application, where the raw input code
> may use the ditto mark " for both opening and closing quotes. I am
> looking for something in MKIV equivalent to \char92 in plain TeX. On
> the unicode table I find the hex value 008013 but I don't know how to
> plug that in to a macro that redefines the first occurrence of " to be
> that character, and the second occurrence to be hex 000814 etc. I can
> write the macro, I just need the expression equivalent to \char that
> gives me such characters in MKIV.

Are you sure these are the correct values?

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/8013/index.htm

What’s wrong with \char?

\starttext

\char"201C TEXT\char"201D

\utfchar{"201C}TEXT\utfchar{"201D}

\fontchar{quotedblleft}TEXT\fontchar{quotedblright}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: texnansi encoding.
@ 2013-09-14 17:16       ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-09-14 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 17:42:42 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 14.09.2013 um 15:34 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:
>
> > Excellent! Now in MKIV how would I encode an opening quote mark
> > American style? In previous TeX programs it was always ``. The MKIV
> > substitute \quotation{foo}
> > is not practical for my application, where the raw input code
> > may use the ditto mark " for both opening and closing quotes. I am
> > looking for something in MKIV equivalent to \char92 in plain TeX. On
> > the unicode table I find the hex value 008013 but I don't know how
> > to plug that in to a macro that redefines the first occurrence of "
> > to be that character, and the second occurrence to be hex 000814
> > etc. I can write the macro, I just need the expression equivalent
> > to \char that gives me such characters in MKIV.
>
> Are you sure these are the correct values?
>
> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/8013/index.htm
>

> What’s wrong with \char?
>
> \starttext
>
> \char"201C TEXT\char"201D
>
> \utfchar{"201C}TEXT\utfchar{"201D}
>
> \fontchar{quotedblleft}TEXT\fontchar{quotedblright}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Well you answered my question. The chart I read for unicode characters
gave the values I quoted. I guess I was reading the wrong chart. What
chart do you use?

--

@ 2013-09-14 18:06         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-09-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)