* Variable space with hanging description
@ 2019-04-16  4:16 Cedric Tissieres
From: Cedric Tissieres @ 2019-04-16  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

I recently switched to mkiv and experienced some problems with
descriptions when set with alternative=hanging. The horizontal space
between the description title and the rest of the text varies a lot and
looks ugly. When the same code is compiled with mkii, this space is
almost constant (replace alternative=hanging by location=hanging in mkii).

Thanks
Cedric

----

\definedescription[desc][
  align=hyphenated,alternative=hanging, width=fit,margin=standard]

\starttext
\startdesc{Abcdefgh}
\input knuth
\stopdesc

\startdesc{Abcdefghij}
\input knuth
\stopdesc

\startdesc{Abcdefghijklmn}
\input knuth
\stopdesc

\stoptext

* Re: Variable space with hanging description
@ 2019-04-16 21:31 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-04-16 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cedric Tissieres schrieb am 16.04.2019 um 06:16:
> Dear all,
>
> I recently switched to mkiv and experienced some problems with
> descriptions when set with alternative=hanging. The horizontal space
> between the description title and the rest of the text varies a lot and
> looks ugly. When the same code is compiled with mkii, this space is
> almost constant (replace alternative=hanging by location=hanging in mkii).

The different distances after each title comes from the fact that MkIV
adds shrink and stretch values to the space but you can disable these
values with the shrink and stretch keys.

\setupdescription [...] [shrink=0,stretch=0]

Wolfgang

* Re: Variable space with hanging description
@ 2019-04-17  3:32   ` Cedric Tissieres
From: Cedric Tissieres @ 2019-04-17  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Wolfgang, it works perfectly.