* Ligatures missing with Times New Roman
@ 2021-03-18 13:02 denis.maier
From: denis.maier @ 2021-03-18 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi

I'm have to use Times New Roman for a text, and I'm finding that ligatures don't seem to work properly.

\starttext
\definedfont[name:timesnewromanpsmt*default at 12 pt]
ff fl
\definedfont[name:linlibertineo*default at 12 pt]
ff fl
\switchtobodyfont[pagella]
ff fl
\stoptext

The ff and fl ligatures work out of the box with Linux Libertine O, and with TeX Gyre Pagella, but not with Times New Roman. I can use the ligatures in MS Word so the font has them, but I don't see why they shouldn't work with ConTeXt (LMTX).

Best
Denis

* Re: Ligatures missing with Times New Roman
@ 2021-03-18 14:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-03-18 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/18/2021 2:02 PM, denis.maier@ub.unibe.ch wrote:
> Hi
>
> I’m have to use Times New Roman for a text, and I’m finding that
> ligatures don’t seem to work properly.
>
> \starttext
>
> \definedfont[name:timesnewromanpsmt*default at 12 pt]
>
> ff fl
>
> \definedfont[name:linlibertineo*default at 12 pt]
>
> ff fl
>
> \switchtobodyfont[pagella]
>
> ff fl
>
> \stoptext
>
> The ff and fl ligatures work out of the box with Linux Libertine O, and
> with TeX Gyre Pagella, but not with Times New Roman. I can use the
> ligatures in MS Word so the font has them, but I don’t see why they
> shouldn’t work with ConTeXt (LMTX).
the windows version hasn o such ligatures (it has a few arabic ones)

Hans

* Re: Ligatures missing with Times New Roman
@ 2021-03-18 15:12   ` denis.maier
From: denis.maier @ 2021-03-18 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.hagen, ntg-context

Ok. But where are they coming from in
Word? I'm on Windows.

@ 2021-03-18 16:00     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-03-18 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier, ntg-context

On 3/18/2021 4:12 PM, denis.maier@ub.unibe.ch wrote:
> Ok. But where are they coming from in
> Word? I'm on Windows.

i don't see them in word when i enter 'effe' and select times, but i
admit that my knowledge of word is zero so

Hans

* Re: Ligatures missing with Times New Roman
@ 2021-03-18 16:44       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2021-03-18 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb am 18.03.2021 um 17:00:
> On 3/18/2021 4:12 PM, denis.maier@ub.unibe.ch wrote:
>> Ok. But where are they coming from in
>> Word? I'm on Windows.
>
> i don't see them in word when i enter 'effe' and select times, but i
> admit that my knowledge of word is zero so

\definefontfeature [default] [default] [dlig=yes]

\definefontfamily [times] [rm] [Times New Roman]

\setupbodyfont[times]

\starttext

ff fi  fl ffi ffl

\utfchar{"FB00}
\utfchar{"FB01}
\utfchar{"FB02}
\utfchar{"FB03}
\utfchar{"FB04}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Ligatures missing with Times New Roman
@ 2021-03-18 21:44         ` denis.maier
From: denis.maier @ 2021-03-18 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks, that solved it.