* Help with typesetting footnotes in an HTML document
@ 2023-04-10 15:30 Keith McKay via ntg-context
From: Keith McKay via ntg-context @ 2023-04-10 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been puzzling over how to typeset footnotes in a HTML document,
most elements have been relatively easy to typeset but I'm stumped with
footnotes.  I have been studying the the xml manual in particular
Chapter  7.4 Cross Referencing, but I'm still struggling to get
xmlsetups which come anywhere near working. Any hints  to a solution
would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes

Keith McKay

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Here is a snippet of the HTML document with footnotes

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<head>
   <title></title>
</head>
not been discovered,’ wrote Ralph Waldo Emerson<span
class="footnote"><span class="footnote-indirect"
data-fnref="53-1"></span></span>. Those delicate crucifers with their
manifold faces of four pink or lilac petals striated with veins of
deeper lavender are the perfect introduction to flowers for children. So
delicate and yet hardy.</p>
road from an unseasonably snowy Austria (‘dieses Wetter ist
verrückt!’<span class="footnote"><span class="footnote-indirect"
data-fnref="53-2"></span></span> as an elderly lady exclaimed to me) to
northern France, and when I come home, it’s to a landscape responding to
substantially increased light levels and temperatures.</p>
thousands, we were rehoused from Maryhill in the heart of urban Glasgow
to this peripheral housing scheme which completely changed the character
of what had been a village. Within a decade those glasshouses were
abandoned, glass broken in the frames, and a row of shops that included
a chippy and a betting shop soon replaced them, betting ‘off’ licensed
race-tracks having become legal in 1961.<span class="footnote"><span
     <hr/>
       Emerson, R.W. (1878) <em>Fortune of the Republic</em>, p.3 quoted
in <em>Oxford Dictionary of Quotations</em>, Rev Fourth Edition (1996).
       ‘Crazy weather!’
       <a class="rId10"
href="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/racing/our-national-love-affair-a-history-of-the-betting-shop-804966.html"
data-url="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/racing/our-national-love-affair-a-history-of-the-betting-shop-804966.html"><span
class="import-Hyperlink">http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/racing/our-national-love-affair-a-history-of-the-betting-shop-804966.html</span></a>
[accessed 11 Dec 2017]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

* Re: Help with typesetting footnotes in an HTML document
@ 2023-04-11 13:51 ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier, mckaymeister

Hard to tell, if you don't show us what you've tried so far.
In one of my setups I use the lua based approach described on page 86/87. But again, we'll probably need more information to figure it out.

@ 2023-04-11 15:52   ` Keith McKay via ntg-context
From: Keith McKay via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier, ntg-context; +Cc: Keith McKay

Fair comment Denis.

I decided to try the lookup based approach on pages 85 - 86 of the xml
manual and my setups are based on those pages. I have to admit that I
find the xml manual a wee bit difficult in places since xml is outside
my expertise. I attach my tex and html files which should save some copy
and pasting.

Thanks

Keith McKay

On 11/04/2023 14:51, denis.maier@unibe.ch wrote:
> Hard to tell, if you don't show us what you've tried so far.
> In one of my setups I use the lua based approach described on page 86/87. But again, we'll probably need more information to figure it out.

[-- Attachment #2: FootnoteTest.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: footnoteTest.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 2374 bytes --]

* Re: Help with typesetting footnotes in an HTML document
@ 2023-04-12  8:05     ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2023-04-12  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mckaymeister, ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier

Hey Keith,

the code below should get you started. Obviously, the links in the footnotes don't appear as there are no setups for the <a> elements yet.

By the way, where is the HTML coming from? The dual structure for footnotes looks a bit odd and a bit too complicated for me.

\startxmlsetups xml:initialize
\xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{*}{-}
\xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{html|body|p|}{xml:*}

%\xmlsetsetup{#1}{span[@class="data-fnref"]}{xml:footnote} % data-fnref is not a class; also -> the element won't be seen if the parent span is not treated in some way.
\xmlsetsetup{#1}{span[@class="footnote"]}{xml:footnote-wrapper}
\xmlsetsetup{#1}{span[@class="footnote-indirect"]}{xml:footnote}
\xmlsetsetup{#1}{div[@class="footnotes"]}{xml:nothing}

\stopxmlsetups
\xmlregistersetup{xml:initialize}

\startxmlsetups xml:html
\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:body
\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:p
\xmlflush{#1}\par
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:footnote-wrapper
\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:footnote
\footnote
% {\xmlfirst{test}{div[@class="footnotes"]/div/div[@id="\xmlatt{#1}{id}"]}} -> test is not the document name nor the name of the node to be processed>; div/div nesting was wrong; for some reason I can't get it to work with xmlfirst. But \xmlfilter works
{\xmlfilter{\xmldocument}{div[@id='\xmlrefatt{#1}{data-fnref}']/command(xml:test)}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:test
\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext

\xmlprocessfile{initialise}{footnoteTest.html}{}

\stoptext

* Re: [NTG-context] Help with typesetting footnotes in an HTML document
@ 2023-04-12 10:21       ` Keith McKay via ntg-context
From: Keith McKay via ntg-context @ 2023-04-12 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier, ntg-context; +Cc: Keith McKay

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the code, I shall give this a try.

To get the html file I convert a docx file using a wordpress multisite
app called Pressbooks, a book content management system for book
publishing in various formats such as the web, pdf, epub and various xml
flavours (see pressbooks.com). My interest was that docx files could be
imported into pressbooks, edited and then exported as html which I then
used in ConTeXt to produce pdf. Pressbooks has an open source option and
they give instructions on how to self-host on a local web server, which
is what I have done (see pressbooks.org). It is, I suppose, like using a
sledgehammer to crack a nut, and the html files produced are quite
complicated. I'm still in the experimental stage with it.

Before trying out Pressbooks, I had previously produced two
books(novels) by converting docx files to epub using an epub extension
to Libre Office, then edit/clean-up the epub using Sigil epub editor.
Finally I extract the individual xhtml files and input into ConTeXt.
That was much easier and the files much less complicated, however those
books did not have footnotes so I shall have to check that out in Sigil.
I'm still experimenting to get a simple workflow for the conversion of
docx files to simple (x)html files.

Thanks again for the code.

Best Wishes

Keith

@ 2023-04-12 10:33         ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2023-04-12 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mckaymeister, ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier

Depending on how complex your files are, you might want to have a look at pandoc. It does a decent job when converting docx to other formats (HTML, Markdown or even ConTeXt).

Best & good luck
Denis