* float combinations
@ 2013-04-10  8:29 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2013-04-10  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

I would like to have in my document floats, i.c. musical examples, that basically have the same  number, for example, Ex. 3a and Ex. 3b, with text in between and possibly not even on the same page.

It seems that it can be done (Wiki-page Command/setupfloatsplitting) but I have no idea how to to accomplish it for figures.

Alternatively can one create a combination of two figures but separate the two elements spatially? And if so, how?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best regards,

Robert Blackstone

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-14 12:16             ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-04-14 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 13:54:48 +0200
Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On 2013–04–14 Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>
> > Two problems, though:
> > 1. I tried "label=" in \setupcaption to suppress "Figure ". This
> > does not work, and looking at the source I do not see how to do
> > this...
>
> \setuplabeltext [figureitem=]

Of course, thank you!

However, there is another problem with this second solution as it
shares the same counter with figure, rather than its own. This can be
corrected by *not* inheriting from [figure], as in
    \definefloat [figureitem] [figureitems]
Still, there needs to be some mechanism to automatically reset the
counter, for example via a "way=" keyword,...

Hans will surely be dreaming up a combinationitem scheme...

Alan

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-14 11:54           ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-04-14 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–04–14 Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> Two problems, though:
> 1. I tried "label=" in \setupcaption to suppress "Figure ". This does not work,
>    and looking at the source I do not see how to do this...

\setuplabeltext [figureitem=]

Marco

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-14 10:59         ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-04-14 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:55:41 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 4/14/2013 8:30 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > Hans, you forgot to define a \testitem...
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > \definelabel[test][text=,numberconversion=character,stopper=!]
> >
> >   \define[1]\testitem{{#1} {\test}}
> >
> > \resetcounter[test]
> >
> > \startcombination[2*2]
> >      \testitem{first}
> >      \testitem{second}
> >      \testitem{third}
> >      \testitem{fourth}
> > \stopcombination
> >
> > \stoptext
> >
> > Now, adding
> > \setupcombinations [before={\resetcounter[test]}]
> > would be incorrect as the counter would get reset for each row...
>
> sure, but then it's nice to have it as option of the combination
> command
>
> anyway, there's also (we've always needed such things in projects):
>
> \starttext
>
> \startplacefigure[location={here,none}]
>      \startfloatcombination[2*2]
>          \placefigure{alpha}{\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=1cm]}
>          \placefigure{beta} {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=2cm]}
>          \placefigure{gamma}{\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=3cm]}
>          \placefigure{delta}{\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=4cm]}
>      \stopfloatcombination
> \stopplacefigure
>
> \stoptext
>
> as that started out as experiment and was used in specific styles it
> was never documented (example from source)
>
> (mayb i'll add \startplacefigurecombination some day)
>
> Hans

Ah, more undocumented features... :)

\definefloat  [figureitem] [figureitems] [figure]
\setupcaption [figureitem] [numberconversion=character]
\startplacefigure [title=Cows]
     \startfloatcombination[2*2]
         \startplacefigureitem [title=alpha] \externalfigure [cow] [width=1cm] \stopplacefigureitem
         \startplacefigureitem [title=beta]  \externalfigure [cow] [width=2cm] \stopplacefigureitem
         \startplacefigureitem [title=gamma] \externalfigure [cow] [width=3cm] \stopplacefigureitem
         \startplacefigureitem [title=delta] \externalfigure [cow] [width=4cm] \stopplacefigureitem
    \stopfloatcombination
\stopplacefigure

Two problems, though:
1. I tried "label=" in \setupcaption to suppress "Figure ". This does not work,
   and looking at the source I do not see how to do this...
2. Missing is some way to reset the figureitem counter automatically with each \startfloatcombination.
   It looks as if it could be a nice feature to add new keywords like "before=" and "after=".
   Maybe "beforeall=" and "afterall=", "beforefirst=" and "afterlast=", ...

I suppose that the above brings little advantage over the \definelabel solution previously suggested.

Ala
--
Alan Braslau
CEA DSM-IRAMIS-SPEC

* Re: float combinations
       [not found] <mailman.394.1365915927.2084.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2013-04-14  9:39 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2013-04-14  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 14 Apr 2013, at 07:05 , Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On 2013?04?13 Robert Blackstone wrote: (in reply to Alan BRASLAU)
>
>> (I tried your liitle code snippet but ConText would not have it.)
>
> He's missing a closing bracket on the \externalfigure[mill] line.
> Here's a complete example:
>
> \setupexternalfigures [location=default]
>
> \defineitemgroup [subfigure] [lefttext=, stopper=]
> \setupitemgroup  [subfigure] [a, text]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startbuffer
>  Dutch scenery
>  \startsubfigure
>    \startitem A cow  \stopitem
>    \startitem A mill \stopitem
>  \stopsubfigure
> \stopbuffer
>
> \startplacefigure [title=\getbuffer, list=Dutch scenery, reference=fig:scenery]
>  \startcombination
>    \startcontent \externalfigure[cow][width=.5\textwidth]   \stopcontent
>    \startcaption a)                                         \stopcaption
>    \startcontent \externalfigure[mill][width=.45\textwidth] \stopcontent
>    \startcaption b)                                         \stopcaption
>  \stopcombination
> \stopplacefigure
>
> A cow is shown in \in{figure}{a}[fig:scenery] and a mill in
> \in{figure}{b}[fig:scenery].
>
> \stoptext
>
> Marco=
Thank you, Marco, and Alan, for  your suggestions.

As I wrote, wherever possible I use combinations for related examples, and they only give problems when the examples are too large to fit on the same page.
The solution with itemize does not help here. With small enough figures the results seems not too different from that with Combinations. With large figures stacked vertically the lower one still gets cut off (and with it also the caption when it is placed underneath the figure). If somehow a pagebreak could be inserted between the two items, then this solution would probably work.
But I have no idea how to achieve this. Inserting \page between " \startitem A cow\stopitem"   and  "\startitem A mill \stopitem" changes nothing.

Best regards
Robert

@ 2013-04-14  9:19 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2013-04-14  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 14 Apr 2013, at 07:05, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 4/13/2013 12:33 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> A few days ago (10 April 2013, Vol.106, Issue 25) I posted a question
>> about giving related but not necessarily adjacent floats the same
>> number, as for example Fig. 2a and Fig. 2b.
>> In the meantime I found a, not very elegant, solution that only partly
>> satisfies me.
>
> I cooked up something experimental ... after several variants i ended up
> with a solution that is only available in the keyword variant:
>
> \useMPlibrary[dum]
>
> \starttext
>
> First line.
>
> \startplacefigure[location=here,reference=first,title=first]
>     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
> \stopplacefigure
>
> Second line.
>
> \startplacefigure[location=here,reference=second,title=second,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.a]
>     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
> \stopplacefigure
>
> Third line.
>
> \startplacefigure[location=here,reference=third,title=third]
>     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
> \stopplacefigure
>
> Fourth line.
>
> \startplacefigure[location=here,reference=fourth,title=fourth,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.b]
>     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
> \stopplacefigure
>
> Fifth line.
>
> \startplacefigure[location=here,reference=fifth,title=fifth,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.c]
>     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
> \stopplacefigure
>
> Last line: \in[first] / \in[second] / \in[third] / \in[fourth] / \in[fifth].
>
> \page
>
> \placelist[figure]
>
> \stoptext
>
> (beware: it's groupsuffix, and not suffix as that will add another one
> not tracked in the lists)
>
> Hans

Thank you very much, Hans. This is really perfect for my purpose.

Best regards,

Robert

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-14  8:55       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-14  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/14/2013 8:30 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> Hans, you forgot to define a \testitem...
>
> \starttext
>
> \definelabel[test][text=,numberconversion=character,stopper=!]
>
>   \define[1]\testitem{{#1} {\test}}
>
> \resetcounter[test]
>
> \startcombination[2*2]
>      \testitem{first}
>      \testitem{second}
>      \testitem{third}
>      \testitem{fourth}
> \stopcombination
>
> \stoptext
>
> Now, adding
> \setupcombinations [before={\resetcounter[test]}]
> would be incorrect as the counter would get reset for each row...

sure, but then it's nice to have it as option of the combination command

anyway, there's also (we've always needed such things in projects):

\starttext

\startplacefigure[location={here,none}]
     \startfloatcombination[2*2]
         \placefigure{alpha}{\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=1cm]}
         \placefigure{beta} {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=2cm]}
         \placefigure{gamma}{\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=3cm]}
         \placefigure{delta}{\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=4cm]}
     \stopfloatcombination
\stopplacefigure

\stoptext

as that started out as experiment and was used in specific styles it was
never documented (example from source)

(mayb i'll add \startplacefigurecombination some day)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-14  6:30     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-04-14  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans, you forgot to define a \testitem...

\starttext

\definelabel[test][text=,numberconversion=character,stopper=!]

 \define[1]\testitem{{#1} {\test}}

\resetcounter[test]

\startcombination[2*2]
    \testitem{first}
    \testitem{second}
    \testitem{third}
    \testitem{fourth}
\stopcombination

\stoptext

Now, adding
\setupcombinations [before={\resetcounter[test]}]
would be incorrect as the counter would get reset for each row...

Alan

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 01:04:33 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 4/13/2013 1:13 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>
> > (However, I am sure that Wolfgang can suggest an obvious solution
> > that is already available, that I overlook... :)
>
> \useMPlibrary[dum]
>
> \starttext
>
> \definelabel[test][text=,numberconversion=character,stopper=!]
>
> \resetcounter[test]
>
> \startcombination[2*2]
>      {first} {\test}
>      {first} {\test}
> \stopcombination
>
> \startcombination[2*2]
>      {first} {\test}
>      {first} {\test}
> \stopcombination
>
> \resetcounter[test]
>
> \startcombination[2*2]
>      {first} {\test}
>      {first} {\test}
> \stopcombination
>
> \resetcounter[test]
>
> \startcombination[2*2]
>      {first} {\test}
>      {first} {\test}
> \stopcombination
>
> \stoptext

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-13 23:04   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-13 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/13/2013 1:13 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> (However, I am sure that Wolfgang can suggest an obvious solution that
> is already available, that I overlook... :)

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\starttext

\definelabel[test][text=,numberconversion=character,stopper=!]

\resetcounter[test]

\startcombination[2*2]
     {first} {\test}
     {first} {\test}
\stopcombination

\startcombination[2*2]
     {first} {\test}
     {first} {\test}
\stopcombination

\resetcounter[test]

\startcombination[2*2]
     {first} {\test}
     {first} {\test}
\stopcombination

\resetcounter[test]

\startcombination[2*2]
     {first} {\test}
     {first} {\test}
\stopcombination

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-13 22:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-13 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/13/2013 12:33 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> Dear all,
> A few days ago (10 April 2013, Vol.106, Issue 25) I posted a question
> about giving related but not necessarily adjacent floats the same
> number, as for example Fig. 2a and Fig. 2b.
> In the meantime I found a, not very elegant, solution that only partly
> satisfies me.

I cooked up something experimental ... after several variants i ended up
with a solution that is only available in the keyword variant:

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\starttext

First line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=first,title=first]
     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Second line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=second,title=second,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.a]
     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Third line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=third,title=third]
     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Fourth line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=fourth,title=fourth,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.b]
     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Fifth line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=fifth,title=fifth,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.c]
     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Last line: \in[first] / \in[second] / \in[third] / \in[fourth] / \in[fifth].

\page

\placelist[figure]

\stoptext

(beware: it's groupsuffix, and not suffix as that will add another one
not tracked in the lists)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-13 13:18   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-04-13 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

       [not found] <mailman.389.1365852601.2084.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2013-04-13 13:05 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2013-04-13 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 13 Apr 2013, at 13:30 , Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:

> This is probably not exactly what you want, however, one can use list=
> in \startplacefigure\stopplacefigure to differentiate between the
> figure caption and its listing in the list of figures.
>

> \startplacefigure [title={Dutch scenery.
>    \startitemize [n]
>    \startitem A cow. \stopitem
>    \startitem A mill. \stopitem
>    \stopitemize},
>    list=Figure title,
>    reference=fig:scenery]
>
>    \startcombination [2]
>        {\externalfigure [cow]  [width=.5\textwidth]} {a}
>        {\externalfigure [mill] [width=.45\textwidth} {b}
>    \stopcombination
> \stopplacefigure
>
> A cow is shown in \in{figure} [fig:scenery]a.

Hi Alan,
Thank you for your reaction and your suggestions.
Indeed, it is not exactly what I envisaged. I would be happiest if there were a way to add a and b as a suffix to the number, like Figure 2a.
With combinations it is easy to have a general Caption and specific captions for the components of the combination. But for the List of Figures I see no other possibility than, for instance "2   Dutch scenery. a. Cow, b. Mill".
In fact I have no problems when I can make use of a combination, but, as I wrote, sometimes combinations are impossible for lack of space on the page.

What you describe as a challenge for Hans could be perfect, I think, provided an itemization can be interrupted and continued on next page. (I tried your liitle code snippet but ConText would not have it.)
Splitting a float combination might turn out to be simpler. Only I have no clue as to how to achieve that.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Robert

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-13 12:27   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-04-13 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–04–13 Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> A cow is shown in \in{figure} [fig:scenery]a.

A cow is shown in \in{figure}{a}[fig:scenery]

> The above example raises the following (low priority) feature
> suggestion: How about some way of automatically numbering/labeling
> combinations just like item lists? Sort-of a hybrid between
> combination and itemize.

I think this could be a useful feature.

> Say,
> \startcombination [r*c] [item=a]

It's not that simple. You need other itemgroup settings as well,
otherwise you don't know the lefttext, righttext, stopper, etc.
options which are required for consistency, the sole purpose of this
feature.

Marco

* Re: float combinations
@ 2013-04-13 11:13 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-04-13 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

combination and itemize. Say,
\startcombination [r*c] [item=a]
    \startitem \externalfigure [cow] \stopitem
    \startitem \externalfigure [mill] \stopitem
\stopcombination

Hmm. A challenge for Hans (as if he is not busy enough).

@ 2013-04-13 10:33 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2013-04-13 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context