* List of special characters
@ 2011-08-15 14:31 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-15 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

While writing the documentation about using ConTeXt I need some 'special'
characters. A few I have found, for example \%, \backslash, \texttilde,
\percent. But until now I did not find how to represent [ and ]. How would I
use those characters in my document?

Also: is there somewhere a 'complete' list? I found several, but they where
all for LaTeX and are not completely the same. For example LaTeX uses
\textbackslash which does not work in ConTeXt which uses \backslash.

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: List of special characters
@ 2011-08-15 14:47 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.08.2011 um 16:31 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> While writing the documentation about using ConTeXt I need some 'special' characters. A few I have found, for example \%, \backslash, \texttilde, \percent. But until now I did not find how to represent [ and ]. How would I use those characters in my document?
>
> Also: is there somewhere a 'complete' list? I found several, but they where all for LaTeX and are not completely the same. For example LaTeX uses \textbackslash which does not work in ConTeXt which uses \backslash.

\starttext

[ ] @ _ ^ % normal characters

\startlines
\textbackslash\ or \letterbackslash
\textbraceleft\ or \letterleftbrace\ or \{
\textbraceright\ or \letterrightbrace\ or \}
\percent\ or \letterpercent\ or \%
\textdollar\ or \letterdollar\ or \$
\letterampersand\ or \&
\letterhash\ or \#
\stoplines

\asciimode
% $ # & %% this is a comment

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: List of special characters
@ 2011-08-15 15:05 ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-15 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/15 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>

> While writing the documentation about using ConTeXt I need some 'special'
> characters. A few I have found, for example \%, \backslash, \texttilde,
> \percent. But until now I did not find how to represent [ and ]. How would I
> use those characters in my document?
>
> Also: is there somewhere a 'complete' list? I found several, but they where
> all for LaTeX and are not completely the same. For example LaTeX uses
> \textbackslash which does not work in ConTeXt which uses \backslash.

I could not find it at first (there are so many things), but one solution I
found:
    \startasciimode

    %\backslash setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes,css=yes]

    \stopasciimode

And while searching a little further I also found:

    \type{    %\setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes,css=yes]}

This has the added benefit that it displays somewhat better because of the
increased indentation (for which I misuse spaces).

--

@ 2011-08-15 15:09   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-15 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.08.2011 um 17:05 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> 2011/8/15 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>
> While writing the documentation about using ConTeXt I need some 'special' characters. A few I have found, for example \%, \backslash, \texttilde, \percent. But until now I did not find how to represent [ and ]. How would I use those characters in my document?
>
> Also: is there somewhere a 'complete' list? I found several, but they where all for LaTeX and are not completely the same. For example LaTeX uses \textbackslash which does not work in ConTeXt which uses \backslash.
>
> I could not find it at first (there are so many things), but one solution I found:
>     \startasciimode
>     %\backslash setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes,css=yes]
>     \stopasciimode
>
> And while searching a little further I also found:
>     \type{    %\setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes,css=yes]}
>
> This has the added benefit that it displays somewhat better because of the increased indentation (for which I misuse spaces).

\setuptyping[margin=yes]

\starttext

before

\starttyping
\setupbackend[export=yes]
\stoptyping

after

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: List of special characters
@ 2011-08-15 15:12   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-15 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/15 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

> > While writing the documentation about using ConTeXt I need some 'special'
> characters. A few I have found, for example \%, \backslash, \texttilde,
> \percent. But until now I did not find how to represent [ and ]. How would I
> use those characters in my document?
> >
> > Also: is there somewhere a 'complete' list? I found several, but they
> where all for LaTeX and are not completely the same. For example LaTeX uses
> \textbackslash which does not work in ConTeXt which uses \backslash.
>

> \starttext
>
> [ ] @ _ ^ % normal characters
>
> \startlines
> \textbackslash\ or \letterbackslash
> \textbraceleft\ or \letterleftbrace\ or \{
> \textbraceright\ or \letterrightbrace\ or \}
> \percent\ or \letterpercent\ or \%
> \textdollar\ or \letterdollar\ or \$
> \letterampersand\ or \&
> \letterhash\ or \#
> \stoplines
>
> \asciimode
> % $ # & %% this is a comment
>
> \stoptext

I found it also. I new that there was something like it (I had it seen
passing on the mailing list), but could not find it at first.

Do I understand correctly that '%% this is a comment' should not be in the
PDF? Because it is when I compile the document.

@ 2011-08-15 15:20     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-15 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.08.2011 um 17:12 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> Do I understand correctly that '%% this is a comment' should not be in the PDF? Because it is when I compile the document.

Yes, with \asciimode “%” is a normal character but to put comments in your document you can use “%%”.

Wolfgang

* Re: List of special characters
@ 2011-08-15 15:29     ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-15 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/15 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

> 2011/8/15 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>
>
>> While writing the documentation about using ConTeXt I need some 'special'
>> characters. A few I have found, for example \%, \backslash, \texttilde,
>> \percent. But until now I did not find how to represent [ and ]. How would I
>> use those characters in my document?
>>
>> Also: is there somewhere a 'complete' list? I found several, but they
>> where all for LaTeX and are not completely the same. For example LaTeX uses
>> \textbackslash which does not work in ConTeXt which uses \backslash.
>>

> I could not find it at first (there are so many things), but one solution I
> found:
>     \startasciimode
>     %\backslash setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes,css=yes]
>     \stopasciimode
>
> And while searching a little further I also found:
>     \type{    %\setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes,css=yes]}
>
> This has the added benefit that it displays somewhat better because of the
> increased indentation (for which I misuse spaces).
>

> \setuptyping[margin=yes]
>
> \starttext
>
> before
>
> \starttyping
> \setupbackend[export=yes]
> \stoptyping
>
> after
>
> \stoptext

Very nice. I now use:
    \setuptyping[

      blank=small,

      lines=no,

      margin=30pt,

    ]

I have a bigger margin now. The problem is that there is a lot of white
space above and under the typed text. I tried the blank and lines parameters
to get rid of it, but that does not work. How can I get rid of the unwanted
white space?

--

@ 2011-08-15 15:33       ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-15 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/15 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

> > Do I understand correctly that '%% this is a comment' should not be in
> the PDF? Because it is when I compile the document.
>
> Yes, with \asciimode “%” is a normal character but to put comments in your
> document you can use “%%”.

Does not work on my side. Both percentage signs and the text after it are
displayed in my document.

--

@ 2011-08-15 15:36       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-15 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.08.2011 um 17:29 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> 2011/8/15 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
>> 2011/8/15 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>
>> While writing the documentation about using ConTeXt I need some 'special' characters. A few I have found, for example \%, \backslash, \texttilde, \percent. But until now I did not find how to represent [ and ]. How would I use those characters in my document?
>>
>> Also: is there somewhere a 'complete' list? I found several, but they where all for LaTeX and are not completely the same. For example LaTeX uses \textbackslash which does not work in ConTeXt which uses \backslash.
>>
>> I could not find it at first (there are so many things), but one solution I found:
>>     \startasciimode
>>     %\backslash setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes,css=yes]
>>     \stopasciimode
>>
>> And while searching a little further I also found:
>>     \type{    %\setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes,css=yes]}
>>
>> This has the added benefit that it displays somewhat better because of the increased indentation (for which I misuse spaces).
>
> \setuptyping[margin=yes]
>
> \starttext
>
> before
>
> \starttyping
> \setupbackend[export=yes]
> \stoptyping
>
> after
>
> \stoptext
>
> Very nice. I now use:
>     \setuptyping[
>       blank=small,
>       lines=no,
>       margin=30pt,
>     ]
>
> I have a bigger margin now. The problem is that there is a lot of white space above and under the typed text. I tried the blank and lines parameters to get rid of it, but that does not work. How can I get rid of the unwanted white space?

You need \setuptyping[margin=30pt,before=,after=].

Wolfgang

* Re: List of special characters
@ 2011-08-15 15:39         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-15 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.08.2011 um 17:33 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> 2011/8/15 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
> > Do I understand correctly that '%% this is a comment' should not be in the PDF? Because it is when I compile the document.
>
> Yes, with \asciimode “%” is a normal character but to put comments in your document you can use “%%”.
>
> Does not work on my side. Both percentage signs and the text after it are displayed in my document.

Does this work?

\asciimode
\starttext
% this is visible %% and this is not
\stoptext

When you can read the text after “%%” you need a newer context.

Wolfgang

* Re: List of special characters
@ 2011-08-15 16:05           ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-15 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/15 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

> > Do I understand correctly that '%% this is a comment' should not be in
>> the PDF? Because it is when I compile the document.
>>
>> Yes, with \asciimode “%” is a normal character but to put comments in your
>> document you can use “%%”.
>>

> Does not work on my side. Both percentage signs and the text after it are
> displayed in my document.
>

> Does this work?
>
> \asciimode
> \starttext
> % this is visible %% and this is not
> \stoptext
>
> When you can read the text after “%%” you need a newer context.

I can read it, but I doubt it that I need a newer ConTeXt. I just this
morning executed:
    first-setup.bat --context=current --extras=al

It can not be much newer I would think.

When compiling, the output starts with:
mtx-context | run 1: luatex
--fmt="C:/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/formats/cont-en"
--lua="C:/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/formats/cont-en.lui"
--backend="pdf" "./manualInterflon"

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.1-2011080612 (rev 4277)

\write18 enabled.

(manualInterflon.tex

ConTeXt ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV fmt: 2011.8.15 int: english/english

--

@ 2011-08-15 16:10             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-15 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.08.2011 um 18:05 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> 2011/8/15 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
>> > Do I understand correctly that '%% this is a comment' should not be in the PDF? Because it is when I compile the document.
>>
>> Yes, with \asciimode “%” is a normal character but to put comments in your document you can use “%%”.
>>
>> Does not work on my side. Both percentage signs and the text after it are displayed in my document.
>

> Does this work?
>
> \asciimode
> \starttext
> % this is visible %% and this is not
> \stoptext
>
> When you can read the text after “%%” you need a newer context.
>
> I can read it, but I doubt it that I need a newer ConTeXt. I just this morning executed:
>     first-setup.bat --context=current --extras=al
>
> It can not be much newer I would think.
>
> ConTeXt ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV fmt: 2011.8.15 int: english/english

               ^^^^^^^^^^

You use a ConTeXt from May and comments for asciimode where added in Juli.

I guess you have TeXLive 2011 installed which interferes with ConTeXt Standalone.

Wolfgang

* Re: List of special characters
@ 2011-08-15 16:26               ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/15 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

>  > Do I understand correctly that '%% this is a comment' should not be in
>>> the PDF? Because it is when I compile the document.
>>>
>>> Yes, with \asciimode “%” is a normal character but to put comments in
>>> your document you can use “%%”.
>>>

>> Does not work on my side. Both percentage signs and the text after it are
>> displayed in my document.
>>

>> Does this work?
>>
>> \asciimode
>> \starttext
>> % this is visible %% and this is not
>> \stoptext
>>
>> When you can read the text after “%%” you need a newer context.
>>

> I can read it, but I doubt it that I need a newer ConTeXt. I just this
> morning executed:
>     first-setup.bat --context=current --extras=al
>
> It can not be much newer I would think.
>
> ConTeXt ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV fmt: 2011.8.15 int: english/english
>
>                ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You use a ConTeXt from May and comments for asciimode where added in Juli.

I overlooked the first date. :-{

I guess you have TeXLive 2011 installed which interferes with ConTeXt
> Standalone.

I thought I only installed ConTeXt Standalone. (The one from
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/context-setup-mswin.zip.) How can I
find the problem?

I just checked with my version on Linux, there it works like it should. Now
I have to make sure it works also under Windows.

--

@ 2011-08-15 17:05                 ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-15 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/15 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>

>  > Do I understand correctly that '%% this is a comment' should not be in

>>> Does not work on my side. Both percentage signs and the text after it are
>>> displayed in my document.
>>>

>>> Does this work?
>>>
>>> \asciimode
>>> \starttext
>>> % this is visible %% and this is not
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> When you can read the text after “%%” you need a newer context.
>>>

>> I can read it, but I doubt it that I need a newer ConTeXt. I just this
>> morning executed:
>>     first-setup.bat --context=current --extras=al
>>
>> It can not be much newer I would think.
>>
>> ConTeXt ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV fmt: 2011.8.15 int: english/english
>>
>>                ^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> You use a ConTeXt from May and comments for asciimode where added in Juli.
>>

> I overlooked the first date. :-{
>

> I guess you have TeXLive 2011 installed which interferes with ConTeXt
>> Standalone.
>>

> I thought I only installed ConTeXt Standalone. (The one from
> http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/context-setup-mswin.zip.) How can
> I find the problem?
>
> I just checked with my version on Linux, there it works like it should. Now
> I have to make sure it works also under Windows.

I found the problem. On Windows I installed the current version (for a
client looks like the better option), while on Linux (where I work) I always
use the latest version.

--
Cecil Westerhof

* List of special characters
@ 2005-02-08 12:46 cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2005-02-08 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can’t find a definitive list of the special characters that I need to ‘escape’ when used in a ConTeXt document. I’m writing a short script that converts documents, and I need to catch some characters. Some of the TeX ones I tried didn’t work. Couldn’t see it in the manuals.

I’ve done the obvious ones - \%, \#, \&, \$ - but wondering about some of the others (eg ! \" # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . /  : ; < = > ? @   [ \ ] ^ _ ` { | } ~  • º).

thanks!