* split table widows/orphans and splitting threshold
@ 2007-09-24 13:17 Santy, Michael
From: Santy, Michael @ 2007-09-24 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I'm using ConTeXt as part of a XML -> PDF workflow for technical documentation.  These documents often have large tables, so I am using "placetable[split]" for table placement.  While placetable[split] works as advertised, the output quality often suffers.  One of the issues that I've found is that you'll often see a table with one row on a separate page from the rest of the table.  Is there any way to control table orphans and widows such that there will never be just one (or some arbitrary number) rows of a table split across a page.

Another feature that I think would be useful is the ability to set a split threshold for a table.  In my use, tables that are less than 1/3 to 1/2 page should probably be included as a float (i.e., not split), whereas tables larger than this would benefit from being split.  Is it possible to add a new placement option for tables that includes a splitting threshold?  I would add this as part of my XML->TeX transform, but I don't think the rendering path has enough information to know how large table rows will be when rendered.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Mike