* problem with today's beta
@ 2009-09-28 13:25 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-09-28 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi Hans,

there's a problem with today's beta: at every run I get this error:

Attempt to allocate memory failed.
fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix otfMTXrun | fatal
error, no return code, message: luatex: execution interrupted

even when I call something like this:

mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern="times*"
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix otf
Attempt to allocate memory failed.
zsh: abort      mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern="times*"

This is on OS X intel, if this matters.

All best

Thomas

* Re: problem with today's beta
@ 2009-09-28 13:31 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-28 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

ConTeXt  ver: 2009.09.28 09:02 MKIV  fmt: 2009.9.28  int: english/english
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081914

\starttext
\input tufte
\stoptext

No problem here with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

--
luigi

* Re: problem with today's beta
@ 2009-09-28 14:02   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-09-28 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 28, 2009, at 3:31 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.09.28 09:02 MKIV  fmt: 2009.9.28  int: english/
> english
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081914
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> No problem here with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

Oops, you're right, I just tested with Ubuntu and see that it must be
something in my private texmf tree. I'll report back as soon as I find
out what it is!

Thomas

* Re: problem with today's beta
@ 2009-09-28 14:46     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-09-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 28, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Oops, you're right, I just tested with Ubuntu and see that it must
> be something in my private texmf tree. I'll report back as soon as I
> find out what it is!

OK, I found the culprit: an older version of LinuxLibertine in my
$HOMEtexmf; when I replaced it with the most recent version, the error
went away. Looks like the fontload mechanism in the latest beta is
pickier than in the version before that...

Thanks luigi, and sorry for the noise

Thomas

* Re: problem with today's beta
@ 2009-09-28 15:17       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-09-28 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 28, 2009, at 4:46 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> OK, I found the culprit: an older version of LinuxLibertine in my
> $HOMEtexmf; when I replaced it with the most recent version, the
> error went away. Looks like the fontload mechanism in the latest
> beta is pickier than in the version before that...

Just one addition: I see there were messages about this font in 2008
on the list, and it was troublesome because of the stupid names that
its creators have given it. For the time being, I haven't found any
way of loading it in mkiv. I've tried

according to the fonts script, it's

linlibertineo              LinLibertineO
LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.otf

I tried

   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [name:linlibertineo]

and

   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [file:LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1]

and even

   \definefontsynonym [Serif]
[file:"LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.otf"]

but no dice. Unless someone can come up with another idea, I will
simply conclude that atm, this font cannot be used with mkiv.

Thomas

* Re: problem with today's beta
@ 2009-09-28 15:21         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-28 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz <
thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2009, at 4:46 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>  OK, I found the culprit: an older version of LinuxLibertine in my
>> $HOMEtexmf; when I replaced it with the most recent version, the error went
>> away. Looks like the fontload mechanism in the latest beta is pickier than
>> in the version before that...
>>

> Just one addition: I see there were messages about this font in 2008 on the
> list, and it was troublesome because of the stupid names that its creators
> have given it. For the time being, I haven't found any way of loading it in
> mkiv. I've tried
>
> according to the fonts script, it's
>
> linlibertineo              LinLibertineO
>  LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.otf
>
> I tried
>
>  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [name:linlibertineo]
>
> and
>
>  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [file:LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1]
>
> and even
>
>  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [file:"LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.otf"]
>
> but no dice. Unless someone can come up with another idea, I will simply
> conclude that atm, this font cannot be used with mkiv.
>

> Thomas

What
does
mtxrun --script fonts --list
say ?

--
luigi

* Re: problem with today's beta
@ 2009-09-28 15:27           ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-09-28 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

As I wrote:

linlibertineo              LinLibertineO
LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.otf

Thomas

* Re: LinLibertine and MkIV (Was: problem with today's beta)
@ 2009-09-28 15:30         ` Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-09-28 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

> linlibertineo              LinLibertineO
> LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.otf
I've been struggling a bit with linlibertine as well, I've found that there
seems to be an issue with some characters in the font filenames (probably the
_ or ., I haven't figured out which ones exactly). I've got the files named
like this:

  $ ls .fonts/Linux-Libertine-4.4.1/
  linlib-bolditalic.otf  linlib-bold.otf  linlib-caps.otf  linlib-italic.otf
  linlib-roman.otf

with OSFONTDIR=$HOME/.fonts and the following typescripts:

  % Script taken from the "typescripts" pacakage at http://modules.contextgarden.net/typescripts
  \starttypescript [serif] [linuxlibertine]
      \definefontsynonym [LinuxLibertine-Regular]    [name:Linux Libertine O]             [features=default]
      \definefontsynonym [LinuxLibertine-Italic]     [name:Linux Libertine O Italic]      [features=default]
      \definefontsynonym [LinuxLibertine-Bold]       [name:Linux Libertine O Bold]        [features=default]
      \definefontsynonym [LinuxLibertine-BoldItalic] [name:Linux Libertine O Bold Italic] [features=default]
      \definefontsynonym [LinuxLibertine-Caps]       [name:Linux Libertine O Capitals]    [features=default]
  \stoptypescript

  % Script taken from the "typescripts" pacakage at
  \starttypescript [serif] [linuxlibertine]
      \setups[font:fallback:serif]
      \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [LinuxLibertine-Regular]    [features=default]
      \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [LinuxLibertine-Italic]     [features=default]
      \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [LinuxLibertine-Bold]       [features=default]
      \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [LinuxLibertine-BoldItalic] [features=default]
      \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]       [LinuxLibertine-Caps]       [features=default]
  \stoptypescript

  \usetypescript[linuxlibertine]

This works with MkIV and the beta from a few weeks back, haven't tried todays.

Gr.

Matthijs

* Re: LinLibertine and MkIV (Was: problem with today's beta)
@ 2009-09-28 15:38           ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-09-28 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 28, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
>> linlibertineo              LinLibertineO
>> LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.otf
> I've been struggling a bit with linlibertine as well, I've found
> that there
> seems to be an issue with some characters in the font filenames
> (probably the
> _ or ., I haven't figured out which ones exactly). I've got the
> files named
> like this:
>
>  $ ls .fonts/Linux-Libertine-4.4.1/
>  linlib-bolditalic.otf  linlib-bold.otf  linlib-caps.otf  linlib-
> italic.otf
>  linlib-roman.otf

Hi Matthijs,

thanks for this. I guess I could rename the font. I'm trying to
include it in my Greek typescript and was hoping I could simply tell
users "take the otf-files and copy them into your fonts/opentype
directory." Maybe I'll just rename the files and include the font with
the module, I think their license (OFL) allows that.

@ 2009-09-28 15:42             ` Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-09-28 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

> thanks for this. I guess I could rename the font. I'm trying to
> include it in my Greek typescript and was hoping I could simply tell
> users "take the otf-files and copy them into your fonts/opentype
> directory." Maybe I'll just rename the files and include the font
> with the module, I think their license (OFL) allows that.
Perhaps you could try to found out why it does not work with the original
naming and get that bug fixed in luatex/context/wherever it is?

Alternatively, you could contact the authors of the linlibertine font and
suggest changing the filenames of the fonts? It would also be in their
interest to have their fonts work out-of-the-box.

Gr.

Matthijs

* Filenames for fonts (was: LinLibertine and MkIV)
@ 2009-09-28 15:51           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-09-28 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.09.2009 um 17:30 schrieb Matthijs Kooijman:

> I've been struggling a bit with linlibertine as well, I've found
> that there
> seems to be an issue with some characters in the font filenames
> (probably the
> _ or ., I haven't figured out which ones exactly). I've got the
> files named
> like this:

ConTeXt has a problem with the dots in the filename, underscores are
no problem and you let it remain, to use the fonts on my system I
removed
only the version number but this is not a real solution and this bug was
mentioned AFAIK long ago.

You should make a entry in the bug tracker and hope Hans will solve it.
Wolfgang

* Re: Filenames for fonts
@ 2009-10-01 17:51             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-10-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 28.09.2009 um 17:30 schrieb Matthijs Kooijman:
>
>> I've been struggling a bit with linlibertine as well, I've found that
>> there
>> seems to be an issue with some characters in the font filenames
>> (probably the
>> _ or ., I haven't figured out which ones exactly). I've got the files
>> named
>> like this:
>
> ConTeXt has a problem with the dots in the filename, underscores are
> no problem and you let it remain, to use the fonts on my system I removed
> only the version number but this is not a real solution and this bug was
> mentioned AFAIK long ago.
>
> You should make a entry in the bug tracker and hope Hans will solve it.

if the problem is outlined well, i.e. i can replicate it, it shoul dnot
be that hard to solve

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Filenames for fonts
@ 2009-10-13 16:05               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-10-13 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.10.2009 um 19:51 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 28.09.2009 um 17:30 schrieb Matthijs Kooijman:
>>> I've been struggling a bit with linlibertine as well, I've found
>>> that there
>>> seems to be an issue with some characters in the font filenames
>>> (probably the
>>> _ or ., I haven't figured out which ones exactly). I've got the
>>> files named
>>> like this:
>> ConTeXt has a problem with the dots in the filename, underscores are
>> no problem and you let it remain, to use the fonts on my system I
>> removed
>> only the version number but this is not a real solution and this
>> bug was
>> mentioned AFAIK long ago.
>> You should make a entry in the bug tracker and hope Hans will solve
>> it.
>
> if the problem is outlined well, i.e. i can replicate it, it shoul
> dnot be that hard to solve
>
> Hans

I added a entry to the bug tracker.

Wolfgang