* repeat layer recto pages
@ 2021-11-09  3:18 jbf via ntg-context
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2021-11-09  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want a particular layer to repeat on recto pages only, but I don't
want this to happen in frontmatter, only in bodymatter.

This is what I have done, just before the first chapter after
\startbodymatter (but unsuccessfully; the layer repeats for every page
at the moment. I must have omitted something).

\startbodymatter

\setupbackgrounds
  [rightpage]
  [background=butterfly]

\startchapter[title={Chapter title}]
\definelayer[butterfly]
     [x=0mm, y=0mm,repeat=yes,width=\paperwidth, height=\paperheight]
\setlayer[butterfly]
     [hoffset=.99\textwidth, voffset=1cm]
     {\externalfigure[bfly.jpg][width=1.5cm]}
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=butterfly]

etc.

Any thoughts?

Julian

* Re: repeat layer recto pages
@ 2021-11-09 15:05 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-11-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbf via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 11/9/21 4:18 AM, jbf via ntg-context wrote:
> I want a particular layer to repeat on recto pages only, but I don't
> want this to happen in frontmatter, only in bodymatter.
>
> This is what I have done, just before the first chapter after
> \startbodymatter (but unsuccessfully; the layer repeats for every page
> at the moment. I must have omitted something).

Hi Julian,

this is what you want:

  \startsectionblockenvironment[bodypart]
    \setupbackgrounds
      [rightpage]
      [background=butterfly]
  \stopsectionblockenvironment

> \startbodymatter
>
> \setupbackgrounds
>   [rightpage]
>   [background=butterfly]
>
> \startchapter[title={Chapter title}]
> \definelayer[butterfly]
>      [x=0mm, y=0mm,repeat=yes,width=\paperwidth, height=\paperheight]
> \setlayer[butterfly]
>      [hoffset=.99\textwidth, voffset=1cm]
>      {\externalfigure[bfly.jpg][width=1.5cm]}
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=butterfly]

The last line adds backgrounds to every page. And without doublesided,
there are not right and left pages.

And you don’t need the \define and \setlayer after \startchapter.

A complete sample would read:

  \definelayer[butterfly][state=repeat]
  \setlayer[butterfly]
    [hoffset=.99\textwidth, voffset=1cm]
    {butterfly}
  \startsectionblockenvironment[bodypart]
    \setupbackgrounds
      [rightpage]
      [background=butterfly]
  \stopsectionblockenvironment

  \def\rubbish%
    {\dorecurse{2}
      {\chapter{Chapter}
        \dorecurse{25}{\input knuth}}}
  \starttext
  \startfrontmatter
  \rubbish
  \stopfrontmatter
  \startbodymatter
  \rubbish
  \stopbodymatter
  \startappendices
  \rubbish
  \stopappendices
  \startbackmatter
  \rubbish
  \stopbackmatter
  \stoptext

I hope it helps,

Pablo

* Re: repeat layer recto pages
@ 2021-11-09 22:12   ` jbf via ntg-context
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2021-11-09 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Muchas gracias Pablo, that was most helpful, and of course it works.

The particular part that I was missing (there was already
alternative=doublesided in the preamble) of course was the
\startsectionblockenvironment[bodypart], so thanks for highlighting that.

I was also a bit confused about the difference between state=repeat and
repeat=yes, and I can see that both do work in the snippet you gave me,
so perhaps there is no difference between these?

Julian

* Re: repeat layer recto pages
@ 2021-11-10 15:27     ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-11-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbf via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 11/9/21 11:12 PM, jbf via ntg-context wrote:
> Muchas gracias Pablo, that was most helpful, and of course it works.
>
> The particular part that I was missing (there was already
> alternative=doublesided in the preamble) of course was the
> \startsectionblockenvironment[bodypart], so thanks for highlighting that.
>
> I was also a bit confused about the difference between state=repeat and
> repeat=yes, and I can see that both do work in the snippet you gave me,
> so perhaps there is no difference between these?

Hi Julian,

I’m glad to read that it worked for you.

I didn’t realize that there was a "repeat" option in \definelayer.

I use "state", since it contains more values to be chosen from.

I guess "state=repeat" and "repeat=yes" get the same result.

Pablo