* Itemization formatting
@ 2019-05-29 14:15 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-05-29 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I must be getting old :(

It used to be that I could get ConTeXt to do what I wanted, but that is increasingly getting harder.

Current problem: I would like to have itemizations that behave like in this dummy
ascii formatting:

  *   Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec dapibus turpis et
  nulla venenatis tincidunt. Curabitur sit amet vehicula nisi, sit amet

and so far it has been impossible for me to set up \setupitemize to do what I want.

In descriptive text, what I want is:

1. some global indentation to the left and/or right. That is what the margin= key does
2. the symbol (or number) typeset in a specific width. That is the width= key
3. some distance between the number box and the following text. That is the distance= key
4. on line 2 and forward to the end of the item, I want a *different* indentation from the first item line.

In this particular case, I want no extra indentation except for ‘margin’, but in other
cases I may like either more or less indentation than on line 1 of the first para of the item.

The desired effect is simple achieve with primitive operations, but I would like the input
to look nice (not to mention that I do not want to loose options for cross-referencing etc).

  \setupitemize[option=intext]

is nearly right for this case (with indentation equal to the left margin), so I assumed I would
be able to tweak that. But the problem there is that while it does 2-4, it ignores the extra
indentation required for nested itemizations (it even ignores explicit margin= settings for the
nested level). After fighting with this for hours, I am nearly ready to give up.

Anybody have any idea how to get itemizations to do what I want?

MWE attached.

Best wishes,
Taco
PS It seems that “indentnext=no” does not work for nested itemizations?

[-- Attachment #2: itemtest.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: itemtest.tex --]

\setupitemize[each][width=12pt,distance=6pt,option=intext,indentnext=no]
\setupitemize[1][margin=1cm]
\setupitemize[2][margin=2cm]

% step   dimension
% width   dimension
% distance   dimension
% margin   yes no standard dimension
% leftmargin   yes no standard dimension
% rightmargin   yes no standard dimension
% maxwidth   dimension
% textdistance   small medium big none space dimension

\setupindenting[yes,medium]

\starttext
Leading text (indented)
\startitemize
\startitem
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec dapibus turpis et nulla venenatis tincidunt. Curabitur sit amet vehicula nisi, sit amet
\stopitem
\startitem
porta nunc. Sed congue fermentum ipsum, et commodo lorem aliquam sollicitudin. Nulla odio elit, condimentum fermentum iaculis sit amet, porttitor eu    \startitemize
   \startitem
urna. Cras convallis aliquam sapien, sit amet fermentum est egestas vitae. Phasellus enim felis, rutrum eu velit a, cursus aliquet quam. Vivamus ac    \stopitem
   \startitem
mauris varius, malesuada nisi id, auctor nisi. Donec tristique felis dolor, eget varius
   \stopitem
   \stopitemize

   lectus fringilla (still indented!)
\stopitem
\stopitemize
Trailing text (not indented)
\stoptext

* Re: Itemization formatting (different question)
@ 2019-05-29 14:20 ` Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-05-29 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

Another question on nearly the same subject: how can I get nested itemizations
to listen to the before= and after= keys? AFAICT, they always use the inbetween=
instead of above= and below= keys?

Best wishes as always,
Taco

[-- Attachment #2: itemtest2.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: itemtest2.tex --]

\setupitemize[each][width=12pt,distance=6pt,before=\blank,after=\blank,inbetween=]

\starttext
Leading text
\startitemize
\startitem
[...]

@ 2019-05-29 14:27 ` Tomas Hala
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tomas Hala @ 2019-05-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

probably, there is missing one pair of []:

\setupitemize[1][][margin=1cm]
\setupitemize[2][][margin=2cm]

I tried it with TL2018 and I guess it works.

Best wishes,

Tomáš

Wed, May 29, 2019 ve 04:15:25PM +0200 Taco Hoekwater napsal(a):
# Hi all,
#
# I must be getting old :(
#
[...]

# ___________________________________________________________________________________
# If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
#
# maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
# wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
# ___________________________________________________________________________________

                                         Tomáš Hála

* Re: Itemization formatting
@ 2019-05-29 14:40   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-05-29 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not here. The extra empty brackets seem to ‘destroy’ the option=intext
setting, and I am left with a para going like this:

• Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec dapibus turpis
  et nulla venenatis tincidunt. Curabitur sit amet vehicula nisi, sit amet

instead of

• Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec dapibus turpis
et nulla venenatis tincidunt. Curabitur sit amet vehicula nisi, sit amet

(extra empty brackets rarely are without side-effects)

Best wishes,
Taco

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV

* Re: Itemization formatting
@ 2019-05-29 14:53     ` Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2019-05-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

You're right... And this?

\setupitemize[1][option=intext][margin=1cm]
\setupitemize[2][option=intext][margin=2cm]

Best wishes,
Tomáš

Wed, May 29, 2019 ve 04:40:09PM +0200 Taco Hoekwater napsal(a):
# Hi,
#
[...]
# >
# > Hi Taco,
# >
# > probably, there is missing one pair of []:
# >
# > \setupitemize[1][][margin=1cm]
# > \setupitemize[2][][margin=2cm]
# >
# > I tried it with TL2018 and I guess it works.
# >
# > Best wishes,
# >
# > Tomáš
# >
# >
# >
# >
# > Wed, May 29, 2019 ve 04:15:25PM +0200 Taco Hoekwater napsal(a):
# > # Hi all,
# > #
# > # I must be getting old :(
# > #
# > # ___________________________________________________________________________________
# > # If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
# > #
# > # maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# > # webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# > # archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
# > # wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
# > # ___________________________________________________________________________________
# >
# >
# >                                         Tomáš Hála
# > --------------------------------------------------------------------
# > Mendelova univerzita, Provozně ekonomická fakulta, ústav informatiky
# > Zemědělská 1, CZ-613 00 Brno,  tel. +420 545 13 22 28
# > --------------------------------------------------------------------
# > http://akela.mendelu.cz/~thala
# > ___________________________________________________________________________________

@ 2019-05-29 14:59 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-05-29 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/29/2019 4:15 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I must be getting old :(
>
> It used to be that I could get ConTeXt to do what I wanted, but that is increasingly getting harder.
>
> Current problem: I would like to have itemizations that behave like in this dummy
> ascii formatting:
>
>    *   Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec dapibus turpis et
>    nulla venenatis tincidunt. Curabitur sit amet vehicula nisi, sit amet
\setupitemgroup[itemize][intext,star]

\setupitemgroup[itemize][intext,star]

\startitemize% [intext,star]
     \startitem
         \dorecurse{3}{Taco is getting old, very old, very very old! }
     \stopitem
     \startitem
         \dorecurse{3}{Itemize is one of the oldest mechanism! }
     \stopitem
     \startitem
         \dorecurse{3}{Young Wolfgang will answer all his questions! }
     \stopitem
\stopitemize

* Re: Itemization formatting
@ 2019-05-29 15:01       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-05-29 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 29 May 2019, at 16:53, Tomas Hala <tomas.hala@mendelu.cz> wrote:
>

> You're right... And this?
>
> \setupitemize[1][option=intext][margin=1cm]
> \setupitemize[2][option=intext][margin=2cm]

Sorry, no go, intext is back, but the nested margin setting is ignored.
I also tested with

\setupitemize[1][intext][margin=1cm]
\setupitemize[2][intext][margin=2cm]

and

\setupitemize[1][option=intext,margin=1cm]
\setupitemize[2][option=intext,margin=2cm]

ConText always uses the outermost margin setting only.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Itemization formatting
@ 2019-05-29 15:04   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-05-29 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

You missed this bit:

# > #   \setupitemize[option=intext]
# > #
# > # is nearly right for this case (with indentation equal to the left margin), so I assumed I would
# > # be able to tweak that. But the problem there is that while it does 2-4, it ignores the extra
# > # indentation required for nested itemizations (it even ignores explicit margin= settings for the
# > # nested level). After fighting with this for hours, I am nearly ready to give up.
# > #

> On 29 May 2019, at 16:59, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 5/29/2019 4:15 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I must be getting old :(
>> It used to be that I could get ConTeXt to do what I wanted, but that is increasingly getting harder.
>> Current problem: I would like to have itemizations that behave like in this dummy
>> ascii formatting:
>>   *   Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec dapibus turpis et
>>   nulla venenatis tincidunt. Curabitur sit amet vehicula nisi, sit amet
> \setupitemgroup[itemize][intext,star]
>
> \setupitemgroup[itemize][intext,star]
>
> \startitemize% [intext,star]
>    \startitem
>        \dorecurse{3}{Taco is getting old, very old, very very old! }
>    \stopitem
>    \startitem
>        \dorecurse{3}{Itemize is one of the oldest mechanism! }
>    \stopitem
>    \startitem
>        \dorecurse{3}{Young Wolfgang will answer all his questions! }
>    \stopitem
> \stopitemize

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV

* Re: Itemization formatting (different question)
@ 2019-05-29 15:14   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-05-29 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater schrieb am 29.05.2019 um 16:20:
> Hi again,
>
> Another question on nearly the same subject: how can I get nested itemizations
> to listen to the before= and after= keys? AFAICT, they always use the inbetween=
> instead of above= and below= keys?
ConTeXt supports before/after values for the inner itemizations but they
are hidden by a conditional and there is no official way to change it
(e.g. \setupitemize[spacing=local|global] or \setupitemize[method=1|2|3]).
Wolfgang

* Re: Itemization formatting (different question)
@ 2019-05-29 15:20     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-05-29 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

So the answer is no right now, then? In that case, I would like to log a formal
feature request ;)

Taco

> On 29 May 2019, at 17:14, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Taco Hoekwater schrieb am 29.05.2019 um 16:20:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Another question on nearly the same subject: how can I get nested itemizations
>> to listen to the before= and after= keys? AFAICT, they always use the inbetween=
>> instead of above= and below= keys?
> ConTeXt supports before/after values for the inner itemizations but they are hidden by a conditional and there is no official way to change it (e.g. \setupitemize[spacing=local|global] or \setupitemize[method=1|2|3]).
> Wolfgang

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV

* Re: Itemization formatting
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-29 15:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-05-29 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

\start

     \definesymbol[mystar][\llap{\symbol{star}\hskip10mm}]

     \setupitemgroup[itemize][intext,mystar]
     \setupitemgroup[itemize][leftmargin=15mm,rightmargin=5mm]
     \setupitemgroup[itemize][width=2cm,distance=-25mm]

     \startitemize
         \startitem
             \dorecurse{3}{Taco likes an occasional hack! }
         \stopitem
     \stopitemize

\stop

\start

     \definesymbol[mystar][\rlap{\hskip10mm\symbol{star}}]

     \setupitemgroup[itemize][intext,mystar]
     \setupitemgroup[itemize][leftmargin=15mm,rightmargin=5mm]
     \setupitemgroup[itemize][width=1cm,distance=5mm]

     \startitemize
         \startitem
             \dorecurse{3}{Taco likes an occasional hack! }
         \stopitem
     \stopitemize

\stop

But what you're actually asking is something hangindent yes?

Hans

* Re: Itemization formatting (different question)
@ 2019-05-29 15:26       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-05-29 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/29/2019 5:20 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> So the answer is no right now, then? In that case, I would like to log a formal
> feature request ;)
so a nested margin would be enough?

* Re: Itemization formatting
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-29 15:31 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-05-29 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater schrieb am 29.05.2019 um 16:15:
> Hi all,
>
> I must be getting old :(
>
> It used to be that I could get ConTeXt to do what I wanted, but that is increasingly getting harder.
>
> Current problem: I would like to have itemizations that behave like in this dummy
> ascii formatting:
>
>    *   Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec dapibus turpis et
>    nulla venenatis tincidunt. Curabitur sit amet vehicula nisi, sit amet
>
> and so far it has been impossible for me to set up \setupitemize to do what I want.
>
> In descriptive text, what I want is:
>
> 1. some global indentation to the left and/or right. That is what the margin= key does
> 2. the symbol (or number) typeset in a specific width. That is the width= key
> 3. some distance between the number box and the following text. That is the distance= key
> 4. on line 2 and forward to the end of the item, I want a *different* indentation from the first item line.
>
> In this particular case, I want no extra indentation except for ‘margin’, but in other
> cases I may like either more or less indentation than on line 1 of the first para of the item.
>
> The desired effect is simple achieve with primitive operations, but I would like the input
> to look nice (not to mention that I do not want to loose options for cross-referencing etc).
>
>    \setupitemize[option=intext]
>
> is nearly right for this case (with indentation equal to the left margin), so I assumed I would
> be able to tweak that. But the problem there is that while it does 2-4, it ignores the extra
> indentation required for nested itemizations (it even ignores explicit margin= settings for the
> nested level). After fighting with this for hours, I am nearly ready to give up.
>
> Anybody have any idea how to get itemizations to do what I want?
>
> MWE attached.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco
> PS It seems that “indentnext=no” does not work for nested itemizations?

You can use the "text" option and add \par at the end of each item but
your requirements (hanging text, different margin and before/after
ssettings) are easier to solve with a description or enumeration.

\definesymbol
   [taco]
   [{\inframed[frame=off,width=2em,align=flushleft]{\textbullet}}]

\starttext

\samplefile{zapf}

\startitemize[text][symbol=taco]
   \item \samplefile{weisman}\par