* rsync problems
       [not found] <mailman.3249.1193848623.2346.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-10-31 21:54 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-10-31 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello,

I use

rsync -rvzctl rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/minimals/windows  tex

but get the error message. Previously, the same command worked successfully for me. Is something broken on the server?

G:\rsync>rsync -rvzctl rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/minimals/windows  tex
receiving file list ... rsync: link_stat "/minimals/windows" (in minimals) faile
d: No such file or directory (2)
done

sent 4 bytes  received 9 bytes  8.67 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1385) [rece
iver=2.6.9]

Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* New build problems
       [not found] <mailman.3249.1193848623.2346.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-10-31 23:04 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-10-31 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello

New context build is not friendly at all: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000022)" windows fatal error is displayed twice.

Here is the log:
G:\rsync\win\texmf-win>texexec --make --luatex
TeXExec | using search method 'kpsewhich'
TeXExec | updating file database
TeXExec | using tex engine luatex
TeXExec | using tex format path ./luatex
TeXExec | unable to make format due to lack of permissions
TeXExec | using mp engine mpost
TeXExec | using mps format path .
TeXExec | generating mps format metafun
TeXExec |
TeXExec | mps engine path: .
TeXExec |
TeXExec |
TeXExec | runtime: 70.969

Sure, I still have to play with env variables (nearly all of them require updating when migrating to new build).

Where the LUAINPUT var should point to? And why it is not found in setuptex.bat? Is it needed at all?

Best,
Vaytcheslav

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-10-31 23:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-10-31 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello
>
> New context build is not friendly at all: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000022)" windows fatal error is displayed twice.

i've never seen that one before ... where does it come from?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-01 12:04     ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-11-01 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Hans,

> i've never seen that one before ... where does it come from?
Surprise! :)

It comes whenever I run luatools.cmd from the latest build.

(See attachements)
--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

[-- Attachment #2: 2007-11-01_135920.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 5535 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: 2007-11-01_140236.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 6499 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: 2007-11-01_140332.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7277 bytes --]

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-01 12:06     ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-11-01 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Hans,

To be more specific, it is texlua.exe that causes that awful crash, even run alone.

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-01 12:17       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-11-01 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yatskovsky; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> To be more specific, it is texlua.exe that causes that awful crash, even run alone.

hm, something wrong with the binary then

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-01 12:38         ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
       [not found]           ` <4729DACD.8060102@wxs.nl>
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-11-01 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Hans,

> hm, something wrong with the binary then

Very probably it is.

Meanwhile, two questions:

1) Where LUANPUTS should point to? Or it is of no use in the new build?

2) Is the folder "texmf-context\scripts\context\lua" really needed? It seems like all that files are found in "texmf-win\bin" folder. (At least, should I include it into my path?)

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: New build problems
       [not found]           ` <4729DACD.8060102@wxs.nl>
@ 2007-11-01 19:37             ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-11-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Hans,

Is some additional info needed from me to fix this issue?

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: New build problems
       [not found]           ` <4729DACD.8060102@wxs.nl>
@ 2007-11-01 21:13           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-11-01 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Vyatcheslav,

First: thanks a lot for your patience and for testing.

Just to explain it: Hans is only indirectly involved in this, so if
anyone is to be blamed for non-functionality, that's me or Arthur (who
will probably deny everything :-) on the first place. Hans is only
responsible for those parts which are already working :)

Last time when it failed to work in a similar manner on windows, it
has been a problem with rsync (some builds simply fail to work
properly) and I kept getting errors related to some knd of
permissions. (read as: when I downloaded the binaries with rsync under
mac and saved them on a shared partition, they worked OK on windows,
but they didn't work when I downloaded them with rsync on windows).

The most weird thing is that it already worked on your computer, and
it kind-of-works on mine, and I don't remember doing anything except
changing folder names (perhaps I missed some details inbetween), so I
have absolutely no idea where things could go wrong. What if you
change directory names manually (after downloading) back to the
original ones?

Mojca

On 11/1/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> > hm, something wrong with the binary then
>
> Very probably it is.
>
> Meanwhile, two questions:
>
> 1) Where LUANPUTS should point to? Or it is of no use in the new build?

LUAINPUTS is set in texmf.cnf already, so you don't need any
environmental variable.

> 2) Is the folder "texmf-context\scripts\context\lua" really needed? It seems like all that files are found in "texmf-win\bin" folder. (At least, should I include it into my path?)

You don't need to include texmf-context\scripts\context\lua in PATH.
In any case, that folder is the true source. texmf-win\bin is composed
of:
- texmfstart.exe
- different standard binaries (pdfTeX, XeTeX, LuaTeX, metapost, ...)
- .bat/.cmd files
- lua files (Hans said they're needed, so I copied them there from
\scripts\context\lua)

Mojca

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-02  0:55             ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-11-02  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mojca Miklavec; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Mojca,

Thank you.

I'm not in position to change dir names because it doesn't help with that error (I tried), and I updated my environment variables for the new build.

Really, it is not important which part doesn't work if they don't work at all. :) Who compiled texlua?

Thank you for explanations again and I will have them in mind.

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-02  8:30               ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-11-02  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yatskovsky; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

On 11/2/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello Mojca,
>
> Thank you.
>
> I'm not in position to change dir names because it doesn't help with that error (I tried), and I updated my environment variables for the new build.
>
> Really, it is not important which part doesn't work if they don't work at all. :) Who compiled texlua?

I take it from Akira's page (W32TeX). I don't know which version
exacly it was (files date back to 08-Sep-2007 03:06). I stopped
fetching the latest version from svn since Hans and Taco said that it
would be better to wait for the new beta instead of having the latest
non-working version :). But I didn't change anyhing about the binaries
since almost two months (unless I forgot to include some files). So I
really have no idea where to start looking for the problems. In any
case: luatex should not crash.

Hans reported that overwriting the existing bin directory with the old
binaries worked (but that was rsync problem). Which rsync are you
using?

Mojca

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-02 12:43                 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-11-02 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mojca Miklavec; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Mojca,

I use rather old rsync. Did it change recently?
So, you think that the file was broken while fetching... May be, I' going to retry.

Thank you

-
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-02 22:21                 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-11-02 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mojca Miklavec; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello,

The new build works..  after copying the bin folder into bin2, deleting it, and renaming bin2 to bin.

Something very strange is going on here ...

Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-02 22:46                   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-11-02 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yatskovsky; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

On 11/2/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The new build works..  after copying the bin folder into bin2, deleting it, and renaming bin2 to bin.
>
> Something very strange is going on here ...

Hmmm ... I don't understand that either, but in that case I really
suspect rsync.

Thanks a lot for testing :)

Mojca

* Re: New build problems
@ 2007-11-03 10:10                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-11-03 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 11/2/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The new build works..  after copying the bin folder into bin2, deleting it, and renaming bin2 to bin.
>>
>> Something very strange is going on here ...
>
> Hmmm ... I don't understand that either, but in that case I really
> suspect rsync.
>
> Thanks a lot for testing :)

when rsyncing times on the machines need to be in sync; when unsure, use
the -c option (which is chechsum based)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE