From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
Subject: new version
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 20:14:04 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

The current version of lmtx has some updated tracing of memory usage.
This is irrelevant for most users but some of you generat elarge an
complex files so ... (I'm talking about mf here).

There is a command line option

   --usage

that will make a run report some more statistics. The info shown might
look somewhat cryptic but we basically have (per category)

- max: the maximum allowed memory (for many categories we can make that
larger, but I need proof that it's needed)

- min: this is how we start out

- stp: when more memory is needed, this is the step that we use to increase

- set: this is the value that context configures by default, often
larger than min, and less than max

- mem: the memory usage (often in units)

- all: the real usage (multiplied by the unit)

- ini, ptr and top: are the startup values (when something is also
stored in the format), the current usage and the max usage (all within
the mentioned min-max range).

The rest speaks for itself. Font usage reflects only the tex end, of
course there is plenty usage at the lua end. The language info .... I
might extend that with pattern and exception usage. Actually, tex memory
usage is not that large in luametatex.

When mem gets increased, there is a message. We can use that to
eventually determine the best values. Actually we might even lower some
initial values (not that it matters much, lua uses more).

Of course there is also

   --timing

but that one has been there from the start, although I did update it to
reflect the more detailed tracing. The graphics are the same as always:
red lines are usage, the blue line is the runtime.

In general, memory management has been improved: all categories are now
more dynamic, there is more checking for overflows, there is some
recovery slack in allocation, etc. I will play a bit more some of it,
for instance we might end up with more detailed configuration options,
in addition the the already new ones.

Hans