* new version
@ 2020-08-25 18:14 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-08-25 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

The current version of lmtx has some updated tracing of memory usage.
This is irrelevant for most users but some of you generat elarge an
complex files so ... (I'm talking about mf here).

There is a command line option

   --usage

that will make a run report some more statistics. The info shown might
look somewhat cryptic but we basically have (per category)

- max: the maximum allowed memory (for many categories we can make that
larger, but I need proof that it's needed)

- min: this is how we start out

- stp: when more memory is needed, this is the step that we use to increase

- set: this is the value that context configures by default, often
larger than min, and less than max

- mem: the memory usage (often in units)

- all: the real usage (multiplied by the unit)

- ini, ptr and top: are the startup values (when something is also
stored in the format), the current usage and the max usage (all within
the mentioned min-max range).

The rest speaks for itself. Font usage reflects only the tex end, of
course there is plenty usage at the lua end. The language info .... I
might extend that with pattern and exception usage. Actually, tex memory
usage is not that large in luametatex.

When mem gets increased, there is a message. We can use that to
eventually determine the best values. Actually we might even lower some
initial values (not that it matters much, lua uses more).

Of course there is also

   --timing

but that one has been there from the start, although I did update it to
reflect the more detailed tracing. The graphics are the same as always:
red lines are usage, the blue line is the runtime.

In general, memory management has been improved: all categories are now
more dynamic, there is more checking for overflows, there is some
recovery slack in allocation, etc. I will play a bit more some of it,
for instance we might end up with more detailed configuration options,
in addition the the already new ones.

Hans

* Re: new version
@ 2020-06-10 15:05 ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2020-06-10 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

The problem with vertical spacing in \frac and \over is fixed. Many thanks,
Hans!

Alan

* new version
@ 2020-06-10  8:02 Hans Hagen

     #1=\scratchcounter\getdatavalue{#1}\the\scratchcounter
} \par \stop \blank

\start \tttf \darkgreen \raggedright \dorecurse {100} {
     #1=\thedatavalue{#1}%
} \par \stop \blank

@ 2008-04-11  9:48       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-11  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> This was something i never understood in the past, the difference
> between the "name" setting for buffers and MP graphics.

the mp related commands are low level commands, there was never a high
level interface to it (using [] etc)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2008-04-11  7:50     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-11  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> concerning the mplibrary in mkiv ...
> >>
> >> - it does not use the metafun mem file; when formats are generated a
> >> special mem file is made and put alongside the context format
> >>
> >> - however, this only happens when a new version is found (is the case
> >> with a new zip), or when an error is encountered in the format
> >> (compatibility issue)
> >>
> >> - in case of doubt, or when you patch metafun, you can say
> >>
> >> ctxtool --touch
> >> texexec --make
> >>
> >> i will try to make this more robust in the future
> >>
> >> the new mkiv mp graphics implementations is prepared for mixed usage,
> >> i.e. we can use multiple metapost formats; i'm still not sure about the
> >> interface, for instance:
> >>
> >> \startuseMPgraphic{metafun:bla} ...
> >>
> >> \startuseMPgraphic{mpost:bla} ...
> >>
> >> or so, more news later
> >
> > This could break existing code. I sometimes use
> > \startuseMPgraphic{system:bla} and {system:blabla} etc to distinguish all
> > "system diagrams".
>
> sure, but seldom metafun: i suppose -)
>
> > How about
> >
> > 1. \defineMPreusegraphic[useMPgraphic][format=metafun]
> >     \defineMPreusegraphic[useMPOSTgraphic][format=mpost]
> >   and then one can use \startuseMPgraphic and \startuseMPOSTgraphic.
> >
> > 2. If you have to make the label of the graphic determine the format, then
> > maybe something like
> >
> > \startuseMPgraphic{::metafun::bla} so that it does not break existing
> > code.
>
> \startuseMPgraphic[metafun]{...} is also an option but not consistent,
> unless we provide
>
> \startuseMPgraphic[optional format][name][optional settings]
>
> which i somehow dislike
>
> > 3. What about \startMPcode, \startMPpage, and \processMPbuffer? I think
> > that the first approach will be easier to adapt.
>
> another option is:
>
> \useMPformat{metafun}

\setupsystem
   [mpformat=metafun]

> (the reason for { }instead of [] is that it then can be used within []
> without extra {})

This was something i never understood in the past, the difference
between the "name" setting for buffers and MP graphics.

> yet another option is
>
> \startMPcode
>   mpformat := "metafun"
> \stopMPcode

No.

Wolfgang

* Re: new version
@ 2008-04-11  7:39   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-11  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> concerning the mplibrary in mkiv ...
>>
>> - it does not use the metafun mem file; when formats are generated a
>> special mem file is made and put alongside the context format
>>
>> - however, this only happens when a new version is found (is the case
>> with a new zip), or when an error is encountered in the format
>> (compatibility issue)
>>
>> - in case of doubt, or when you patch metafun, you can say
>>
>> ctxtool --touch
>> texexec --make
>>
>> i will try to make this more robust in the future
>>
>> the new mkiv mp graphics implementations is prepared for mixed usage,
>> i.e. we can use multiple metapost formats; i'm still not sure about the
>> interface, for instance:
>>
>> \startuseMPgraphic{metafun:bla} ...
>>
>> \startuseMPgraphic{mpost:bla} ...
>>
>> or so, more news later
>
> This could break existing code. I sometimes use
> \startuseMPgraphic{system:bla} and {system:blabla} etc to distinguish all
> "system diagrams".

sure, but seldom metafun: i suppose -)

> How about
>
> 1. \defineMPreusegraphic[useMPgraphic][format=metafun]
>     \defineMPreusegraphic[useMPOSTgraphic][format=mpost]
>   and then one can use \startuseMPgraphic and \startuseMPOSTgraphic.
>
> 2. If you have to make the label of the graphic determine the format, then
> maybe something like
>
> \startuseMPgraphic{::metafun::bla} so that it does not break existing
> code.

\startuseMPgraphic[metafun]{...} is also an option but not consistent,
unless we provide

\startuseMPgraphic[optional format][name][optional settings]

which i somehow dislike

> 3. What about \startMPcode, \startMPpage, and \processMPbuffer? I think
> that the first approach will be easier to adapt.

another option is:

\useMPformat{metafun}

(the reason for { }instead of [] is that it then can be used within []
without extra {})

yet another option is

\startMPcode
   mpformat := "metafun"
\stopMPcode

and parse for it, but that has other disadvantages; anyhow ... more
thinking needed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2008-04-11  4:33 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-04-11  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> concerning the mplibrary in mkiv ...
>
> - it does not use the metafun mem file; when formats are generated a
> special mem file is made and put alongside the context format
>
> - however, this only happens when a new version is found (is the case
> with a new zip), or when an error is encountered in the format
> (compatibility issue)
>
> - in case of doubt, or when you patch metafun, you can say
>
> ctxtool --touch
> texexec --make
>
> i will try to make this more robust in the future
>
> the new mkiv mp graphics implementations is prepared for mixed usage,
> i.e. we can use multiple metapost formats; i'm still not sure about the
> interface, for instance:
>
> \startuseMPgraphic{metafun:bla} ...
>
> \startuseMPgraphic{mpost:bla} ...
>
> or so, more news later

This could break existing code. I sometimes use
\startuseMPgraphic{system:bla} and {system:blabla} etc to distinguish all
"system diagrams".

How about

1. \defineMPreusegraphic[useMPgraphic][format=metafun]
    \defineMPreusegraphic[useMPOSTgraphic][format=mpost]

and then one can use \startuseMPgraphic and \startuseMPOSTgraphic.

2. If you have to make the label of the graphic determine the format, then
maybe something like

\startuseMPgraphic{::metafun::bla} so that it does not break existing
code.

3. What about \startMPcode, \startMPpage, and \processMPbuffer? I think
that the first approach will be easier to adapt.

Aditya

* new version
@ 2008-04-10 22:24 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-10 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

concerning the mplibrary in mkiv ...

- it does not use the metafun mem file; when formats are generated a
special mem file is made and put alongside the context format

- however, this only happens when a new version is found (is the case
with a new zip), or when an error is encountered in the format
(compatibility issue)

- in case of doubt, or when you patch metafun, you can say

ctxtool --touch
texexec --make

i will try to make this more robust in the future

the new mkiv mp graphics implementations is prepared for mixed usage,
i.e. we can use multiple metapost formats; i'm still not sure about the
interface, for instance:

\startuseMPgraphic{metafun:bla} ...

\startuseMPgraphic{mpost:bla} ...

or so, more news later

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-28 18:18         ` Stuart Jansen
From: Stuart Jansen @ 2005-05-28 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 17:07 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> See
>
>     http://contextgarden.net/Context_2005.05.25
>
> for a rather detailed list of changes.

Thank you. Very helpful. In particular, I'd missed the SVG support
announcement, and I'm excited to play with that.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this new release.

--
Stuart Jansen <sjansen@gurulabs.com>
Guru Labs, L.C.

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-27 19:09         ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-05-27 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Berry

Hans Hagen said this at Fri, 27 May 2005 20:22:03 +0200:

>there is also code like:
>
>         if (($UseEnginePath)&&($EngineDone)) {
>             $FormatPath = `$kpsewhich --engine=$EnginePath --show-
path=fmt` ;
>         } else {
>             $FormatPath = `$kpsewhich --show-path=fmt` ;
>         }

Yeah, I tried using $EnginePath when poking at the function, but I guess
your new checktexformatpath() is called before that's defined?

>what does --show-path=fmt
>
>reports?

as expected (piped command to help legibility):

% kpsewhich --show-path=fmt | tr : '\n'
.
/Users/atl/Library/texmf/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c///
/Users/atl/Library/texmf/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c///

% kpsewhich --show-path=fmt --engine=pragma | tr : '\n'
.
/Users/atl/Library/texmf/web2c/pragma//
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/pragma//
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/web2c/pragma//
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c/pragma//
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/pragma//
/Users/atl/Library/texmf/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c///
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c///

 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-27 18:41         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-27 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005, Adam Lindsay wrote:
>

>>Hans Hagen said this at Fri, 27 May 2005 01:34:57 +0200:
>>

>>>what does
>>>
>>>  texmfstart newtexexec --make --all
>>>
>>>do?
>>
>>Interesting...
>>It builds the formats (not engine aware in terms of where it puts
>>the .fmt files--at least it uses different switches compared to what I'm
>>used to), but (old)texexec did that too.
>>
>>What's interesting is that it doesn't insist on rebuilding the format on
>>a normal (--pdf) run. (And it's fast: does it buffer the terminal output?)
>

> Hello,
> I have the same problem on Linux, but I don't have texmfstart...
> Are there other solutions or is texmfstart now needed to run texexec?
> Cheers, Peter

you do have texmfstart, just copy texmfstart.rb to texmfstart in one of your bin
paths (texmfstart is one of the core components of the context scripts, being
the only way i can guarantee upward compatibility when drastic changes take
place in the tds/distributions)

(there is a manual on the website)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-27 18:22       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Berry

Adam Lindsay wrote:
> Hans Hagen said this at Fri, 27 May 2005 01:29:30 +0200:
>

>>well, this magic line will append web2c/{$ENGINE,} to each path,
>

> Okay, that's part of the problem: your code isn't detecting the presence
> of $ENGINE in my path... It's there already! (Thanks, Gerben.) The line
> from texmf.cnf:
>
>    TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}//
>
> However:
>
> % kpsewhich --expand-var=\$TEXFORMATS
>  .:{/Users/atl/Library/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local,
> !!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex,
> !!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf}/web2c/{,}//
>                                       ^^^
> But:
>
> % kpsewhich --engine=pdfetex --expand-var=\$TEXFORMATS
>  .:{/Users/atl/Library/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local,
> !!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex,
> !!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf}/web2c/{pdfetex,}//

there is also code like:

         if (($UseEnginePath)&&($EngineDone)) {
             $FormatPath = `$kpsewhich --engine=$EnginePath --show-path=fmt` ;
         } else {
             $FormatPath = `$kpsewhich --show-path=fmt` ;
         }

what does --show-path=fmt

reports?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-27 18:20       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-05-27 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Adam Lindsay wrote:

> Hans Hagen said this at Fri, 27 May 2005 01:34:57 +0200:
>
> >what does
> >
> >   texmfstart newtexexec --make --all
> >
> >do?
>
> Interesting...
> It builds the formats (not engine aware in terms of where it puts
> the .fmt files--at least it uses different switches compared to what I'm
> used to), but (old)texexec did that too.
>
> What's interesting is that it doesn't insist on rebuilding the format on
> a normal (--pdf) run. (And it's fast: does it buffer the terminal output?)

Hello,
I have the same problem on Linux, but I don't have texmfstart...
Are there other solutions or is texmfstart now needed to run texexec?
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-27 18:17         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> My apologies: the formatting is not very pretty and perhaps I've been
> a bit too brief here and there, but after two days of this I'm a bit
> bored with it. Perhaps I will fix the pages later.

thanks! very helpful too see what was changed, i must buy you a beer next time
we meet

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-27 15:07       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-05-27 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

See

    http://contextgarden.net/Context_2005.05.25

for a rather detailed list of changes.

My apologies: the formatting is not very pretty and perhaps I've been
a bit too brief here and there, but after two days of this I'm a bit
bored with it. Perhaps I will fix the pages later.

Greetings, Taco

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>> expect some delays. The diff -r file has 33846 lines :-)
>>

>> lucky you, it's mostly patterns -)
>

> All those patterns are just one line, I'm afraid:
>
>   Only in 20050525/tex/context: patterns
>
> looks like there is quite a lot of .map activity going
> on though. Anyway, I'll take me a few days to sort this
> through.

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-27 14:49     ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-05-27 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Berry

Hans Hagen said this at Fri, 27 May 2005 01:29:30 +0200:

>well, this magic line will append web2c/{$ENGINE,} to each path,

Okay, that's part of the problem: your code isn't detecting the presence
of $ENGINE in my path... It's there already! (Thanks, Gerben.) The line
from texmf.cnf:

   TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}//

However:

% kpsewhich --expand-var=\$TEXFORMATS
 .:{/Users/atl/Library/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local,
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex,
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf}/web2c/{,}//
                                      ^^^
But:

% kpsewhich --engine=pdfetex --expand-var=\$TEXFORMATS
 .:{/Users/atl/Library/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local,
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex,
!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf}/web2c/{pdfetex,}//
                                       ^^^^^^^

>including the
>share/texmf.local path so i'm puzzled; one complication is that kpse is
>not able
>to report the path that will be used (probably for good reason); so the
>format
>should end up in:
>
>!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/pdfetex/cont-en.fmt
>
>could it be that the /{,}// is playing tricks? can you try to add
>
>         $texformats =~ s/\{\,\}\/\/// ;

Tried that. Didn't change anything.

>i.e. get rid of the trailing crap so that th eend looks like /web2c/
>{$ENGINE,}/
>
>can you check at what value texexec sets $ENGINE ?

erm, it didn't seem to be set at that function.

>(setting TEXFORMATS at the shell level will also work; that is what i
>normally
>have)

I've done that too, but I haven't been able to get that to work
correctly with multiple engines (problem in when the variables get
expanded?)... it probably would work for me with this current texexec
snapshot.

>watch this mix of teTeX and tetex and Users and Library vs share; if i
>would not
>know better, i'd think it was a blob of tricky perl code -)

:)
It's just Gerben being clever and convenient w/r/t directory structure
for Mac users--all legitimate.

adam

@ 2005-05-27 13:45       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-27 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay wrote:

> Interesting...
> It builds the formats (not engine aware in terms of where it puts
> the .fmt files--at least it uses different switches compared to what I'm
> used to), but (old)texexec did that too.
>
> What's interesting is that it doesn't insist on rebuilding the format on
> a normal (--pdf) run. (And it's fast: does it buffer the terminal output?)
>
> in summary:
> texexec --make --all
>   Builds the formats.
> texexec --pdf myfile
>   fails to find the format, builds it, runs the file
> texmfstart newtexexec --make --all
>   Builds the formats.
> texmfstart newtexexec --pdf myfile
>   finds the format correctly, runs the file quickly.
>
> texmfstart newtexexec --make --xtx --engine en
>   Builds a XeTeX format, but leaves it in the web2c directory
> texexec --make --xtx --engine en
>   Builds a XeTeX format, and correctly puts it in web2c/xetex
>
> hmm. Honestly, I personally didn't have any complaints with the
> operation of the previous version of texexec.

well, i had complaints -) lin win and mac all behave differently, party due to
differences in distribution (on our machines i set texformsts explicitly so
there is no real problem there) \

can you try

texmfstart newtexexec --make --engine=xetex en

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-27 13:27     ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-05-27 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-05-26 23:34   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-26 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay wrote:

>>the next (main) release will probably have a new texexec (ruby
>>version, smoother, faster, more clever, no ini file etc)

what does

   texmfstart newtexexec --make --all

do?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-26 23:29   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-26 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Berry

Adam Lindsay wrote:

(i cc to karl who knows more about the detry details of path expansion than i do)

> Hans Hagen said this at Wed, 25 May 2005 17:34:24 +0200:
>
>>the next (main) release will probably have a new texexec (ruby
>>version, smoother, faster, more clever, no ini file etc)
>

> Hmm. I hand-updated to the latest, and now texexec wants to rebuild the
> format on every run.
>
> I'm not used to seeing this, anyone have any hints on where to poke around?
>
> (the format is in texmf.local/web2c/ and in a pdfetex subdir. I've
> texhashed, too.)

since engine support is either broken or not implemented in kpse/tetex, i need
to sort it out myself; this is done in:

sub checktexformatpath {
     # engine support is either broken of not implemented in some
     # distributions, so we need to take care of it ourselves
     my $texformats ;
     if (defined($ENV{'TEXFORMATS'})) {
         $texformats = $ENV{'TEXFORMATS'} ;
     } else{
         $texformats = '' ;
     }
     if ($texformats eq '') {
         if ($dosish) {
             $texformats = `kpsewhich --expand-var=\$TEXFORMATS`.chomp ;
         } else {
             $texformats = `kpsewhich --expand-var=\\\$TEXFORMATS`.chomp ;
         }
     }
     if ($texformats !~ /web2c[\/\\].*\$ENGINE/) {
         $texformats =~ s/web2c/web2c\/{\$ENGINE,}/ ;
         $ENV{'TEXFORMATS'} = $texformats ;
         print " fixing texformat path : $ENV{'TEXFORMATS'}\n";
     }
     if (! defined($ENV{'ENGINE'})) {
         if ($MpEngineSupport) {
             $ENV{'ENGINE'} .= $MpExecutable ;
         } ;
         $ENV{'ENGINE'} = $TeXExecutable ;
         print "fixing engine variable : $ENV{'ENGINE'}\n";     ## just added

     }
}

how i hate this naming; when -long ago- i started using local trees, i adopted
the texmf-local naming that i noticed in those days, and look what we have here:

>  fixing texformat path : .:{/Users/atl/Library/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/
> share/texmf.local,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex,!!/usr/local/
> teTeX/share/texmf.tetex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf}/web2c/{$ENGINE,}/{,}//
> 0

well, this magic line will append web2c/{$ENGINE,} to each path, including the
share/texmf.local path so i'm puzzled; one complication is that kpse is not able
to report the path that will be used (probably for good reason); so the format
should end up in:

!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/pdfetex/cont-en.fmt

could it be that the /{,}// is playing tricks? can you try to add

         $texformats =~ s/\{\,\}\/\/// ;

i.e. get rid of the trailing crap so that th eend looks like /web2c/{$ENGINE,}/

can you check at what value texexec sets $ENGINE ?

(setting TEXFORMATS at the shell level will also work; that is what i normally
have)

watch this mix of teTeX and tetex and Users and Library vs share; if i would not
know better, i'd think it was a blob of tricky perl code -)

last time i tried it on the mac it worked, so i must try again

the file should end up in web2c/pdftex

> fmtutil: running `pdfetex -ini   -jobname=cont-en -progname=context

forget about fmtutil, it cannot and will not handle engines

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-26 21:57 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-05-26 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen said this at Wed, 25 May 2005 17:34:24 +0200:

> the next (main) release will probably have a new texexec (ruby
>version, smoother, faster, more clever, no ini file etc)

Hmm. I hand-updated to the latest, and now texexec wants to rebuild the
format on every run.

I'm not used to seeing this, anyone have any hints on where to poke around?

(the format is in texmf.local/web2c/ and in a pdfetex subdir. I've
texhashed, too.)

adam

 fixing texformat path : .:{/Users/atl/Library/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/
share/texmf.local,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex,!!/usr/local/
teTeX/share/texmf.tetex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf}/web2c/{$ENGINE,}/{,}//
0
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : llll
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
 \write18 enabled.
 (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/natural.tcx)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-en.fmt
fmtutil: running `pdfetex -ini   -jobname=cont-en -progname=context
-8bit *cont-en.ini' ...
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4) (INITEX)

@ 2005-05-25 20:07   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-25 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:34:24 +0200, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I posted a new version of context.
>

> Does the multi-format engine work now?
> :-)

it should; just try the latest

   texexec --make --engine=aleph  --all
   texexec --make --all

(The new texexec will provide more status info about what is generated)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-25 19:26 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-25 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:34:24 +0200, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I posted a new version of context.

Does the multi-format engine work now?
:-)

Best to the best
Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-25 19:25     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-05-25 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-05-25 19:00   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-25 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> it's upto taco to write the usual announcement -)
>

> expect some delays. The diff -r file has 33846 lines :-)

lucky you, it's mostly patterns -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2005-05-25 18:42 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-05-25 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it's upto taco to write the usual announcement -)

expect some delays. The diff -r file has 33846 lines :-)

Taco

* new version
@ 2005-05-25 15:34 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-25 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I posted a new version of context. There are a few new things, like pattern snow
being part of the zip, and runtime graphic conversions (more about that when i
have more time); the next (main) release will probably have a new texexec (ruby
version, smoother, faster, more clever, no ini file etc)

btw, i need a miktex user who wants to test the ruby texexec version

it's upto taco to write the usual announcement -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* new version
@ 2004-01-13 16:41 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-01-13 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded a new version with a couple of patches discussed previously

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: new version
@ 2003-09-17 17:47 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-09-17 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>  At 14:25 17/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>
>   > What is needed is a kind of extension to placefigure[top] where figures
>  are *still* placed top/bottom but *also* are surrounded by text (right or
>  left).
>
>  this is kind of impossible in tex since it works per paragraph and during
>  that it has no concept of crossing a page boundary; i presume that i can
>  cook up something for a controlled situation but it's far from trivial
>
>  Hans

That would be great Hans!

I'm curious what dish you will serve .-)

Steffen

* Re: new version
@ 2003-09-17 16:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-17 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-09-17 12:25 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-09-17 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  The last hour I fixed a couple of things that came up during the recent
>  dante/gutenberg tex conferences as well as added the table thingies
>  discussed here. (for the split lovers: there was a small bug in the patch i
>  sent earlier; actually the patch broke some of my existing files -)
>
>  the main as well as the beta files have been upgraded
>
>  Hans

Hi Hans,

that's good news.

I almost don't dare to ask, but...
do you think that you might have now a little time to look at the
placefigure[top,left] topic?

The solution that you proposed some days ago unfortunately doesn't help much:
\hangsidefloat[2] \placefigure[left] {}{} \dorecurse{3}{\input ward\par}

What is needed is a kind of extension to placefigure[top] where
figures are *still* placed top/bottom but *also* are surrounded by
text (right or left).

I am really sorry for being persistent, but the main reason for me to
switch from LaTeX to ConTeXt was that I thought that some has much
more possibilities in placing figures in ConTeXt than in LaTeX.

And I was honestly surprised that this is not implemented yet, as it
is such a frequently used feature - at least in the books of
humanities, art history etc. it is very, very common.

You said that it should not be too difficult - and it really would be
a great feature for ConTeXt!!

What do you think?

Steffen

P.S. Sorry, hope I don't annoy you too much...

>>2. Isn't it possible to make a kind of combination between the placefigure
>>options top and left (for example), so that a small picture can have text
>>floating around it but it is placed at the top of the page (like big
>>landscape formats would be with the top option)?

>2. should not be too difficult, i'll look into it
>
>Hans
>
>--

* new version
@ 2003-09-17 10:50 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-17 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-08-07 16:02 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-08-07 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Since it's tex live freezing time, I uploaded a new version. There ar enot
that many changes (i moved a few things from cont-new/cont-loc to the core
modules [cont-loc is my personal optimized code / new thingies file]).

I also added type-akb (patricks adobekb) file to the distribution since we
need it to get those free fonts working in tetex and derived systems (tex
live is normally a bit more complete with regards to metrics). Be careful
in using this typescipts: the metrics may not match the fonts and i dislike
the idea of ps metric names and urw fots; Personally i always use the urw
metrics and fonts and *always* embed them. I'll post a zip with additional
font metrics later.

To texexec, i added some cleverness to run xml files and i will add some
morelater. Also, from now on (in order to avoid too many mails of users who
forget to run mktexlsr) i now run mktexlsr before generating formats. [i
hope that i got the miktex alternative well, i'll install miktex in a
virtual machine later].

@ 2002-07-31  8:29             ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-07-31  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:06:15 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >The first update to the current release was a mixture of
> >TeXLive ConTeXt and the current release. After i have
> >setup the current release properly, the things are worse
> >then before.
>
> strange since it does work here (are you sure that you deleted the test
> stuff sent you?)

i did.

> I'll send you what i generate here, which is what i expert

okay i see that line numbering is active in your example.
I have no idea what else i can do?!

But look in jens.pdf you have send to me. All
\typefile outputs start at line 1 of zapf.tex, thus all
start=<line number> (not the =continue) statements are
ignored or do not work.

Additionally the line numbering of the 3rd \typefile
statement is very strange to me. Why the numbering
starts at "2" but the output starts at the first line
of zapf.tex.

Thanks. Best,
  Jens

* Re: new version
@ 2002-07-30 21:06           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-30 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

@ 2002-07-30  9:56         ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-07-30  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:33:47 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 11:09 AM 7/29/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> >
> >But still i have the problem that
> >  \setuptyping[file][numbering=file]
> >does not activate line numbering.
> >
> >Have i anything else to set-up?
>
> can you send me a minimal file

The first update to the current release was a mixture of
TeXLive ConTeXt and the current release. After i have
setup the current release properly, the things are worse
then before.

I used a modification of the example from your announcement:

First, no line-numbering can be seen. But

\starttext

\setuptyping[file][numbering=file]

% the following starts at line 1 and outputs 3 lines
\typefile[start=2,nlines=3]{zapf}
% the next continues with line 4 and outputs 5 lines
\typefile[start=continue,nlines=5]{zapf}
% following works correctly ;)
\typefile{zapf}

\page

\setuptyping[file][numbering=line]

% again
\typefile{zapf}
% starts at line 1 and outputs the whole file
\typefile[start=4,step=3]{zapf}

\stoptext

Thus, it seems that the start= is ignored.
for example \typefile[start=2,stop=5]{zapf} prints lines
1 upto 4.
If i use
\typefile[start=1,stop=4]{zapf}
\typefile[start=continue,nlines=5]{zapf}
the second statement starts at line 1, that means it does not
continue.

Best,
  Jens

* Re: new version
@ 2002-07-29  9:33       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-29  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:09 AM 7/29/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>But still i have the problem that
>  \setuptyping[file][numbering=file]
>does not activate line numbering.
>
>Have i anything else to set-up?

can you send me a minimal file

> >  > Does this mean that we can see an updated documentation soon.
> >
> > mush of this specialized stuff will go inti the details manual
>
>I thought that details.pdf is more for beta-features. Since the
>\typefile extensions are made in the core, I would expect the
>documentation in cont-enp/i.pdf.

indeed typefile things will go into the main manual (basics), while details
is for the more obscure things

@ 2002-07-29  9:09     ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-07-29  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:15:58 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 09:34 PM 7/27/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 00:53:05 +0200
> >Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm uploading a new version (beta is copy; not that bad or instable since
> > > it's used in demanding situations -)
> >
> >You have send a cont-tfm.zip directly to me. The archive was deleted from
> >the mail because of its size by a e-mail filter. Was this archive equal
> >to the current release?
>
> you can take the current beta (just uploaded)

I did after i have seen your announcement.

@ 2002-07-29  7:15   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-29  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2002-07-27 19:34 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-07-27 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 00:53:05 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> I'm uploading a new version (beta is copy; not that bad or instable since
> it's used in demanding situations -)

You have send a cont-tfm.zip directly to me. The archive was deleted from
the mail because of its size by a e-mail filter. Was this archive equal
to the current release?

> This one offers:
>
> \starttext
>
> \setuptyping[file][numbering=file]
>
> \typefile[start=2,nlines=3]{zapf}
> \typefile[start=continue,nlines=13]{zapf}
> \typefile{zapf}

Absolutely nice. Many thanks.

> \page
>
> \setuptyping[file][numbering=line]

In both cases (numbering=file || line) is see no line
numbering. Is there anything else to do/setup.

> There are also some (experimental) fixes and improvements with regards to
> gridsnapping, a bunch of extensions with regards to layers (like
> location=grid,line=12), more figure options (to be documented soon), in
> line formula grid snapping (sigh, and small things discussed here already.

Does this mean that we can see an updated documentation soon.

Regards,
  Jens

* new version
@ 2002-07-26 22:53 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-26 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

@ 2000-09-21 16:33 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-21 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded a new version with my fingers crossed. So we start a new beta
series. Coming soon:

- alternative float flushing in existing multi columns routines
- multiple (multi column) output routine support, with footnotes per
column, extensive float support, backgrounds, reserved areas,   and a few
more fancy things
- good old tex + vertical chinese
- omega support

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: new version
@ 2000-01-24 15:47   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-01-24 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:44 PM 1/24/2000 +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:

>Does this also concern the non-beta version at:
>http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/cont-tmf.zip
>
>And does this beta-version also contain the  core-buf.tex file?

For the moment there is no beta or more precise, everything has become beta
-) This version also does sound.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: new version
@ 2000-01-24 15:45     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-01-24 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:24 PM 1/24/2000 +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>Hi,
>
>"Mr. Wang Lei" wrote:
>> Are you upload the new version to the download site or
>> just the beta site? I saw the download site still the
>> version on Jan,18. btw, Can you mark the version time
>> also in beta site?
>It is easy to recognize whether there is a newer version using wget -N
(though I
>would prefer the date on the page). Moreover the date given on
>http://www.pragma-ade.nl/download.htm is 11th of Januar -- have you miss-read
>the date (18 o'clock) or has Hans not updated that file?

The latter. Keep in mind that I'm on a pretty old slow machine with a just
as old windows 95. Some day things will go smoothly.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: new version
@ 2000-01-24 15:32   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-01-24 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:42 PM 1/24/2000 +0800, you wrote:

>Are you upload the new version to the download site or
>just the beta site? I saw the download site still the

The main site. I'll change the page.

>version on Jan,18. btw, Can you mark the version time
>also in beta site?

When I find a free moment .... -)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: new version
@ 2000-01-24 12:24   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-01-24 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, ntg-context

Hi,

"Mr. Wang Lei" wrote:
> Are you upload the new version to the download site or
> just the beta site? I saw the download site still the
> version on Jan,18. btw, Can you mark the version time
> also in beta site?
It is easy to recognize whether there is a newer version using wget -N (though I
would prefer the date on the page). Moreover the date given on
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/download.htm is 11th of Januar -- have you miss-read
the date (18 o'clock) or has Hans not updated that file?

Tobias

* Re: new version
@ 2000-01-24 11:44 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-01-24 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Hans,

> I uploaded a new version. Since I split up some large files, it is best do
> delete all old ones (except you local cont-sys.tex file). Let me know is
> some files are missing in the archive -)
Well at http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip there is no file (are
you presently uploading or what happend?)

Does this also concern the non-beta version at:
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/cont-tmf.zip

And does this beta-version also contain the  core-buf.tex file?

Groetjes,

Tobias

* Re: new version
@ 2000-01-24 11:42 ` Mr. Wang Lei
From: Mr. Wang Lei @ 2000-01-24 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I uploaded a new version. Since I split up some large files, it is best do
> delete all old ones (except you local cont-sys.tex file). Let me know is
> some files are missing in th earchive -)

Are you upload the new version to the download site or
just the beta site? I saw the download site still the
version on Jan,18. btw, Can you mark the version time
also in beta site?

Wang

Mr. Wang Lei                      Phone: 86-10-62616670
                                  Email: lwang@amath8.amt.ac.cn
Institute of Applied Mathematics         leiwang@btamail.net.cn
Chinese Academy of Science        Address: P.O.Box 2734, Beijing, 100080

* new version
@ 2000-01-24 11:13 Hans Hagen