On 5/24/2021 22:12, Alan Braslau wrote: > On Mon, 24 May 2021 17:53:49 -0400 > Rik Kabel wrote: > >> This is intended. Or rather, it is a side-effect of the intended >> behavior. >> >> If you add an editor ("editor={Baz, Bar}") you will get something >> like: >> >> Foo, B. (1983). Title of the paper. In B. Baz (Ed.), /Booktitle/. >> Author. >> >> And if you then add a publisher ("publisher={Paymefirst}") you will >> get: >> >> Foo, B. (1983). Title of the paper. In B. Bar (Ed.), Booktitle. >> Paymefirst. >> >> The APA presumes that you have both an editor and a publisher for >> pieces contained in other works. It calls for the use of the author >> as publisher if no publisher is present. It is silent about what to >> do if you have no editor. > It looks like a missing editor field should be caught. What should the > rule be? > > Actually, @inproceedings should not be used without an editor - makes > no sense. If the author of the paper happens to be the editor, then the > .bib data file should define this with an editor= field. > > We can change the behavior if a clear case can be made as to what > fallback would make sense. Keep in mind the dictum: "garbage in/garbage > out"... > > Alan For the case of works within works (inproceedings, inbook, incollection, perhaps conference) I would think that the simplest solution is to simply drop it, so that in the example above one would simply get: Foo, B. (1983). Title of the paper. In /Booktitle/. Paymefirst. Although I do think that, at least for inproceedings, lack of an editor should at least be flagged. A simple compilation of works may have no named editor, of I see no reason to require it for inbook or incollection. Cheap publishers regularly put out such collections of out-of-copyright works. The implicit assumption that a work with no documented publisher is a self-published work is not especially to my liking -- publishers may have good reason to not identify themselves (think of the publishers of the works of Spinoza and, in part, Voltaire) -- but I understand that the APA thinks it important. Of course, if you cannot document the publisher for an entry, you can explicitly list it as unknown or /sine nomine/, as appropriate, to avoid the infelicity of having the author's name just stuck in there. -- Rik