* Overfull \hbox query
@ 2007-01-14 13:49 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2007-01-14 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been processing a number of files using the same environment
file. Each time, early in the log file I get the very same message:
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/pdfr-ec.tex)
Overfull \hbox (13.2pt too wide) detected at line 63
[]
system          : module ancientgreek loaded
(/Users/acbowen/Library/texmf/tex/context/third/greek/t-ancientgreek.tex

The problem is that I can see no evidence in the document of an
overfull \hbox. Moreover, if I change the font from SIL-Gentium to
Latin Modern, the message goes away, though it returns once more if I
use GFSDidot say (only the line number differs).

Can anyone explain what is happening or suggest how I may proceed to
determine what is happening and why?

Alan

* Re: Overfull \hbox query
@ 2007-01-14 18:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-14 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen wrote:
> I have been processing a number of files using the same environment
> file. Each time, early in the log file I get the very same message:
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/pdfr-ec.tex)
> Overfull \hbox (13.2pt too wide) detected at line 63
> []
> system          : module ancientgreek loaded
> (/Users/acbowen/Library/texmf/tex/context/third/greek/t-ancientgreek.tex
>
> The problem is that I can see no evidence in the document of an
> overfull \hbox. Moreover, if I change the font from SIL-Gentium to
> Latin Modern, the message goes away, though it returns once more if I
> use GFSDidot say (only the line number differs).
>
> Can anyone explain what is happening or suggest how I may proceed to
> determine what is happening and why?

if you don't see a problem, just ignore it; it all depends on how overfull

\dontcomplain

may be your friend

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Overfull \hbox query
@ 2007-01-15 12:21   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2007-01-15 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 14, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Alan Bowen wrote:
>> I have been processing a number of files using the same environment
>> file. Each time, early in the log file I get the very same message:
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/pdfr-ec.tex)
>> Overfull \hbox (13.2pt too wide) detected at line 63
>> []
>> system          : module ancientgreek loaded
>> (/Users/acbowen/Library/texmf/tex/context/third/greek/t-
>> ancientgreek.tex
>>
>> The problem is that I can see no evidence in the document of an
>> overfull \hbox. Moreover, if I change the font from SIL-Gentium to
>> Latin Modern, the message goes away, though it returns once more if I
>> use GFSDidot say (only the line number differs).
>>
>> Can anyone explain what is happening or suggest how I may proceed to
>> determine what is happening and why?
>>
> if you don't see a problem, just ignore it; it all depends on how
> overfull
>
> \dontcomplain
>
> may be your friend
>
> Hans

Thanks, Hans. I will put this aside: as they say, “Sufficient unto
the day is the evil thereof”.

Best, Alan