* Simplefonts (new) fallback issue with Linux Libertine O
@ 2013-11-22  4:00 Rik
From: Rik @ 2013-11-22  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Fallbacks (at least the range I tested) do not work with the roman face
of Linux Libertine O in the new (core) simplefonts implementation. I
first thought that this might be a Libertine issue, but further testing
makes me suspect it may be a simplefonts issue. Or perhaps I have used
the wrong syntax with the new implementation.

Below are two MWEs, one based on the current standalone (current
version: 2013.11.16 12:43), running on Windows 8.1 with the win64 bins,
and the second based on an up-to-date TL13 (ConTeXt  ver: 2013.05.28
00:36 MKIV) on the same system. Linux Libertine O is version

When I run the standalone version, the fallback characters do not appear
between the first angles, but do appear between the bf and it angles.
They appear between angles in all cases with the TL13 MWE.

I do not see the problem with my home-grown typescript for Libertine
under either TL13 or the current standalone.

I do not see the problem with Junicode, Gentium Book Basic, or Gentium
Basic. I have not yet tried other fonts.

Standalone MWE:

   \definefallbackfamily [libertine] [serif] [Gentium Plus]
                                     [range={0x02052-0x02058},force=yes]
   \definefontfamily     [libertine] [serif] [Linux Libertine O]
   \setupbodyfont        [libertine]
   \def\SDQP{⁓⁗}%   Swung Dash Quad Prime U02053U02057

   \starttext
   >\SDQP<

   >{\bf \SDQP}<

   >{\it \SDQP}<

   >{\bf{\it \SDQP}}<
   \stoptext

TL13 MWE:

   \setupbodyfontenvironment [default][em=italic]
   \usemodule                [simplefonts]
   \setmainfontfallback      [Gentium Plus]
                             [range={0x02052-0x02058},force=yes]
   \setmainfont              [Linux Libertine O]
   \def\SDQP{⁓⁗}%   Swung Dash Quad Prime U02053U02057

   \starttext
   >\SDQP<

   >{\bf \SDQP}<

   >{\it \SDQP}<

   >{\bf{\it \SDQP}}<
   \stoptext

--
Rik Kabel

* Re: Simplefonts (new) fallback issue with Linux Libertine O
@ 2013-11-22 17:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-11-22 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.11.2013 um 05:00 schrieb Rik <amphiboly@gmail.com>:

> Fallbacks (at least the range I tested) do not work with the roman face of Linux Libertine O in the new (core) simplefonts implementation. I first thought that this might be a Libertine issue, but further testing makes me suspect it may be a simplefonts issue. Or perhaps I have used the wrong syntax with the new implementation.

I can reproduce it and it does also happen with a typescript only solution (depends on how you define the fallback font) but it seems to happen only with the Linux Libertine font.

Wolfgang

* Re: Simplefonts (new) fallback issue with Linux Libertine O
@ 2013-11-24 12:10   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-11-24 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.11.2013 um 18:08 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:

> Am 22.11.2013 um 05:00 schrieb Rik <amphiboly@gmail.com>:
>
>> Fallbacks (at least the range I tested) do not work with the roman face of Linux Libertine O in the new (core) simplefonts implementation. I first thought that this might be a Libertine issue, but further testing makes me suspect it may be a simplefonts issue. Or perhaps I have used the wrong syntax with the new implementation.
>
> I can reproduce it and it does also happen with a typescript only solution (depends on how you define the fallback font) but it seems to happen only with the Linux Libertine font.

Below is a minimal example which demonstrates the problem. The version where with \definefontsynonym is also
used by simplefonts and this is where the fallback font isn’t used for Libertine Regular, you can also see

	fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'GentiumPlus' is not found using lookup 'file'
	fonts           > defining > unknown font 'GentiumPlus', loading aborted

as message on the console. In the second case where I set the fallback font with \definefontfallback you get
the fallback font for Libertine Regular.

% one: load the fallback font from a synonym

\definefontsynonym [GentiumPlus] [file:gentiumplusr.ttf] [features=default]

\definefontfallback [libertine-fallback-1] [GentiumPlus] [0x02053]

\definefontsynonym [LibertineOneRegular] [file:linlibertiner.otf]  [features=default,fallbacks=libertine-fallback-1]
\definefontsynonym [LibertineOneItalic]  [file:linlibertineri.otf] [features=default,fallbacks=libertine-fallback-1]

% two: direct loading of the fallback font

\definefontfallback [libertine-fallback-2] [file:gentiumplusr.ttf*default] [0x02053]

\definefontsynonym [LibertineTwoRegular] [file:linlibertiner.otf]  [features=default,fallbacks=libertine-fallback-2]
\definefontsynonym [LibertineTwoItalic]  [file:linlibertineri.otf] [features=default,fallbacks=libertine-fallback-2]

\starttext
\starttabulate
\NC One Regular \EQ \definedfont[LibertineOneRegular] ⁓⁗ \NC\NR
\NC One Italic  \EQ \definedfont[LibertineOneItalic]  ⁓⁗ \NC\NR
\NC Two Regular \EQ \definedfont[LibertineTwoRegular] ⁓⁗ \NC\NR
\NC Two Italic  \EQ \definedfont[LibertineTwoItalic]  ⁓⁗ \NC\NR
\stoptabulate

\stoptext

Wolfgang