* beta
@ 2011-01-31 16:49 Hans Hagen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-31 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new beta.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2011-01-31 17:33 ` Otared Kavian
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-01-31 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I uploaded the new beta with the Minimals, but neither mkii nor mkiv work anymore…
I get
	MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
and
	luatools --generate
gives the same result.
Has something changed in first-setup.sh for Mac OS X and other machines (I followed the thread about that file being changed for Windows by Mojca, but I don't know about other operating systems).

I am reporting this just to let you know: I don't have any problem going back to ConTexT version 2011.01.25.

Best regards: OK

On 31 janv. 2011, at 17:49, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a new beta.
>
> Hans

* Re: beta
@ 2011-01-31 17:45   ` Thomas Schmitz
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Thomas Schmitz @ 2011-01-31 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:33:57 +0100
  Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> I uploaded the new beta with the Minimals, but neither
>mkii nor mkiv work anymore…
> I get
> 	MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or
>'mtx-context.lua'
> and
> 	luatools --generate
> gives the same result.

This has been deprecated for quite a while now; you have
to run

mtxrun --generate

> Has something changed in first-setup.sh for Mac OS X and
>other machines (I followed the thread about that file
>being changed for Windows by Mojca, but I don't know
>about other operating systems).

I see the same thing on linux: you have to run mtxrun
--generate and mktexlsr and texexec --make by hand now;
after that, mkiv and mkii will run.

I assume that's a result of our discussion last week, but
not quite what Hans and Mojca are aiming at...

Thomas

* Re: beta
@ 2011-01-31 17:56     ` Otared Kavian
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-01-31 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for your attention: indeed afer doing
	mtxrun --generate
and then
	context --make --all
I could use mkiv, and had to do
	mktexlsr
and the
	texexec --make --all
in order to use mkii.
I gues eventually these commands would be integrated somehow in first-setup.sh, but I didn't notice that that file was supposed to be updated also.

Best regards: OK

On 31 janv. 2011, at 18:45, Thomas Schmitz wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:33:57 +0100
> Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>> I uploaded the new beta with the Minimals, but neither mkii nor mkiv work anymore…
>> I get
>> 	MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>> and 	luatools --generate
>> gives the same result.
>
> This has been deprecated for quite a while now; you have to run
>
> mtxrun --generate
>
>> Has something changed in first-setup.sh for Mac OS X and other machines (I followed the thread about that file being changed for Windows by Mojca, but I don't know about other operating systems).
>
> I see the same thing on linux: you have to run mtxrun --generate and mktexlsr and texexec --make by hand now; after that, mkiv and mkii will run.
>
> I assume that's a result of our discussion last week, but not quite what Hans and Mojca are aiming at...
>
> Thomas

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Otared Kavian
Département de Mathématiques
Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin
Bâtiment Fermat
45 avenue des Etats Unis
78035 Versailles cedex

Téléphone: +33 1 39 25 46 42
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 44
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 46

e-mail: Otared.Kavian@math.uvsq.fr

* Re: beta
@ 2011-01-31 18:07 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-01-31 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again Hans,

Thanks to Thomas' attention I could make some testing with the latest mkiv beta (2011.01.31). It seems that roman numerals is broken in itemize, while it works fine in mkii.
Here is a minimal test:
%%% begin test.tex
\starttext
\startitemize[r]
\item Testing items and footnotes\footnote{This is a silly remark\dots}
\stopitemize
\stoptext
%%% end test.tex

and the error message I get:
! Undefined control sequence.
\romannumerals #1->\ctxcommands
                                {romannumerals(\number #1)}
l.7 }

\doconvertedstructurecounter ...!criterium ", } )}
                                                  \endgroup
<to be read again>
                   \fi
\doactualitemnumber ...rrentitemgroupcounter ]\fi
                                                  \dohandleitemreference \en...
\actualitemnumber ...fi \else \doactualitemnumber
                                                  \fi
l.5 \item T
           esting items and footnotes\footnote{This is a silly remark\dots}
?
Process aborted

Best regards: OK

On 31 janv. 2011, at 17:49, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a new beta.
>
> Hans

* Re: beta
@ 2011-01-31 18:11     ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-01-31 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Surprised this works somewhere. I uploaded the beta with the script I am using for sometime now:
#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p $TEXMINIMAL/tex
cd $TEXMINIMAL
ln -s $TEXPRIVATE tex/texmf-local
curl -o first-setup.sh http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh
sh ./first-setup.sh >first-setup.log
cd tex
echo "luatools --selfupdate"
luatools --selfupdate
echo "mtxrun -selfupdate"
mtxrun -selfupdate
echo "mtxrun -selfupdate"
echo "installation context minimals done"

But now I get an error in running my TeXShop after installing:
    MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
Confirmed that something is broken by regressing to my previous installation of ConTeXt  ver: 2011.01.26 11:02 MKIV  fmt: 2011.1.31  int: english/english
Changing the script to mtxrun --generate do not improve things here.

Thanks for changing things that way between one and the other. I am starting to get a bit choleric about all things that constantly seem broken with the next update. Sorry for the sour note but these are costing me hours to iron out, time I do not have at the moment.

Hans van der Meer

On 31 jan 2011, at 18:45, Thomas Schmitz wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:33:57 +0100
> Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>> I uploaded the new beta with the Minimals, but neither mkii nor mkiv work anymore…
>> I get
>> 	MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>> and 	luatools --generate
>> gives the same result.
>
> This has been deprecated for quite a while now; you have to run
>
> mtxrun --generate
>
>> Has something changed in first-setup.sh for Mac OS X and other machines (I followed the thread about that file being changed for Windows by Mojca, but I don't know about other operating systems).
>
> I see the same thing on linux: you have to run mtxrun --generate and mktexlsr and texexec --make by hand now; after that, mkiv and mkii will run.
>
> I assume that's a result of our discussion last week, but not quite what Hans and Mojca are aiming at...
>
> Thomas

* Re: beta
@ 2011-01-31 19:01       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-01-31 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

See also: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/76158 ;-)

--
           Peter

* Re: beta
@ 2011-01-31 19:04     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-31 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-1-2011 6:45, Thomas Schmitz wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:33:57 +0100
> Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> I uploaded the new beta with the Minimals, but neither mkii nor mkiv
>> work anymore…
>> I get
>> MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>> and luatools --generate
>> gives the same result.
>
> This has been deprecated for quite a while now; you have to run
>
> mtxrun --generate
>
>> Has something changed in first-setup.sh for Mac OS X and other
>> machines (I followed the thread about that file being changed for
>> Windows by Mojca, but I don't know about other operating systems).
>
> I see the same thing on linux: you have to run mtxrun --generate and
> mktexlsr and texexec --make by hand now; after that, mkiv and mkii will
> run.
>
> I assume that's a result of our discussion last week, but not quite what
> Hans and Mojca are aiming at...

hm, i tested it on a linux machine and it also works at taco's end

however, I see an error in mtxrun under the upgrade bin path so I'll
have a look at that (it's hard to test minimals without remote)

anyhow, making the databases and formats by hand works ok; the biggest
change is not yet visible anyway (for myself i want a relocatable tree
so i'm playing with that, normally that's not something users will deal
with)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2011-01-31 21:28       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-31 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-1-2011 7:11, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Thanks for changing things that way between one and the other. I am starting to get a bit choleric about all things that constantly seem broken with the next update. Sorry for the sour note but these are costing me hours to iron out, time I do not have at the moment.

well, no one forces you to update betas

also, as long as we're in transition to mkiv you can expect an
occasional hickup, after all, i have only a few machines to test

maybe it gives you comfort to know that I spend more hours to iron out
problems -)

Hans

ps. recently i spent a week ironing out nfs4 problems just to find out
(by googling) that i'd best revert al machines back to nfs3 and i can
give more examples; believe it or not, it makes me feel less guilty

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2011-01-31 21:36   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-31 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-1-2011 7:07, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi again Hans,
>
> Thanks to Thomas' attention I could make some testing with the latest mkiv beta (2011.01.31). It seems that roman numerals is broken in itemize, while it works fine in mkii.
> Here is a minimal test:
> %%% begin test.tex
> \starttext
> \startitemize[r]
> \item Testing items and footnotes\footnote{This is a silly remark\dots}
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext
> %%% end test.tex
>
> and the error message I get:
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \romannumerals #1->\ctxcommands
>                                  {romannumerals(\number #1)}

ah, you got me ... should be singular

fyi: this macro is a shortcut for calling a function in the lua commands
namespace; eventually all calls at the tex end will call functions in
the commands namespace but it's a stepwise process to get this done (all
conversions were adapted so maybe more problems surface, but they're
just name issues)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: error updating beta  WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01  0:40 ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-01  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I get the following error while updating minimals:

MTXrun | run: texexec --make --all --fast --xetex cont-nl cont-enTeXExec | using search method 'kpsewhich'
TeXExec | using existing database
TeXExec | using tex engine xetex
TeXExec | using tex format path /nonesuch/texmf/web2c/xetex
TeXExec | generating tex format cont-nl.mkii
This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (Web2C 7.5.6) (INITEX)
entering extended mode
! I can't find file `cont-nl.mkii'.
<*> *cont-nl.mkii

(Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
Please type another input file name:

Linux x86_64

Regards
Marco

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01  5:53         ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2011-02-01  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 22:28, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 31-1-2011 7:11, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>
>> Thanks for changing things that way between one and the other. I am
>> starting to get a bit choleric about all things that constantly seem broken
>> with the next update. Sorry for the sour note but these are costing me hours
>> to iron out, time I do not have at the moment.
>
> well, no one forces you to update betas
>
> also, as long as we're in transition to mkiv you can expect an occasional
> hickup, after all, i have only a few machines to test

It's better to have someone could give you a hand.
In the long term, something like "Release Team" would be a must for
ConTeXt development. With this team, we can do some "Unit testing" for
each release in order to minimize problem.

* Re: error updating beta  WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01  8:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-01  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-2-2011 1:40, Marco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get the following error while updating minimals:
>
> MTXrun | run: texexec --make --all --fast --xetex cont-nl cont-enTeXExec | using search method 'kpsewhich'
> TeXExec | using existing database
> TeXExec | using tex engine xetex
> TeXExec | using tex format path /nonesuch/texmf/web2c/xetex
> TeXExec | generating tex format cont-nl.mkii
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (Web2C 7.5.6) (INITEX)
> entering extended mode
> ! I can't find file `cont-nl.mkii'.
> <*>  *cont-nl.mkii
>
> (Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
> Please type another input file name:

can you run mktexlsr manually?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01  8:43           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-01  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-2-2011 6:53, Vnpenguin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 22:28, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:
>> On 31-1-2011 7:11, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for changing things that way between one and the other. I am
>>> starting to get a bit choleric about all things that constantly seem broken
>>> with the next update. Sorry for the sour note but these are costing me hours
>>> to iron out, time I do not have at the moment.
>>
>> well, no one forces you to update betas
>>
>> also, as long as we're in transition to mkiv you can expect an occasional
>> hickup, after all, i have only a few machines to test
>
> It's better to have someone could give you a hand.
> In the long term, something like "Release Team" would be a must for
> ConTeXt development. With this team, we can do some "Unit testing" for
> each release in order to minimize problem.

to some extend this is what the beta is for ... because mkiv is a moving
target it sort of replaces the current, but if i can imagine that users
wait a few days with updating till there are no problems reported

concerning testing ... there is a slowly growing test suite, and i guess
that at some point Luigi will run it alongside his module documentation
runs .. you can offer him help with that (sanjoy also has made some test
setup)

in this particular case (adaption of mtxrun) testing is somewhat
problematic as we need a test-minimal alongside the regular one and that
might happen when mojca has set up the new machine

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01  8:45             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 1-2-2011 6:53, Vnpenguin wrote:

>>> well, no one forces you to update betas
>>>
>>> also, as long as we're in transition to mkiv you can expect an occasional
>>> hickup, after all, i have only a few machines to test
>>
>> It's better to have someone could give you a hand.
>> In the long term, something like "Release Team" would be a must for
>> ConTeXt development. With this team, we can do some "Unit testing" for
>> each release in order to minimize problem.
>
> to some extend this is what the beta is for ... because mkiv is a moving
> target it sort of replaces the current, but if i can imagine that users wait
> a few days with updating till there are no problems reported
>
> concerning testing ... there is a slowly growing test suite, and i guess
> that at some point Luigi will run it alongside his module documentation runs
> .. you can offer him help with that (sanjoy also has made some test setup)
...mea culpa....
I'm busy with bachotex material --- and a wrong Ubuntu LTS upgrade...
--
luigi

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01 10:36     ` Vedran Miletić
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2011-02-01 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/2/1 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>

> On 1-2-2011 1:40, Marco wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I get the following error while updating minimals:
>>
>> MTXrun | run: texexec --make --all --fast --xetex cont-nl cont-enTeXExec |
>> using search method 'kpsewhich'
>> TeXExec | using existing database
>> TeXExec | using tex engine xetex
>> TeXExec | using tex format path /nonesuch/texmf/web2c/xetex
>> TeXExec | generating tex format cont-nl.mkii
>> This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (Web2C 7.5.6) (INITEX)
>> entering extended mode
>> ! I can't find file `cont-nl.mkii'.
>> <*>  *cont-nl.mkii
>>
>> (Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
>> Please type another input file name:
>>

> can you run mktexlsr manually?
>
> Hans

Same here.

Running mktexlsr manually works, but it doesn't help next ./first-setup run.

Regards,

Vedran Miletić

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 10:40             ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2011-02-01 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

My update proceedure systematically maintains a previous,
presumably working, copy of the minimals. For this, I run
a script:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/context
cd beta
echo "*** move current to previous ***"
rsync -av --delete --progress . ../previous
echo "*** update beta ***"
rsync -ptv --progress rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
./first-setup.sh --extras=all | tee first-setup.log

This way I limit problems while still working with the latest, greatest
beta version of ConTeXt. When things go wrong with the update,
I simply move "beta" to "new" (or something else) and "previous" to "beta",
my PATH being set to use "beta".

Perhaps others can suggest a better working proceedure.

Of course, when pressed for time, I postpone updating to Hans' latest
so as not to be distracted from the work at hand.

Alan

@ 2011-02-01 11:35       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-01 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-2-2011 11:36, Vedran Miletić wrote:

> Same here.
>
> Running mktexlsr manually works, but it doesn't help next ./first-setup run..

i'll have a look at it (i only tested a luatex only tree sofar)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-01 12:42     ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2011-02-01 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/31/11 6:45 PM, Thomas Schmitz wrote:
>> and     luatools --generate
>> gives the same result.
>

> This has been deprecated for quite a while now; you have to run
>
> mtxrun --generate
Does that mean that the instructions
(http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals#Remaking_formats) have
to be updated? There, both "mtxrun --generate" and "luatools --generate"
are listed for making the mkiv format.

In any case, I haven't been able to install (update) the minimals in the
last 3 months (on both OS X and ubuntu). MkII works, but context
--version gives
"MTXrun | main context file: unknown, 'context.mkiv' not found"

And the log of running a test file contains:
-------------
MTXrun | warning: no format found, forcing remake (commandline driven)
MTXrun | resolvers: using given filetype 'tex'
MTXrun | resolvers: resolver: method=concatinators, how=tag, tag=file
MTXrun | resolvers: resolver: method=concatinators, how=tag, tag=file
MTXrun | resolvers: using given filetype 'tex'
MTXrun | no tex source file with name: cont-en (mkiv or tex)
MTXrun | error, no format found with name: cont-en, aborting
MTXrun | total runtime: 0.347
-----------------

 From the installation log:
------------------
MTXrun | forcing cache reload
MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file
'/Users/bonasia/texmf-local/texmfcnf.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file
'/Users/bonasia/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file
'/Users/bonasia/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file
'/Users/bonasia/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/bonasia/texmfcnf.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
MTXrun | state: loaded
MTXrun | update: start

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 12:47       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
> On 1/31/11 6:45 PM, Thomas Schmitz wrote:
>>>
>>> and     luatools --generate
>>> gives the same result.
>>

>> This has been deprecated for quite a while now; you have to run
>>
>> mtxrun --generate
>
> Does that mean that the instructions
> (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals#Remaking_formats) have to be
> updated? There, both "mtxrun --generate" and "luatools --generate" are
> listed for making the mkiv format.
>
> In any case, I haven't been able to install (update) the minimals in the
> last 3 months (on both OS X and ubuntu).
hm so much time for me.
At least on January update  was almost retgular for me (mkiv)

> "MTXrun | main context file: unknown, 'context.mkiv' not found"
it can be a problem of cache corrupted; try to erase it and rebuild
with mtxrun --generate

--
luigi

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01 12:51         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 1-2-2011 11:36, Vedran Miletić wrote:
>
>> Same here.
>>
>> Running mktexlsr manually works, but it doesn't help next ./first-setup
>> run..
>
> i'll have a look at it (i only tested a luatex only tree sofar)
seem related only to pdftex and xetex.
luatex seems ok.
--
luigi

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01 13:02           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i'll have a look at it (i only tested a luatex only tree sofar)
> seem related only to pdftex and xetex.
> luatex seems ok.
> --
> luigi

after
$>mktexlsr

$>texexec --make
builds all the pdftex formats

$>texexec --make --engine=xetex
builds all the xetex formats

--
luigi

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 13:22         ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2011-02-01 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/1/11 1:47 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

>>> This has been deprecated for quite a while now; you have to run
>>>
>>> mtxrun --generate
>> Does that mean that the instructions
>> (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals#Remaking_formats) have to be
>> updated? There, both "mtxrun --generate" and "luatools --generate" are
>> listed for making the mkiv format.
>>
>> In any case, I haven't been able to install (update) the minimals in the
>> last 3 months (on both OS X and ubuntu).
> hm so much time for me.
> At least on January update  was almost retgular for me (mkiv)
>
>> "MTXrun | main context file: unknown, 'context.mkiv' not found"
> it can be a problem of cache corrupted; try to erase it and rebuild
> with mtxrun --generate
Didn't help (provided I deleted the right thing).
Thanks and regards, Jörg

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 13:26           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
> Didn't help (provided I deleted the right thing).
Did you
$>. setuptex
?

--
luigi

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 13:36             ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2011-02-01 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/1/11 2:26 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Jörg Hagmann<joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch>  wrote:
>> Didn't help (provided I deleted the right thing).
> Did you
> $>. setuptex
Sure. mkII is working.

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 13:42               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
>> Did you
>> $>. setuptex
>
> Sure. mkII is working.
and
$> kpsewhich context.mkiv
?
--
luigi

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 13:46                 ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2011-02-01 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/1/11 2:42 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Jörg Hagmann<joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch>  wrote:
>>> Did you
>>> $>. setuptex
>> Sure. mkII is working.
> and
> $>  kpsewhich context.mkiv
> ?
/Users/bonasia/.context-new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 13:54                   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:

> On 2/1/11 2:42 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

>>> Sure. mkII is working.
>>
>> and
>> $>  kpsewhich context.mkiv
>> ?
>
> /Users/bonasia/.context-new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
^^^^^^^^^^^
this dot looks suspect... can you try without it, ie
 /Users/bonasia/context-new...
and then
$>. setuptex
$>mtxrun --generate
?

luigi

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 14:38                     ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2011-02-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/1/11 2:54 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Jörg Hagmann<joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch>  wrote:
>>
>> On 2/1/11 2:42 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
>>> and
>>> $>    kpsewhich context.mkiv
>>> ?
>> /Users/bonasia/.context-new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> this dot looks suspect... can you try without it, ie
>   /Users/bonasia/context-new...
> and then
> $>. setuptex
> $>mtxrun --generate
> ?
Ok - Thank you! I keep (kept) my contexts in hidden dirs (my current one
from 3 months ago is in ".context" and it works, but I don't remember
whether I changed the directory to "hidden" after I installed the
minimals or whether I installed them into ".context").

Conclusion: Installing the actual minimals in a hidden file doesn't
work, in a "visible" one it does.

Thanks a lot for the help, Jörg

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 14:46                       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
> Conclusion: Installing the actual minimals in a hidden file doesn't work, in
> a "visible" one it does.

Not sure if it's a bug or feature.
If I understand correctly, mkii works ok in "hidden" folders, but mkiv no.
I suspect then a bug in names resolver which  in this situation it's ok .
(perhaps  you can try  with
/Users/bonasia/a.context-new
)
--
luigi

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 15:00                         ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2011-02-01 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/1/11 3:46 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Jörg Hagmann<joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch>  wrote:
>> Conclusion: Installing the actual minimals in a hidden file doesn't work, in
>> a "visible" one it does.
>>
> Not sure if it's a bug or feature.
> If I understand correctly, mkii works ok in "hidden" folders, but mkiv no.
> I suspect then a bug in names resolver which  in this situation it's ok .
> (perhaps  you can try  with
> /Users/bonasia/a.context-new
> )
Doesn't work either. Well - my context directory doesn't have to be
hidden - why hide a pretty thing?

Regards, Jörg

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 15:13                           ` Vedran Miletić
                                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2011-02-01 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/2/1 Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch>

> On 2/1/11 3:46 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Jörg Hagmann<joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> Conclusion: Installing the actual minimals in a hidden file doesn't work,
>>> in
>>> a "visible" one it does.
>>>
>>>  Not sure if it's a bug or feature.
>> If I understand correctly, mkii works ok in "hidden" folders, but mkiv no.
>> I suspect then a bug in names resolver which  in this situation it's ok .
>> (perhaps  you can try  with
>> /Users/bonasia/a.context-new
>> )
>>
> Doesn't work either. Well - my context directory doesn't have to be hidden
> - why hide a pretty thing?
>
> Regards, Jörg

Yes, there is a bug when using dots, someone recently triggered it when
using versioned names (context-2011.01.18 or something). Not sure if it can
be fixed.

Regards,

Vedran Miletić

* Re: error updating beta  WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01 15:34     ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-01 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-02-01 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 1-2-2011 1:40, Marco wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I get the following error while updating minimals:
> >
> > MTXrun | run: texexec --make --all --fast --xetex cont-nl cont-enTeXExec
> > | using search method 'kpsewhich' TeXExec | using existing database
> > TeXExec | using tex engine xetex
> > TeXExec | using tex format path /nonesuch/texmf/web2c/xetex
> > TeXExec | generating tex format cont-nl.mkii
> > This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (Web2C 7.5.6) (INITEX)
> > entering extended mode
> > ! I can't find file `cont-nl.mkii'.
> > <*>  *cont-nl.mkii
> >
> > (Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
> > Please type another input file name:
>
> can you run mktexlsr manually?

Yes. This fixes mkii. But as Vedran and Luigi already pointed out
first-setup.sh is broken. mkiv works ok.

BTW: Is it possible to only build mkiv and the english interface? Maybe by
passing some options to first-setup.sh? I never need other interfaces and
hardly ever mkii.

Marco

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 15:35                             ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2011-02-01 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tuesday 01 February 2011 16:13:25 Vedran Miletić wrote:

> Yes, there is a bug when using dots, someone recently triggered it when
> using versioned names (context-2011.01.18 or something). Not sure if it can
> be fixed.

A good guide should be the use of POSIX "Fully portable filenames"

Lewine, Donald, POSIX Programmer's Guide: Writing Portable UNIX Programs,
1991, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Sebastopol, CA, pp. 63-64.

Of course, some perfectly acceptable filenames
(even for a NTFS filesystem, according to MicroSoft's own standard)
wreak havoc for Windows and some Windows applications, as well as for MacOS.

See, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename

Microsoft Windows: Windows kernel forbids the use of characters in range 1-31
(i.e., 0x01-0x1F) and characters " * : < > ? \ / |. Although NTFS allows each
path component (directory or filename) to be 255 characters long and paths up
to about 32767 characters long, the Windows kernel only supports paths up to
259 characters long if no UNC is used for addressing. Additionally, Windows
forbids the use of the MS-DOS device names AUX, CLOCK$, COM1, COM2, COM3,
COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, CON, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6,
LPT7, LPT8, LPT9, NUL and PRN, as well as these names with any extension (for
example, AUX.txt), except when using Long UNC paths (ex. \\.\C:\nul.txt or \\?
\D:\aux\con). (In fact, CLOCK$ may be used if an extension is provided.) These
restrictions only apply to Windows - Linux, for example, allows use of " * : <
> ? \ | even in NTFS.

Alan

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01 15:41       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Marco <netuse@lavabit.com> wrote:
> BTW: Is it possible to only build mkiv and the english interface? Maybe by
> passing some options to first-setup.sh? I never need other interfaces and
> hardly ever mkii.
>
> Marco
In first-septup.sh , near the bottom
mtxrun --verbose --script ./bin/mtx-update.lua --update --make --force
--engine=all --context=beta --platform=$platform --texroot=$PWD/tex $@

I believe that --engine=luatex is the switch you want

--
luigi

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 15:42                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-01 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-2-2011 3:38, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> Conclusion: Installing the actual minimals in a hidden file doesn't
> work, in a "visible" one it does.

concerning the mkii problem .. i know where it originates and am playing
a bit with it ... so beta syncing can be a bit erratic for a while (i
need to make sure that mkiv can use symbolic roots while mkii gets real
ones)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-01 15:47         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-01 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-2-2011 4:41, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Marco<netuse@lavabit.com>  wrote:
>> BTW: Is it possible to only build mkiv and the english interface? Maybe by
>> passing some options to first-setup.sh? I never need other interfaces and
>> hardly ever mkii.
>>
>> Marco
> In first-septup.sh , near the bottom
> mtxrun --verbose --script ./bin/mtx-update.lua --update --make --force
> --engine=all --context=beta --platform=$platform --texroot=$PWD/tex $@
>
> I believe that --engine=luatex is the switch you want

indeed, but one needs a fresh minimal because the current state is
stored and kept

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 16:04                             ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-01 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-02-01 Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If I understand correctly, mkii works ok in "hidden" folders, but mkiv
> >> no. I suspect then a bug in names resolver which  in this situation it's
> >> ok . (perhaps  you can try  with
> >> /Users/bonasia/a.context-new
> >> )
> >>
> > Doesn't work either. Well - my context directory doesn't have to be hidden
> > - why hide a pretty thing?
> >
> > Regards, Jörg
>

> Yes, there is a bug when using dots, someone recently triggered it when
> using versioned names (context-2011.01.18 or something). Not sure if it can
> be fixed.

I also ran across a bug considering the case of external graphics. The case is
not taken into account. And luatex hangs, if a graphic is not found. Example:

\starttext
\externalfigure [CoW]     % A file CoW does not exist, only cow.pdf
                          % and cow.pdf is included, should output gray box

\externalfigure [GrApHiC] % Does not exist and causes mkiv to hang
                          % Should output gray box
\stoptext

Regards
Marco

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01 16:07           ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-01 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-02-01 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> > In first-septup.sh , near the bottom
> > mtxrun --verbose --script ./bin/mtx-update.lua --update --make --force
> > --engine=all --context=beta --platform=$platform --texroot=$PWD/tex $@
> >
> > I believe that --engine=luatex is the switch you want
>
> indeed, but one needs a fresh minimal because the current state is
> stored and kept

Thanks

Marco

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 16:10                               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-01 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Marco <netuse@lavabit.com> wrote:

>> > Doesn't work either. Well - my context directory doesn't have to be hidden
>> > - why hide a pretty thing?
>> >
>> > Regards, Jörg
>>

>> Yes, there is a bug when using dots, someone recently triggered it when
>> using versioned names (context-2011.01.18 or something). Not sure if it can
>> be fixed.
>
> I also ran across a bug considering the case of external graphics. The case is
> not taken into account. And luatex hangs, if a graphic is not found. Example:
>
> \starttext
> \externalfigure [CoW]     % A file CoW does not exist, only cow.pdf
>                          % and cow.pdf is included, should output gray box
>
> \externalfigure [GrApHiC] % Does not exist and causes mkiv to hang
>                          % Should output gray box
> \stoptext
>

> Regards
> Marco
confirmed
--
luigi

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 16:16                             ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-02-01 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, there is a bug when using dots,

Or a feature...?! ;)

See also:
- http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/052339.html
  ("and such" can mean a dot)
- http://pmrb.free.fr/contextref.pdf section 1.7
  ;-)

--
           Peter

* Re: beta
@ 2011-02-01 16:51                               ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-02-01 pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) wrote:

> Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Yes, there is a bug when using dots,
>
> Or a feature...?! ;)
>
> See also:
> - http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/052339.html
>   ("and such" can mean a dot)
> - http://pmrb.free.fr/contextref.pdf section 1.7
>   ;-)

I don't want to start an argue, sice this bug/feature doesn't affect my work.
But just my 2 cents:

1) The operating system / file system basically decides which names are
   permitted. And in times of luatex and unicode it's a pity that file names
   with international characters aren't supported. All other programs can cope
   with that.

2) I often use automatically generated graphics like
   graph.1.pdf
   graph.2.pdf
   graph.3.pdf ...
   According to the documentation and Hans these file names aren't permitted,
   since dots and numbers aren't allowed. However when I include the complete
   names with extention it works.

Regards
Marco

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01 20:54           ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2011-02-01 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.02.2011 um 16:47 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 1-2-2011 4:41, luigi scarso wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Marco<netuse@lavabit.com>  wrote:
>>> BTW: Is it possible to only build mkiv and the english interface? Maybe by
>>> passing some options to first-setup.sh? I never need other interfaces and
>>> hardly ever mkii.
>>>
>>> Marco
>> In first-septup.sh , near the bottom
>> mtxrun --verbose --script ./bin/mtx-update.lua --update --make --force
>> --engine=all --context=beta --platform=$platform --texroot=$PWD/tex $@
>>
>> I believe that --engine=luatex is the switch you want
>
> indeed, but one needs a fresh minimal because the current state is stored and kept

But one need the other formats to use TeX Gyre fonts with math?

If I try the –engine=luatex switch this
\setupbodyfont[palatino]
\starttext
$a+b$
\stoptext
returns:
!LuaTeX error: cannot open Type 1 font file for reading (qplri.pfb)

Greeting
	Andreas

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-01 21:30             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-01 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-2-2011 9:54, Andreas Harder wrote:

> But one need the other formats to use TeX Gyre fonts with math?

no, but it can be that some font is missing, in which case you should
identify it and ask Mojca to add it to the luatex subset

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-02  4:11 ` views63
From: views63 @ 2011-02-02  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

my new ConTeXt misses cldf-int.mkiv

<+ /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mult-aux.lua>)
! I can't find file `cldf-int.mkiv'.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
l.108 \loadmarkfile{cldf-int}
                              % interface
Please type another input file name:

--
Best regards,

Huang Ze

@ 2011-02-02 10:18               ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-02-02 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just uploaded latest beta and on "context --make en" got the error:

! I can't find file `catc-ini.mkiv'.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
l.76 \loadmarkfile{catc-ini}

Are there still missing files?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 10:25                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-02 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Hans van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:
> Just uploaded latest beta and on "context --make en" got the error:
>
> ! I can't find file `catc-ini.mkiv'.
> <to be read again>
>                   \relax
> l.76 \loadmarkfile{catc-ini}
>
> Are there still missing files?
>
> Hans van der Meer
not here from  minimals

--
luigi

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 10:34                   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2011-02-02 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Confirmed - I got the same error yesterday evening on my linux system
(after a successful installation in the afternoon on OS X).
Jörg

@ 2011-02-02 10:43                     ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-02-02 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could it be because it is named catc-ini.lua instead of catc-ini.mkiv? Or has it to be loaded as an explicit lua-file?

Hans van der Meer

@ 2011-02-02 10:45                       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Hans van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:
> Could it be because it is named catc-ini.lua instead of catc-ini.mkiv? Or has it to be loaded as an explicit lua-file?
no. What about

$> mktexlsr
$> kpsewhich catc-ini.mkiv
?

--
luigi

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 10:57                         ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-02-02 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Strange, doing (running MacOSX 10.6.6, beta is the directory in which context is installed):

102 beta: mktexlsr
mktexlsr: Updating /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.
103 beta: kpsewhich catc-ini.mkiv
/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/catc-ini.mkiv
104 beta:

File is there. Checked again that "context --make en" runs into the same error.

Hans van der Meer

@ 2011-02-02 11:05                           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-02 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Hans van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:
> Strange, doing (running MacOSX 10.6.6, beta is the directory in which context is installed):
>
> 102 beta: mktexlsr
> mktexlsr: Updating /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Done.
> 103 beta: kpsewhich catc-ini.mkiv
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/catc-ini.mkiv
> 104 beta:
>
> File is there. Checked again that "context --make en" runs into the same error.
delete the cache and
$> mtxrun --generate
--
luigi

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 11:24                             ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-02-02 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did remove texmf-cache and ran mtxrun --generate. Still get on context --make en the error:
! I can't find file `catc-ini.mkiv'.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
l.76 \loadmarkfile{catc-ini}

Please type another input file name:

(will be away 1 or 2 hours, sorry not able to answer immediately)
Hans van der Meer

@ 2011-02-02 12:07                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-02 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-2-2011 11:18, Hans van der Meer wrote:
> Just uploaded latest beta and on "context --make en" got the error:
>
> ! I can't find file `catc-ini.mkiv'.
> <to be read again>
>                     \relax
> l.76 \loadmarkfile{catc-ini}
>
> Are there still missing files?

no, i'm still trying to get mkii and mkiv working at the same time with
a fundamental different setup strategy .. getting there

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-02 12:41                   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-02-02 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> no, i'm still trying to get mkii and mkiv working at the same time with a
> fundamental different setup strategy .. getting there

Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time
mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv

--
           Peter

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 13:58                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-02 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-2-2011 1:41, Peter Münster wrote:
> Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  writes:
>
>> no, i'm still trying to get mkii and mkiv working at the same time with a
>> fundamental different setup strategy .. getting there
>
> Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
> mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time
> mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv

this can already be done (just install with the --engine=luatex flag)

the main issue is that mtxrun also replaces the ruby texmfstart script
and texexec is launched via mtxrun; so mtxrun needs to be able to deal
with mkii situations where kpse is used for lookups later on; as the
installer uses the --tree option, and as mkiv has an abstract notion of
the texroot, some hoops have to be jumped through to get it working for
both machineries

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-02 14:01                       ` Vedran Miletić
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2011-02-02 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/2/2 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>

> On 2-2-2011 1:41, Peter Münster wrote:
>
>> Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  writes:
>>
>>  no, i'm still trying to get mkii and mkiv working at the same time with a
>>> fundamental different setup strategy .. getting there
>>>

>> Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
>> mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time
>> mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv
>>

> this can already be done (just install with the --engine=luatex flag)
>
> the main issue is that mtxrun also replaces the ruby texmfstart script and
> texexec is launched via mtxrun; so mtxrun needs to be able to deal with mkii
> situations where kpse is used for lookups later on; as the installer uses
> the --tree option, and as mkiv has an abstract notion of the texroot, some
> hoops have to be jumped through to get it working for both machineries

You mentioned earlier that texexec could be replaced by mtxrun completely,
that only a bit is missing. Would this solve the problem?

Regards,

Vedran Miletić

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 14:21                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-02 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-2-2011 3:01, Vedran Miletić wrote:
> 2011/2/2 Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>
>
>> On 2-2-2011 1:41, Peter Münster wrote:
>>
>>> Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>   writes:
>>>
>>>   no, i'm still trying to get mkii and mkiv working at the same time with a
>>>>

>>> Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
>>> mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time
>>> mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv
>>>

>> this can already be done (just install with the --engine=luatex flag)
>>
>> the main issue is that mtxrun also replaces the ruby texmfstart script and
>> texexec is launched via mtxrun; so mtxrun needs to be able to deal with mkii
>> situations where kpse is used for lookups later on; as the installer uses
>> the --tree option, and as mkiv has an abstract notion of the texroot, some
>> hoops have to be jumped through to get it working for both machineries
>

> You mentioned earlier that texexec could be replaced by mtxrun completely,
> that only a bit is missing. Would this solve the problem?

it would solve the ruby dependency but pdftex/xetex need kpse

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-02 14:50                       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2011-02-02 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen, Peter Münster

On Wednesday 02 February 2011 14:58:25 Hans Hagen wrote:
> some hoops have to be jumped through to get it working for
> both machineries

¡Olé!

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 17:21                               ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-02-02 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

More weird things I am afraid. Experimenting somewhat, I removed the texmf-cahce and did mtxrun --generate.
The first messages is: "/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta"
and its permissions are: "drwxrwxr-x  7 hans staff 238 2 feb 17:48 beta/"
idem of the parent directory: "drwxr-xr-x  13 hans staff 442 2 feb 10:36 ../"

120 beta: mtxrun --generate
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory

Something wrong here? Something I can/should repair?

Hans van der Meer

@ 2011-02-02 17:58                     ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2011-02-02 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 13:41, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:

>> no, i'm still trying to get mkii and mkiv working at the same time with a
>> fundamental different setup strategy .. getting there
>
> Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
> mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time

> mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv

Yes, I like this idea. I don't care about mkii, nor pdftex.

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 19:07                                 ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-02-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

More experiments, I am not one to be so easily defeated by software.
Retrieved some old beta's, each time I start a context run then it results in the loadfilemarkerror.
But I can find several formats lying around:
/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/c180539b697aa06758debbc1182817e4/formats/cont-en.fmt
/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/c180539b697aa06758debbc1182817e4/formats/cont-nl.fmt
/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/pdftex/cont-en.fmt
/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/pdftex/cont-nl.fmt
/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/xetex/cont-en.fmt
/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/xetex/cont-nl.fmt
Apparently none of them found! Vide this first message:
MTXrun | warning: no format found, forcing remake (commandline driven)

Here for inspection my .bashrc settings relevant to TeX. Could there be something amiss with these?
# TeX
export TEXLIVE=/usr/local/texlive/2010
export TEXPRIVATE=$HOME/TeX/My-TeXLib
export TEXMINIMAL=$HOME/TeX/ConTeXt/beta
export TEXPATH=$TEXMINIMAL/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin
export TEXMFDBS=$TEXMINIMAL
#$TEXMINIMAL/tex/setuptex
export TEXMF=$TEXMINIMAL
Note: inserting the hashed out line doesn't make a difference.

I append here the full terminal output below, just in case.

[-- Attachment #2: log.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 2025 bytes --]

Hans van der Meer

@ 2011-02-02 19:08                       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-02-02 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vnpenguin <vnpenguin@vnoss.org> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 13:41, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> no, i'm still trying to get mkii and mkiv working at the same time with a
>>> fundamental different setup strategy .. getting there
>>
>> Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
>> mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time
>> mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv
>
> Yes, I like this idea. I don't care about mkii, nor pdftex.

In the first place, this idea was meant to make Hans' life easier.
(not the user's life... ;-)

--
           Peter

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 19:27                         ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-02-02 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 feb 2011, at 20:08, Peter Münster wrote:

> Vnpenguin <vnpenguin@vnoss.org> writes:

>>> Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
>>> mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time
>>> mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv
>>
>> Yes, I like this idea. I don't care about mkii, nor pdftex.
>
> In the first place, this idea was meant to make Hans' life easier.
> (not the user's life... ;-)

I strongly support the idea of freezing mkii, apart from repairing obvious bugs in the existing codebase. It will free precious resources and save valuable time. Moreover imho concentrating on mkiv not hampered by compatability issues because of mkii, can only add to its stability.
(It is just like evolution or maybe call it progress. Imagine both our primate ancestors and the dinosaurs being maintained at the same time? Where would we be? ;-)

Hans van der Meer

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 20:09                                   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-02 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Hans van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:
> More experiments, I am not one to be so easily defeated by software.
> Retrieved some old beta's, each time I start a context run then it results in the loadfilemarkerror.
> But I can find several formats lying around:
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/c180539b697aa06758debbc1182817e4/formats/cont-en.fmt
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/c180539b697aa06758debbc1182817e4/formats/cont-nl.fmt
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/pdftex/cont-en.fmt
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/pdftex/cont-nl.fmt
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/xetex/cont-en.fmt
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/xetex/cont-nl.fmt
> Apparently none of them found! Vide this first message:
> MTXrun | warning: no format found, forcing remake (commandline driven)
It's a Mac OS system (sorry, I though it was linux).

Can you try the latest minimals under
/Users/hans/LuaTeX
(just to  be sure to avoid conflicts)
?
--
luigi

* Re: error updating beta WAS: beta
@ 2011-02-02 20:14                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-02 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-2-2011 8:08, Peter Münster wrote:
> Vnpenguin<vnpenguin@vnoss.org>  writes:

>>> Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
>>> mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time
>>> mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv
>>
>> Yes, I like this idea. I don't care about mkii, nor pdftex.
>
> In the first place, this idea was meant to make Hans' life easier.
> (not the user's life... ;-)

as there is not much code written for mkii the burden for me is not that
large; also, now that the codebase is completely split, there is less
danger of changes in one affecting the other

also, there are mkii users out there, including collegues, so it won't
be dropped

installing mkiv only is already possible for a while

ok, we can have less files if we make a zip split, something that might
happen at some point (i need to adapt my assembling script then)

for a moment i considered

base/mkii
base/mkiv
base/common

but it might not be worth the effort,

Hans

(who after many hours finally managed to get a beta of one of his
favourite programs working on suse 11.3 as it kept crashing linux on
11.2 but well, it's beta for a reason)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-02 20:18                                   ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]                                     ` <6593892E-5E1B-4604-91AD-8BFF471AAB88@uva.nl>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-02 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-2-2011 8:07, Hans van der Meer wrote:
> More experiments, I am not one to be so easily defeated by software.
> Retrieved some old beta's, each time I start a context run then it results in the loadfilemarkerror.
> But I can find several formats lying around:
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/c180539b697aa06758debbc1182817e4/formats/cont-en.fmt
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/c180539b697aa06758debbc1182817e4/formats/cont-nl.fmt

best wipe the cache as the latest version uses a different hash so the
oldest path is obsolete

> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/pdftex/cont-en.fmt
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/pdftex/cont-nl.fmt
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/xetex/cont-en.fmt
> /Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/web2c/xetex/cont-nl.fmt

looks ok

> Apparently none of them found! Vide this first message:
> MTXrun | warning: no format found, forcing remake (commandline driven)

hm, the latest beta?

> export TEXLIVE=/usr/local/texlive/2010
> export TEXPRIVATE=$HOME/TeX/My-TeXLib
> export TEXMINIMAL=$HOME/TeX/ConTeXt/beta
> export TEXPATH=$TEXMINIMAL/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin
> export TEXMFDBS=$TEXMINIMAL
> #$TEXMINIMAL/tex/setuptex
> export TEXMF=$TEXMINIMAL
> Note: inserting the hashed out line doesn't make a difference.

you can check what mtxrun --generate returns as variables right at the
start

also, configuration of mkiv happens in texmfcnf.lua (see contextcnf.lua
for the future version of it, but that's for Mojca to decide)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-02 22:01                                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-02 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-2-2011 10:00, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Looking at these variables doesn't look good, I suspect:
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/Users/hans/Bin'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/Users/hans'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '/Users'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMF' set to '/Users/hans/TeX/ConTeXt/beta'
> MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXOS' set to 'hans'
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmf-local/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: unknown configuration file '/Users/texmfcnf.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
>
> If for example TEXOS has to be the name of an operating system or machine, than it is far beyond the mark.
> And /Userstexmf-local... ?? These are not users in the system!
> How and where are these variables acquired?

texos is only used to guess the texmf-[texos]/bin path

so, indeed, if you don't conform to the minimal structure it is not that
meaningful

anyhow, you have no configuration file in a known place so you can try
to set it yourself (TEXMFCNF=path_to_your_cnffile)

you cannot expect the minimals to work with arbitrary tree setups

normally this problem is just a side effect of putting binaries in a
spot that the SELF* variables cannot relate to

you can have extra bins of course, for instance I have (as i need to
test it):

texmf-mswin
texmf-mswin-new
texmf-mswin-texlive

and set up my console with:

SET PATH=%MYTEXROOT%\texmf-mswin-live\bin;%PATH%
SET PATH=%MYTEXROOT%\texmf-mswin\bin;%PATH%
SET PATH=%MYTEXROOT%\texmf-mswin-new\bin;%PATH%

so, the newest bins are taken first (under texroot are also the regular
minimal paths as wel as texmf-mine that has some dev files) ... so there
are plenty of ways to extend the minimals

also, I have a couple of dev paths added to the regular paths and do
that in a local extra texmfcnf.lua file (multiple files are supported)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE