* Fwd: [XeTeX] List of free Unicode fonts
       [not found] <4A985347.90804@gmail.com>
@ 2009-08-29  7:39 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-29  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

something interesting from the XeTeX mailing list.

> Dear all,
>
> I've noticed that there a lot of decent, free Unicode fonts available,
> some of which have interesting OpenType features to play with with
> XeTeX. I've put together the following PDF as a general guide and
> would
> like any suggestions or comments from the list. The PDF can be
> downloaded from:
>
> http://www.garzo.co.uk/documents/freefonts.pdf
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gareth.
>
> - --
> Gareth Hughes
>
> Department of Eastern Christianity
> Oriental Institute
> Pusey Lane
> Oxford
> OX1 2LE

* Re: Fwd: [XeTeX] List of free Unicode fonts
@ 2009-08-29 11:36   ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-08-29 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

i had no idea that the free ver. of minion pro came with small caps an
od st nums.

thanks for the link.

@ 2009-08-29 18:06     ` Derek CORDEIRO
From: Derek CORDEIRO @ 2009-08-29 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Mohamed Bana <mbana.lists@googlemail.com>wrote:

> i had no idea that the free ver. of minion pro came with small caps an od
> st nums.

I don't think its really free. If you download, you will be told so:
*Note:* The Font Pack software contained in this package is being licensed
to you solely for use with Adobe® Reader® software ("Adobe Reader") and is
subject to the terms and conditions of the electronic End-User License
Agreement accompanying your version Adobe Reader.

@ 2009-08-29 18:40       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-29 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.08.2009 um 20:06 schrieb Derek CORDEIRO:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Mohamed Bana <mbana.lists@googlemail.com
> >wrote:
>
>> i had no idea that the free ver. of minion pro came with small caps
>> an od
>> st nums.
>
> I don't think its really free. If you download, you will be told so:
> *Note:* The Font Pack software contained in this package is being
> licensed
> to you solely for use with Adobe® Reader® software ("Adobe Reader")
> and is
> subject to the terms and conditions of the electronic End-User License
> Agreement accompanying your version Adobe Reader.

The question wether you can use the fonts with other programs than
Adobe Reader
was asked a few times in different lists and the only useful answer i
found is
the following: http://www.typeforum.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&thold=-1&mode=flat&order=0&sid=259

Wolfgang

* Re: Fwd: [XeTeX] List of free Unicode fonts
@ 2009-08-29 21:05         ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2009-08-29 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 12:40:49 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 29.08.2009 um 20:06 schrieb Derek CORDEIRO:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Mohamed Bana
>> <mbana.lists@googlemail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> i had no idea that the free ver. of minion pro came with small caps an
>>> od
>>> st nums.
>>
>> I don't think its really free. If you download, you will be told so:
>> *Note:* The Font Pack software contained in this package is being
>> licensed
>> to you solely for use with Adobe® Reader® software ("Adobe Reader") and
>> is
>> subject to the terms and conditions of the electronic End-User License
>> Agreement accompanying your version Adobe Reader.
>
> The question wether you can use the fonts with other programs than Adobe
> Reader
> was asked a few times in different lists and the only useful answer i
> found is
> the following:
> http://www.typeforum.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&thold=-1&mode=flat&order=0&sid=259

Err, can you provide at least a 1-sentence summary in English?

:-)

IANAL, but TeX users will mostly be using the font only with Adobe
Reader/Acrobat anyway. So as long as you don't use gs or xpdf :D

[What a nonsensical rule, I doubt it's enforceable]

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Fwd: [XeTeX] List of free Unicode fonts
@ 2009-08-29 21:19           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-29 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.08.2009 um 23:05 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي
حامد:

> Err, can you provide at least a 1-sentence summary in English?

The question was if it's possible to install the fonts (Minion, Myriad
etc.)
in the windows font directory and use them with other programs than
Adobe Reader
(e.g. MS Office) and the answer from Adobe was: “It's no problem to
use the fonts
with other programs”.

Wolfgang