From: "Yue Wang" <yuleopen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: minimals: I'm not guilty :)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:52:28 +0800	[thread overview]

Hi, Mojca.

thanks for reply.

>  There is no problem to make one, but the most important question: Who
>  is going/willing to send me the binaries for the almost-latest XeTeX,
>  metapost, LuaTeX and pdfTeX? If anyone is willing to take that over
>  (send me binaries for the beginning) and to test it, I will add
>  another architecture to the scripts.

I can compile the x86 and amd64 binaries, but the bad news is I have no time :(
Let's see if native binaries are really need by people on the mailing list.

>  dvips ... might be supported, I don't know.
>
>  Is dvipdfm needed?

dvipdfmx? Of course. pdftex cannot handle CID fonts well. it wont
embed ttc and otf fonts. Apart from that it generates bigger pdfs than
other drivers.
But now the dvipdfmx configure files are almost missing, and one
cannot just use dvipdfmx foobar.tex to generate foobar.pdf directly.
dvipdfmx have  better support for Asian scripts, I think, and it is
needed before LuaTeX/MKIV is stable to do CJK language typesetting
(which we will keep waiting for a long, long, long time).

Yue Wang