* release
@ 2008-08-06 19:51 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-06 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

We have a new release (unless severe problems show up, this release will
stay for a while). If possible, the next release (oktober) will have an
alternative vertical spacing (mkiv only) and a reimplmented
sectioning/list/numbering mechanism (mkiv only).

There are also new zips of mininmals and cdwincontext. These now match
the minimals on the garden. Of course you're strongly advised to use the
garden.

Of course there will be the usual lot of betas.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-07  8:14 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-08-07  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

For your information, yesterday I updated my ConTeXt installation with
the command:
	sudo ctxtools --updatecontext
and the result is that I cannot anymore typeset any file with mkii,
nor mkiv…
Out of despair, I removed my whole MacTeX install (running texlive
2007 on Mac OS X 10.5.4), and tried to update again.
My version is now
	context version: 2008.08.05 18:47
and I get the following error message:
	ConTeXt ver: 2007.01.12 15:56 MKII fmt: 2008.8.6 int: english/english
language : language en is active
	system : cont-new loaded (/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/
context/base/cont-new.tex
	FatalError : Your format does not match the base files!
	FormatVersion : 2007.01.12 15:56
	MKII FilesVersion : 2008.08.05 18:47
Apparently something has changed in the way "ctxtools --updatecontext"
acts.

Any solution in sight?

Thanks for your attention: OK

On 6 août 08, at 21:51, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a new release (unless severe problems show up, this release
> will
> stay for a while). If possible, the next release (oktober) will have
> an
> alternative vertical spacing (mkiv only) and a reimplmented
> sectioning/list/numbering mechanism (mkiv only).
>
> There are also new zips of mininmals and cdwincontext. These now match
> the minimals on the garden. Of course you're strongly advised to use
> the
> garden.
>
> Of course there will be the usual lot of betas.
>
> Hans

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-07  8:52   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-07  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> For your information, yesterday I updated my ConTeXt installation with
> the command:
> 	sudo ctxtools --updatecontext
> and the result is that I cannot anymore typeset any file with mkii,
> nor mkiv…

when did you last update? was that successful? afaik nothing changed in
the 'normal' zips that should affect an update

but keep in mind that the minimals (zips) have now the structure of the
minimals at the garden

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-07  9:51     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-08-07  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your attention.
The last time I updated was this morning at 9:30 am…
Up to now my update procedure was always with "sudo ctxtools --
updatecontext" and it used to work until July 30 (last week).
I will try the minimals at the Garden and see what is going on (but
right now I am in Italy and my Internet connection are not very
smooth… so maybe I have to wait a while before I can experiment the
minimals).

Best regards: OK

On 7 août 08, at 10:52, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Otared Kavian wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> For your information, yesterday I updated my ConTeXt installation
>> with
>> the command:
>> 	sudo ctxtools --updatecontext
>> and the result is that I cannot anymore typeset any file with mkii,
>> nor mkiv…
>
> when did you last update? was that successful? afaik nothing changed
> in
> the 'normal' zips that should affect an update
>
> but keep in mind that the minimals (zips) have now the structure of
> the
> minimals at the garden
>

> Hans

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-07 10:58       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-07 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for your attention.
> The last time I updated was this morning at 9:30 am…
> Up to now my update procedure was always with "sudo ctxtools --
> updatecontext" and it used to work until July 30 (last week).

hm, strange ..

> I will try the minimals at the Garden and see what is going on (but
> right now I am in Italy and my Internet connection are not very
> smooth… so maybe I have to wait a while before I can experiment the
> minimals).

ok, as a quick start you could download one of the minimal zips

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-07 12:55 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2008-08-07 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 09:51:13PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a new release (unless severe problems show up, this release will
> stay for a while).

I think there are some regression in Arabic support, the attached
example gives intermingled Arabic in several places. I'm not sure when
this exactly happened, but a PDF that was generated with ConTeXt -
2008.06.28 and luaTeX-0.27.0 is fine.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team

* Re: release and MacTeX
@ 2008-08-07 13:04     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-08-07 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 août 08, at 10:52, Hans Hagen wrote:
> […]
>
> when did you last update? was that successful? afaik nothing changed
> in
> the 'normal' zips that should affect an update
>
> but keep in mind that the minimals (zips) have now the structure of
> the
> minimals at the garden
>

> Hans

Hi again Hans,

It is not possible to update to the latest release with "sudo ctxtools
--updatecontext".

In order to inform other Mac users, and possibly prevent them to
update, I am reporting my (bad) experience:
DO NOT UPDATE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON…

Indeed something has changed in the structure of the new tree, or in
the scripts, and obviously maybe both, so if you are not aware, don't
update!

And now my experience: yesterday I tried to update and then I got the
message
	FatalError : Your format does not match the base files!
expalining me why ConTeXt could not typeset my files.
After trying (without success…) to install the minimals from the
Garden, I had to install anew my whole TeX tree with TeXMac (which
installs TeXLive 2007).
However the ConTeXt present on MacTeX dates back to 2007.01.12, so in
order to have a more recent version, I downloaded manually from
	http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=14&release_id=313
the file
	cont-tmf-20080521.zip
copied it into (using sudo)
	/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
and then unzipped it there. Finally I did
	sudo texmfstart texexec --make --all --pdftex
after which I have a ConTeXt mkii
	ConTeXt ver: 2008.05.21 15:21 MKII fmt: 2008.8.7 int: english/english
which is not the latest, but it works fine…

Best reards: OK

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-07 13:14   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2008-08-07 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 712 bytes --]

Sorry, here is the file.

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 03:55:33PM +0300, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 09:51:13PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have a new release (unless severe problems show up, this release will
> > stay for a while).
>
> I think there are some regression in Arabic support, the attached
> example gives intermingled Arabic in several places. I'm not sure when
> this exactly happened, but a PDF that was generated with ConTeXt -
> 2008.06.28 and luaTeX-0.27.0 is fine.
>
> Regards,
>  Khaled
>
> --
>  Khaled Hosny
>  Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: bookmarks.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 3017 bytes --]

% engine=luatex
\mainlanguage[ar]

% Font
\definefontfeature
   [arabic]
   [mode=node,language=dflt,script=arab,
    init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,isol=yes,
    liga=yes,dlig=yes,rlig=yes,clig=yes,
    mark=yes,mkmk=yes,kern=yes,curs=yes]

\starttypescript [serif] [arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [Arabic-Light]       [name:arabtype] [features=arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [Arabic-Bold]        [name:arabtype] [features=arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [Arabic-Italic]      [name:arabtype] [features=arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [Arabic-Bold-Italic] [name:arabtype] [features=arabic]
 \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [arabic] [name]
 \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
 \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Arabic-Light]       [features=arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Arabic-Italic]      [features=arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Arabic-Bold]        [features=arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Arabic-Bold-Italic] [features=arabic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Arabic]
  \definetypeface [Arabic] [rm] [serif] [arabic] [default]
\stoptypescript

\def\ArabicGlobalDir {\pagedir TRT\bodydir TRT\pardir TRT\textdir TRT}
\def\ArabicParDir    {\textdir TRT\pardir TRT}
\def\ArabicTextDir   {\textdir TRT}
\def\LatinParDir     {\textdir TLT\pardir TLT}
\def\LatinTextDir    {\textdir TLT}
\def\LatinGlobalDir  {\pagedir TLT\bodydir TLT\pardir TLT\textdir TLT}

\definestartstop
  [arabicpar]
  [commands=\Arabic\ArabicParDir]

\define[1]\AR
  {{\Arabic\ArabicTextDir#1}}

\define\setArabic
  {\ArabicGlobalDir%
   \usetypescript[Arabic]%
   \setupbodyfont[Arabic,20pt]}

\definestartstop
  [latinpar]
  [commands=\Arabic\LatinParDir]

\define[1]\LT
  {{\LatinTextDir#1}}

\define\setLatin
  {\LatinGlobalDir%
   \usetypescript[lm]%
   \setupbodyfont[lm,20pt]}

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\placebookmarks[chapter,section,subsection][chapter,section]
\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]

\setupinteraction
   [state=start,
    title={كيف تكتب عربي مع كُنْتِكِسْت},
    author={خالد حسني},
    subtitle={صف الحروف حاسوبيا مع تخ وكنتكست},
    keyword={عربي تخ كنتكست صف محارف طباعة}]

\starttext

\setArabic

\startstandardmakeup
  \midaligned{كيف تكتب عربي في كُنْتِكِسْت}
  \midaligned{كتبه}
  \midaligned{خالد حسني}
\stopstandardmakeup

\completecontent

\chapter{مقدمة}
كُنْتِكِسْت \LT{(\CONTEXT)} هو حزمة ماكرو لنظام تخ \LT{(\TeX)} لصف المحارف.
\chapter{أول فصل}
\section[firstsection]{أول باب}
... كلام ...
\section{ثاني باب}
... كلام\index{فهرس آخر} ...
\subsection{ثاني مسألة}
... كلام ...
\section{ثالث باب}
... كلام ...
\chapter{فصل آخر}
... كلام ...
\chapter[lastchapter]{آخر فصل}
... كلام ...
\completeindex
\stoptext

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-08 14:33 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-08-08 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hans Hagen <pragma <at> wxs.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> We have a new release (unless severe problems show up, this release will
> stay for a while). If possible, the next release (oktober) will have an
> alternative vertical spacing (mkiv only) and a reimplmented
> sectioning/list/numbering mechanism (mkiv only).
>
> There are also new zips of mininmals and cdwincontext. These now match
> the minimals on the garden. Of course you're strongly advised to use the
> garden.
>
> Of course there will be the usual lot of betas.
>
> Hans

Hi,

How do I update the minimals on a Linux box?  (If this is of any use)  I've
installed it in

~/context-installation-directory

$ ls
bin             first.tex    tex
first-setup.sh  status-of-update.lua

Mohamed

* Re: release and MacTeX
@ 2008-08-08 21:40       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-08 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian wrote:

> 	FatalError : Your format does not match the base files!
> expalining me why ConTeXt could not typeset my files.
> After trying (without success…) to install the minimals from the
> Garden, I had to install anew my whole TeX tree with TeXMac (which
> installs TeXLive 2007).

this normally means that you need to run texexec --make

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-09  7:55   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-09  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mohamed Bana wrote:

> How do I update the minimals on a Linux box?  (If this is of any use)  I've
> installed it in
>
> ~/context-installation-directory
>
> $ ls
> bin             first.tex    tex
> first-setup.sh  status-of-update.lua

 From the wiki page:

   == Updating ==

   For now, the main recipe to update is to run first-setup again

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-09 15:21     ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-08-09 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater <taco <at> elvenkind.com> writes:

>  From the wiki page:
>
>    == Updating ==
>
>    For now, the main recipe to update is to run first-setup again
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Hi,

Can I update to mkiv from TexLive 2008?

Mohamed

* Re: release
@ 2008-08-09 15:38       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-08-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

> Can I update to mkiv from TexLive 2008?

TL2008 does have MKIV package. However, it is not always latest.
(I think TL 2008 just follow the CTAN version)
So minimals installation is recommended.

Yue Wang

* Re: release and MacTeX
@ 2008-08-10 10:11       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-08-10 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 7, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> Hi again Hans,
>
> It is not possible to update to the latest release with "sudo ctxtools
> --updatecontext".
>
> In order to inform other Mac users, and possibly prevent them to
> update, I am reporting my (bad) experience:
> DO NOT UPDATE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON…
>
> Indeed something has changed in the structure of the new tree, or in
> the scripts, and obviously maybe both, so if you are not aware, don't
> update!

I have a Mac, and am not experiencing the problems you describe. The
updating process went smoothly, without any hitch, so I suspect it
must be some problem with your setup (maybe older formats shadowing
the ones ConTeXt created?).

Thomas