* Copy & Paste chinese in PDF files
@ 2008-12-10 12:28 Yu Yi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Yu Yi @ 2008-12-10 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

hi, I'm thinking now whether change from latex to context. As I know,
both latex and context support the chinese language, but like in Latex,
there is a problem with generated PDF, that is, the chinese words can
not be copied and pasted correctly as the english words, how about this
function in context? Anyway, this does not work in the provided manuals
and examples!

appreciate for any tips!

Yu Yi

* Re: Copy & Paste chinese in PDF files
@ 2008-12-11  9:39 ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2008-12-11  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nihao Yi,

2008/12/10 Yu Yi <yi@mathematik.uni-marburg.de>

> hi, I'm thinking now whether change from latex to context. As I know, both
> latex and context support the chinese language, but like in Latex, there is
> a problem with generated PDF, that is, the chinese words can not be copied
> and pasted correctly as the english words, how about this function in
> context? Anyway, this does not work in the provided manuals and examples!
>
> appreciate for any tips!

Using luatex there should be no problem.
My file:

% engine=luatex
\font\kaiti=name:kaiti at 140pt\kaiti
\starttext
人之初,\par
性本善。\par
性相近,\par
习相远。
\stoptext

After running luatex i can copy and paste all characters
into for instance Babelpad.

Greetings

Lutz

@ 2008-12-11 12:51 ` Yanrui Li
From: Yanrui Li @ 2008-12-11 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/12/10 Yu Yi <yi@mathematik.uni-marburg.de>:
> hi, I'm thinking now whether change from latex to context. As I know, both
> latex and context support the chinese language, but like in Latex, there is
> a problem with generated PDF, that is, the chinese words can not be copied
> and pasted correctly as the english words, how about this function in
> context? Anyway, this does not work in the provided manuals and examples!

I have written a  simple note of ConTeXt MkIV in Chinese, which maybe
is helpful for you . You can download it from
http://code.google.com/p/way2ctx/downloads/list

I would plan to write new one and try my best to make it as a tutorial
of MkIV. I hope I can finishe it in spring of next year.

--
Best wishes,
Li Yanrui

* Re: Copy & Paste chinese in PDF files
@ 2008-12-11 13:27 ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2008-12-11 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:28:51 +0100 schrieb Yu Yi:

> hi, I'm thinking now whether change from latex to context. As I know,
> both latex and context support the chinese language, but like in Latex,
> there is a problem with generated PDF, that is, the chinese words can
> not be copied and pasted correctly as the english words, how about this
> function in context?

This is not so much a question of the format (LaTeX or context) but of
the underlying engines and the fonts. E.g. dvidpfmx seems to do it fine,
but pdftex needs special map files:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cjk@ffii.org/msg00221.html

The unicode orientated engines xetex (with latex or context) or luatex
(for which adequate support exists currently only in context) will
probably work out of the box.

--
Ulrike Fischer

* Re: Copy & Paste chinese in PDF files
@ 2008-12-12  2:53   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-12-12  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is not so much a question of the format (LaTeX or context) but of
> the underlying engines and the fonts. E.g. dvidpfmx seems to do it fine,
> but pdftex needs special map files:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cjk@ffii.org/msg00221.html
>
> The unicode orientated engines xetex (with latex or context) or luatex
> (for which adequate support exists currently only in context) will
> probably work out of the box.

also needs to be supported by macros.
For example, hyperlink in chinese will broke in
XeLaTeX/pdfLaTeX/dvipdfmx with hyperref(even we choose the proper
driver). but works fine in XeConTeXt and LuaTeX MKIV.

@ 2008-12-12  2:55   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-12-12  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Yanrui,

Are you sure we should proceed the bibtex manually? (page38 of your version 2)
since I run pdfTeX and bibtex, the process can be done automatically
using texexec (after the 2006 release, of course).

Yue Wang

@ 2008-12-12  3:39     ` Yanrui Li
From: Yanrui Li @ 2008-12-12  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/12/12 Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com>:
> Hi, Yanrui,
>
> Are you sure we should proceed the bibtex manually? (page38 of your version 2)
> since I run pdfTeX and bibtex, the process can be done automatically
> using texexec (after the 2006 release, of course).

Yes, If we use 'context' as compiling command, I'm sure that.

--
Best wishes,
Li Yanrui

* Re: Copy & Paste chinese in PDF files
@ 2008-12-12  4:16       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-12  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Yanrui Li wrote:

> 2008/12/12 Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com>:
>> Hi, Yanrui,
>>
>> Are you sure we should proceed the bibtex manually? (page38 of your version 2)
>> since I run pdfTeX and bibtex, the process can be done automatically
>> using texexec (after the 2006 release, of course).
>
> Yes, If we use 'context' as compiling command, I'm sure that.

The new version of t-bib (2008.12.01) runs bibtex automatically even with
'context' command.

Aditya