* different behavior between xetex and luatex
@ 2008-12-23  4:26 Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-12-23  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jin-Hwan Cho, Taco Hoekwater, Hans Hagen,
	mailing list for ConTeXt users, Kew Jonathan

Hi, all.

I expect different output in xetex and luatex using context. and I
think the problem is quite serious although I do not speak Turkish.
in turkish, fi can not be treat as ligatures and I can see luatex
handle that quite well. however, in xetex, fi are treated as
ligatures.
I attach the files and output here. I don't know it is a bug in xetex,
context or dvipdfmx:(

Yue Wang

[-- Attachment #2: a.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: a.tex --]

[-- Attachment #4: b.pdf --]

* Re: different behavior between xetex and luatex
@ 2008-12-23  8:08 ` Jonathan Kew
From: Jonathan Kew @ 2008-12-23  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yue Wang

On 23 Dec 2008, at 04:26, Yue Wang wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I expect different output in xetex and luatex using context. and I
> think the problem is quite serious although I do not speak Turkish.
> in turkish, fi can not be treat as ligatures and I can see luatex
> handle that quite well. however, in xetex, fi are treated as
> ligatures.
> I attach the files and output here. I don't know it is a bug in xetex,
> context or dvipdfmx:(
>
> Yue Wang
> <a.pdf><a.tex><b.pdf>

I don't know how the ConTeXt+XeTeX font setup works, but I notice
"language=trk" in your file. OpenType language tags are all-uppercase,
so I would have expected this to be "language=TRK". If the proper
language system isn't specified, you will get the default behavior,
which includes the "fi" ligatures.

In the LuaTeX case, I don't think *any* ligatures are enabled by
default, so the language is irrelevant; notice that there's no "ff"
ligature in your output either, even though this should be expected.

JK

* Re: different behavior between xetex and luatex
@ 2008-12-23  8:42   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-12-23  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2008, at 04:26, Yue Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I expect different output in xetex and luatex using context. and I
>> think the problem is quite serious although I do not speak Turkish.
>> in turkish, fi can not be treat as ligatures and I can see luatex
>> handle that quite well. however, in xetex, fi are treated as
>> ligatures.
>> I attach the files and output here. I don't know it is a bug in xetex,
>> context or dvipdfmx:(
>>
>> Yue Wang
>> <a.pdf><a.tex><b.pdf>
>
> I don't know how the ConTeXt+XeTeX font setup works, but I notice
> "language=trk" in your file. OpenType language tags are all-uppercase, so I
> would have expected this to be "language=TRK". If the proper language system
> isn't specified, you will get the default behavior, which includes the "fi"
> ligatures.

When trk is replaced by TRK it works OK in XeTeX.

> In the LuaTeX case, I don't think *any* ligatures are enabled by default, so
> the language is irrelevant; notice that there's no "ff" ligature in your
> output either, even though this should be expected.

LuaTeX (ConTeXt with LuaTeX support) is a bit broken at the moment -
the example doesn't compile here, so it's difficult to say anything.

Mojca

* Re: different behavior between xetex and luatex
@ 2008-12-23 10:08     ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-12-23 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans:

> When trk is replaced by TRK it works OK in XeTeX.

Thanks! So I think we should support lowercase code for xetex as well
for api consistency?
LuaTeX/MKIV use lowercase labels.

Then we can get similar output using the same tex file.

Yue Wang

* Re: different behavior between xetex and luatex
@ 2008-12-23 10:15   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-12-23 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Kew