* problem with pdftex-1.40.1 and Gentium ligatures
@ 2007-01-31 20:53 Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2007-01-31 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I moved from pdftex-1.30.5-2.2 (from texlive-base-bin
2005.dfsg.2-10 on debian) to pdftex-1.40.1 suddenly ligatures in
gentium exhibited erratic behavior: they appeared correctly (or, more
accurately, the letters appeared, they did not look like a proper
ligature) on screen in xpdf and acroread but did not print (there were
just empty spaces). On windows, the fi, fl, and ff combinations made
blanks, just as on the printer. Reverting to pdftex-1.30.5-2.2
corrected the problem. Gentium is from ttf-gentium 1.02-2 on debian
and the typescript I use is below. Perhaps my poor typesetting
knowledge has lead me wrong and the lack of true ligatures is the
actual problem?

Regards, Johan

--
Johan Sandblom  N8, MRC, Karolinska sjh
t +46851776108  17176 Stockholm

[-- Attachment #2: type-sil-gentium.tex --]

* Re: problem with pdftex-1.40.1 and Gentium ligatures
@ 2007-02-01  8:59 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-02-01  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Johan,

If the only change is the pdftex version, than it sounds like this
is a pdftex bug. Any chance you can create a small standalone testfile?

Best, Taco

@ 2007-02-01 16:32   ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2007-02-01 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

It took a lot of searching for a minimal case, apparently there are
many levels of interaction here. The file below has blanks for fi fl
ff when compiled with pdftex-1.40.1 but not with pdftex-1.30.5. Do you
need some parts of my tex/font setup as well?

Johan

\usetypescriptfile[type-sil-gentium]
\usetypescript[my][sil-gentium]
\setupbodyfont[sil-gentium, 10pt]

\definetypeface
  [chance]
  [cg]
  [calligraphy]
  [chancery]
  [default]
  [encoding=texnansi]

\def\ChCmd#1#2{%
  \switchtobodyfont[14pt]
  \setupinterlinespace[small]
  \framed[width=15cm, align=normal, frame=off]
         {\framed[frame=off, align=middle, offset=2mm, width=.8\textwidth]{#2}
          \hfilll\switchtobodyfont[chance,30pt]
          \framed[background=color, backgroundcolor=black, width=3cm,
align=right]{\white\bf#1}}}

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [command=\ChCmd,
    header=empty,
    page=right]

\starttext

\chapter[meth]{Methods for studying human brain function}

fill significantly flog flash floozy flagellation

\stoptext

@ 2007-02-01 18:29     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-02-01 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johan Sandblom wrote:
> It took a lot of searching for a minimal case, apparently there are
> many levels of interaction here. The file below has blanks for fi fl
> ff when compiled with pdftex-1.40.1 but not with pdftex-1.30.5. Do you
> need some parts of my tex/font setup as well?
>
> Johan
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-sil-gentium]
> \usetypescript[my][sil-gentium]
> \setupbodyfont[sil-gentium, 10pt]
>
> \definetypeface
>   [chance]
>   [cg]
>   [calligraphy]
>   [chancery]
>   [default]
>   [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \def\ChCmd#1#2{%
>   \switchtobodyfont[14pt]
>   \setupinterlinespace[small]
>   \framed[width=15cm, align=normal, frame=off]
>          {\framed[frame=off, align=middle, offset=2mm, width=.8\textwidth]{#2}
>           \hfilll\switchtobodyfont[chance,30pt]
>           \framed[background=color, backgroundcolor=black, width=3cm,
> align=right]{\white\bf#1}}}
>
> \setuphead
>   [chapter]
>   [command=\ChCmd,
>     header=empty,
>     page=right]
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter[meth]{Methods for studying human brain function}
>
> fill significantly flog flash floozy flagellation
>
> \stoptext
>
> 2007/2/1, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:
>
>> Hi Johan,
>>
>> If the only change is the pdftex version, than it sounds like this
>> is a pdftex bug. Any chance you can create a small standalone testfile?
>>
>> Best, Taco
>>
>> Johan Sandblom wrote:
>>
>>> When I moved from pdftex-1.30.5-2.2 (from texlive-base-bin
>>> 2005.dfsg.2-10 on debian) to pdftex-1.40.1 suddenly ligatures in
>>> gentium exhibited erratic behavior: they appeared correctly (or, more
>>> accurately, the letters appeared, they did not look like a proper
>>> ligature) on screen in xpdf and acroread but did not print (there were
>>> just empty spaces). On windows, the fi, fl, and ff combinations made
>>> blanks, just as on the printer. Reverting to pdftex-1.30.5-2.2
>>> corrected the problem. Gentium is from ttf-gentium 1.02-2 on debian
>>> and the typescript I use is below. Perhaps my poor typesetting
>>> knowledge has lead me wrong and the lack of true ligatures is the
>>> actual problem?

no, but it may be related to a bug in vf handling that has been resolved
by now (new version of pdftex coming)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-02-01 21:02       ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2007-02-01 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the time being I simplified my design and removed the use of Zapf
Chancery, and there is no problem.

Johan

@ 2007-02-02  8:54         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-02-02  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Johan,

Johan Sandblom wrote:
> For the time being I simplified my design and removed the use of Zapf
> Chancery, and there is no problem.

I am trying to work this out, but I obviously miss the gentium
font files (metric and map files, as wel as the actual fonts).
I can get the ttfs from the sil site, but where did the tfms
and map files come from?

Best,
Taco

* Re: problem with pdftex-1.40.1 and Gentium ligatures
@ 2007-02-02  9:02           ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2007-02-02  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, neglected to mention (it was long ago and I had forgotten), I
installed it with texfont

texfont --ma --in --ve=sil --co=gentium --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf
--afmpl [--en=ec]

hmm, can't remember if it was /usr/share on the end

Thank you for your efforts

Johan

@ 2007-02-02 11:50           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-02-02 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/2/2, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:

> I am trying to work this out, but I obviously miss the gentium
> font files (metric and map files, as wel as the actual fonts).
> I can get the ttfs from the sil site, but where did the tfms
> and map files come from?

Take mine:
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: problem with pdftex-1.40.1 and Gentium ligatures
@ 2007-02-02 12:24             ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-02-02 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/2/2, Johan Sandblom <johan.sandblom@ki.se>:
> Sorry, neglected to mention (it was long ago and I had forgotten), I
> installed it with texfont

Btw: The -recorder switch of pdftex/web2c (don't know how to use that
with texexec) will write a list of all files used by pdftex (including
fonts) to a file. And if you put all these files in the same directory
as your input file, pdftex will use those, so you don't have to fiddle
with texmf-*.

Best
   Martin

* Re: problem with pdftex-1.40.1 and Gentium ligatures
@ 2007-02-02 12:53               ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-02-02 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The -recorder switch of pdftex/web2c (don't know how to use that
> with texexec)

Like so:

  texexec --passon=-recorder file.tex

The --passon feature had lapsed in the transition from perl to ruby
texexec, but Hans and Taco fixed it in one of the recent ConTeXt
releases.  I now use it all the time to get compiler-like error msgs:

  texexec --passon=-file-line-error ...

filtering the output through

  egrep -i -A 4 '^([^ :]+:[0-9]+: |output written.*pages)'

to select the error lines and a bit of context, so to speak.

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

* Re: problem with pdftex-1.40.1 and Gentium ligatures (pdftex bug)
@ 2007-02-02 13:52               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-02-02 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

See minimal example here:

http://sarovar.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=729&group_id=106&atid=493

Best, Taco

* Re: problem with pdftex-1.40.1 and Gentium ligatures
@ 2007-02-05 11:24 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-02-05 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/31/07, Johan Sandblom <jsandblom@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I moved from pdftex-1.30.5-2.2 (from texlive-base-bin
> 2005.dfsg.2-10 on debian) to pdftex-1.40.1 suddenly ligatures in

This seem to be fixed with 1.40.3 release of pdftex .

luigi

* Re: problem with pdftex-1.40.1 and Gentium ligatures
@ 2007-02-05 12:21   ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-02-05 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/2/5, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>:
> This seem to be fixed with 1.40.3 release of pdftex .

This _is_ fixed and the only reason for 1.40.3. :-}

Best
   Martin