* Compatiblity option in pdf
@ 2007-10-22 15:52 John Culleton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Culleton @ 2007-10-22 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I created a short document
using Context and with a clickable TOC and one thumbnail. The thumbnail was
created with the Han The Thanh pdftex macro code I mentioned recently. Some
users view it fine, others with earlier versions of  Acrobat Reader have
problems. A friend ftom the InDesign/Distiller world suggests that I recreate
the pdf with the compatibility option turned on.  Does this suggestion have
any meaning in the Context/pdftex world?

Can interested readers read the above url OK?
--
John Culleton
Want to know what I really think?

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

* Re: Compatiblity option in pdf
@ 2007-10-22 16:53 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-10-22 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

John Culleton schrieb:
> I created a short document
> http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf
> using Context and with a clickable TOC and one thumbnail. The thumbnail was
> created with the Han The Thanh pdftex macro code I mentioned recently. Some

thumbnail or bookmark ?

> users view it fine, others with earlier versions of  Acrobat Reader have
> problems. A friend ftom the InDesign/Distiller world suggests that I recreate
> the pdf with the compatibility option turned on.  Does this suggestion have
> any meaning in the Context/pdftex world?

just guessing...

\pdfminorversion 3

or

\pdfobjcompresslevel=0  % 0-3 (default 3); 0= don't compress object streams

If I remember it right Acrobat versions <6 can't read pdf with obj
stream compression. See pdftex manual for details.

> Can interested readers read the above url OK?

Yep!

Greetings, Peter

* Re: Compatiblity option in pdf
@ 2007-10-22 17:11 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-10-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/10/22, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com>:

> I created a short document
> http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf
> using Context and with a clickable TOC and one thumbnail. The thumbnail
> was
> created with the Han The Thanh pdftex macro code I mentioned recently.
> Some
> users view it fine, others with earlier versions of  Acrobat Reader have
> problems. A friend ftom the InDesign/Distiller world suggests that I
> recreate
> the pdf with the compatibility option turned on.  Does this suggestion
> have
> any meaning in the Context/pdftex world?
>
> Can interested readers read the above url OK?
> --
> John Culleton

Hi John,

the output looks fine to me, I see your document on Acrobat 8.1 at a Windows
machine and have no problems.

Your friend could mean to reduce the PDF version of your document, you could
use PDFTeX's \pdfminorversion for this purpose.

Wolfgang

* Re: Compatiblity option in pdf
@ 2007-10-22 17:14 ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-10-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/10/22, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com>:
> problems. A friend ftom the InDesign/Distiller world suggests that I recreate
> the pdf with the compatibility option turned on.  Does this suggestion have
> any meaning in the Context/pdftex world?

No. :-)

> Can interested readers read the above url OK?

It's PDF 1.5, so readers need at least AR6.
You can switch to e.g. PDF 1.3 with \pdfminorversion=3

Best
   Martin

* Re: Compatiblity option in pdf
@ 2007-10-22 17:53   ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-10-22 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/10/22, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net>:
> \pdfobjcompresslevel=0  % 0-3 (default 3); 0= don't compress object streams
>
> If I remember it right Acrobat versions <6 can't read pdf with obj
> stream compression. See pdftex manual for details.

If they can read PDF 1.5 (i.e. AR6++), they can also handle stream compression.

Best
   Martin

* Re: Compatiblity option in pdf
@ 2007-10-22 20:31   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-10-22 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> 2007/10/22, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com>:
>
>> I created a short document
>> http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf
>> using Context and with a clickable TOC and one thumbnail. The thumbnail
>> was
>> created with the Han The Thanh pdftex macro code I mentioned recently.
>> Some
>> users view it fine, others with earlier versions of  Acrobat Reader have
>> problems. A friend ftom the InDesign/Distiller world suggests that I
>> recreate
>> the pdf with the compatibility option turned on.  Does this suggestion
>> have
>> any meaning in the Context/pdftex world?
>>
>> Can interested readers read the above url OK?
>> --
>> John Culleton
>

> Hi John,
>
> the output looks fine to me, I see your document on Acrobat 8.1 at a Windows
> machine and have no problems.
>
> Your friend could mean to reduce the PDF version of your document, you could
> use PDFTeX's \pdfminorversion for this purpose.

indeed if one has a full acrobat one can convert it hwile preflighting

the document is ok for acrobat >= 6; for acrobat 4/5 transparency
flattening and/or layer info is to be discarded;

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-10-23  2:28   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2007-10-23  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 22 October 2007 12:53:21 pm Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> John Culleton schrieb:
> > I created a short document
> > http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf
> > using Context and with a clickable TOC and one thumbnail. The thumbnail
> > was created with the Han The Thanh pdftex macro code I mentioned
> > recently. Some
>
> thumbnail or bookmark ?

Bookmark. I was writing one and thinking the other.