* lots of luatex process/instances (ps xa| grep lua / top -----sort by memory)
@ 2009-05-10 18:05 Amaël Broustet
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Amaël Broustet @ 2009-05-10 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear context users,
at first a lot of warm thanks for help and comments on using
t-simpleslides.

On a different matter, I now have the following problem :
I do a lot of testing trying compiling my slides (using the following
command : "context essai.tex"). Sometimes, I get errors and an
interactive prompt that I kill with either ctrl+C or ctrl+Z (at random).

I noticed that my computer was swapping (2Go RAM).
With "ps xa  | grep lua" I get 34 process.

Using "top" and sorting by memory used the processes, I noticed 7
instances of luatex and 5 of texlua on the first page for a total of
800MB of resident memory.

Did I miss something using context (I do "context essai.tex" each time
that I want compile changes) ?

"killall luatex" and kill -15 PID does nothing.

Best,
Amaël

* Re: lots of luatex process/instances (ps xa| grep lua / top -----sort by memory)
@ 2009-05-10 18:14 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-05-10 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

>                                 Sometimes, I get errors and an
> interactive prompt that I kill with either ctrl+C or ctrl+Z (at random).

  You shouldn't do that.  Type 'x' at the error prompt, it makes
(Lua)TeX terminate.  Ctrl+C sometimes isn't enough to kill LuaTeX,
though I have no idea why; as for Ctrl+Z, it never kills anything, it
sends the suspend signal (you should see the process status with top).

> "killall luatex" and kill -15 PID does nothing.

  kill -1 is usually enough.

	Arthur

* Re: lots of luatex process/instances (ps xa| grep lua / top -----sort by memory)
@ 2009-05-10 18:25 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-05-10 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've also noticed something along those lines.  I've also found that
CTRL+Z/C doesn't really exit the program --- there are stale processes
still lying around.

What I described is general, it tends to happen across big documents.

Is this a known problem?

@ 2009-05-10 18:36   ` Amaël Broustet
From: Amaël Broustet @ 2009-05-10 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you !
it's ok now.

@ 2009-05-10 18:41   ` Amaël Broustet
From: Amaël Broustet @ 2009-05-10 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On a small example : ctrl+C works, ctrl+Z leaves unkillable (either -15
or -1) luatex and texlua process. kill -9 leaves zombies.
killing the parent shell clean everything.

@ 2009-05-10 19:06     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-05-10 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On a small example : ctrl+C works, ctrl+Z leaves unkillable (either -15
> or -1) luatex and texlua process.

  Again, that's because Ctrl+Z, in a normal Unix environment, only
suspends the process, it never kills it.  Try kill -19 first (SIGCONT),
then kill -15 or -1.

  You can try the following experiment: run a small example file with an
error and type Ctrl+Z.  You may think you exited the process, but now
type "fg".  You should recover the LuaTeX run in the exact state you
left it.  It has not been killed.

	Arthur

* Re: lots of luatex process/instances (ps xa| grep lua / top -----sort by memory)
@ 2009-05-10 19:44 ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-05-10 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/5/10, Amaël Broustet <context@amael.net>:
>  "killall luatex" and kill -15 PID does nothing.

Don't use killall. Linux != Unix.

Best
   Martin