* goto reference
@ 2018-04-18 19:12 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-04-18 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I have the following question about referencing.

With \goto{typeset_the_text}[url(file://a_file_location_to_goto <file:///a_file_location_to_goto>.pdf)] I can open a pdf from inside the document that has been typeset. It would, however, be nice if I could further specify on which page of the pdf to open. Is this possible? Or is this a wish not to be fulfilled?

dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: goto reference
@ 2018-04-18 19:58 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-04-18 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

For documents on the web you can add #page=<NUMBER> to the url.

\setupinteraction[state=start]

\starttext
\goto{Beginners
manual}[url(http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf\letterhash page=58)]
\stoptext

Wolfgang
> Hans van der Meer <mailto:havdmeer@ziggo.nl>
> 18. April 2018 um 21:12
> I have the following question about referencing.
>
> With \goto{typeset_the_text}[url(file://a_file_location_to_goto
> <file:///a_file_location_to_goto>.pdf)] I can open a pdf from inside
> the document that has been typeset. It would, however, be nice if I
> could further specify on which page of the pdf to open. Is this
> possible? Or is this a wish not to be fulfilled?
>
> dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: goto reference
@ 2018-04-18 21:04   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-04-18 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Thanks. But this seems not to work on my Macintosh. Not in Preview, not in Adobe Reader.
Typesetting resulted in valid-url.pdf#page=55 but the document opens at the last page remebered by the application. Are there other Macintosh users who can confirm this is not working on those machines or should I do something else?

dr. Hans van der Meer

> On 18 Apr 2018, at 21:58, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For documents on the web you can add #page=<NUMBER> to the url.
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
>
> \starttext
> \goto{Beginners manual}[url(http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf\letterhash <http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf/letterhash> page=58)]
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang
>> Hans van der Meer <mailto:havdmeer@ziggo.nl> 18. April 2018 um 21:12
>> I have the following question about referencing.
>>
>> With \goto{typeset_the_text}[url(file://a_file_location_to_goto <file:///a_file_location_to_goto>.pdf)] I can open a pdf from inside the document that has been typeset. It would, however, be nice if I could further specify on which page of the pdf to open. Is this possible? Or is this a wish not to be fulfilled?
>>
>> dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: goto reference
@ 2018-04-18 21:51     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-04-18 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

My example works for me with Preview and Adobe Reader, in both cases
Safari opens the PDF on page 58.

Wolfgang
> Hans van der Meer <mailto:havdmeer@ziggo.nl>
> 18. April 2018 um 21:12
> I have the following question about referencing.
>
> With \goto{typeset_the_text}[url(file://a_file_location_to_goto
> <file:///a_file_location_to_goto>.pdf)] I can open a pdf from inside
> the document that has been typeset. It would, however, be nice if I
> could further specify on which page of the pdf to open. Is this
> possible? Or is this a wish not to be fulfilled?
>
> dr. Hans van der Meer

> 18. April 2018 um 21:58
> For documents on the web you can add #page=<NUMBER> to the url.
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
>
> \starttext
> \goto{Beginners
> manual}[url(http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf\letterhash
> page=58)]
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang
>
> Hans van der Meer <mailto:havdmeer@ziggo.nl>
> 18. April 2018 um 23:04
> Thanks. But this seems not to work on my Macintosh. Not in Preview,
> not in Adobe Reader.
> Typesetting resulted in valid-url.pdf#page=55 but the document opens
> at the last page remebered by the application. Are there other
> Macintosh users who can confirm this is not working on those machines
> or should I do something else?
>
> dr. Hans van der Meer

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: goto reference
@ 2018-04-19  0:07     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2018-04-19  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On my Mac, running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5 Beta, the example given by Wolfgang works fine: clicking on the link created by ConTeXt, from within TeXShop, Safari opens that document on the desired page, that is the physical page 58.

Best regards: OK

> On 18 Apr 2018, at 23:04, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:
>
> Thanks. But this seems not to work on my Macintosh. Not in Preview, not in Adobe Reader.
> Typesetting resulted in valid-url.pdf#page=55 but the document opens at the last page remebered by the application. Are there other Macintosh users who can confirm this is not working on those machines or should I do something else?
>
> dr. Hans van der Meer
>

>> On 18 Apr 2018, at 21:58, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com <mailto:schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> For documents on the web you can add #page=<NUMBER> to the url.
>>
>> \setupinteraction[state=start]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \goto{Beginners manual}[url(http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf\letterhash <http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf/letterhash> page=58)]
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>> Hans van der Meer <mailto:havdmeer@ziggo.nl> 18. April 2018 um 21:12
>>> I have the following question about referencing.
>>>
>>> With \goto{typeset_the_text}[url(file://a_file_location_to_goto <file:///a_file_location_to_goto>.pdf)] I can open a pdf from inside the document that has been typeset. It would, however, be nice if I could further specify on which page of the pdf to open. Is this possible? Or is this a wish not to be fulfilled?
>>>
>>> dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: goto reference
@ 2018-04-19  7:37       ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-04-19  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

The goto to the internet as given by Wolfgang works here too, but other configurations do not. Please ascertain my observations from the test given below. You should replace the absolute path by your own, of course. Three cases are programmed:
(1) Wolfgang’s
(2) full path ftp:// access opens file but at last page opened
(3) local path does not open and brings up an Alert
Run from TeXShop and also directly in Preview and Adobe Reader with the same results.

Thanks in advance.

dr. Hans van der Meer

\starttext
\currentdate-\currenttime\quad\ConTeXt-version=\contextversion\blank
Testing directly from \ConTeXt:\blank
\setupinteraction[state=start,color=blue,style=italic]
\goto{Beginners manual called with http:// opens in browser as expected}[url(http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf\letterhash page=50)]\blank
file test.pdf sits in the current directory.\blank
\goto{click test.pdf page10 with ftp:///Users/... (full path given) opens at last page opened not at page 10 in Apple's Preview}[url(file:///Users/hansm/TeX/Test-tex/gotopdf/test.pdf\letterhash page=10)]{\quad\bf Put your own path here!}\blank
\goto{click test.pdf page10 with ftp://test.pdf (local path)) does not open}[url(file://test.pdf\letterhash page=10)]\blank
\stoptext

> On 19 Apr 2018, at 02:07, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On my Mac, running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5 Beta, the example given by Wolfgang works fine: clicking on the link created by ConTeXt, from within TeXShop, Safari opens that document on the desired page, that is the physical page 58.
>
> Best regards: OK
>
>> On 18 Apr 2018, at 23:04, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl <mailto:havdmeer@ziggo.nl>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks. But this seems not to work on my Macintosh. Not in Preview, not in Adobe Reader.
>> Typesetting resulted in valid-url.pdf#page=55 but the document opens at the last page remebered by the application. Are there other Macintosh users who can confirm this is not working on those machines or should I do something else?
>>
>> dr. Hans van der Meer
>>

>>> On 18 Apr 2018, at 21:58, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com <mailto:schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> For documents on the web you can add #page=<NUMBER> to the url.
>>>
>>> \setupinteraction[state=start]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \goto{Beginners manual}[url(http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf\letterhash <http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf/letterhash> page=58)]
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> Wolfgang

* Re: goto reference
@ 2018-04-19  7:57         ` John Grasty
From: John Grasty @ 2018-04-19  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

Adobe seems to indicate (at least with Adobe Reader/Acrobat) that this isn't possible:

"If you use URLs containing local hard drive addresses (c:\folder\), you cannot link to page numbers or set destinations."

[https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/link-html-pdf-page-acrobat.html]

Sorry to not be of more help,
John Grasty

> On 19 Apr 2018, at 09:37, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:
>
> The goto to the internet as given by Wolfgang works here too, but other configurations do not. Please ascertain my observations from the test given below. You should replace the absolute path by your own, of course. Three cases are programmed:
> (1) Wolfgang’s
> (2) full path ftp:// access opens file but at last page opened
> (3) local path does not open and brings up an Alert
> Run from TeXShop and also directly in Preview and Adobe Reader with the same results.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> dr. Hans van der Meer
>

> \starttext
> \currentdate-\currenttime\quad\ConTeXt-version=\contextversion\blank
> Testing directly from \ConTeXt:\blank
> \setupinteraction[state=start,color=blue,style=italic]
> \goto{Beginners manual called with http:// opens in browser as expected}[url(http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf\letterhash page=50)]\blank
> file test.pdf sits in the current directory.\blank
> \goto{click test.pdf page10 with ftp:///Users/... (full path given) opens at last page opened not at page 10 in Apple's Preview}[url(file:///Users/hansm/TeX/Test-tex/gotopdf/test.pdf\letterhash page=10)]{\quad\bf Put your own path here!}\blank
> \goto{click test.pdf page10 with ftp://test.pdf (local path)) does not open}[url(file://test.pdf\letterhash page=10)]\blank
> \stoptext
>

>> On 19 Apr 2018, at 02:07, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my Mac, running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5 Beta, the example given by Wolfgang works fine: clicking on the link created by ConTeXt, from within TeXShop, Safari opens that document on the desired page, that is the physical page 58.
>>
>> Best regards: OK
>>
>>> On 18 Apr 2018, at 23:04, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks. But this seems not to work on my Macintosh. Not in Preview, not in Adobe Reader.
>>> Typesetting resulted in valid-url.pdf#page=55 but the document opens at the last page remebered by the application. Are there other Macintosh users who can confirm this is not working on those machines or should I do something else?
>>>
>>> dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: goto reference
@ 2018-04-19  8:12         ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2018-04-19  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tested your example (after giving some local paths…) and the behaviour as follows:
(1) The full URL path with http:// opens the file at the desired page
(2) The full ftp:// local path opens my file at page 1
(3) The local path file:// to afile sitting in the same directory does not work at all.

I just saw that John Grasty gave an explanation from the specifications of Adobe: maybe that is the reason.

Best regards: OK

> On 19 Apr 2018, at 09:37, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:
>
> The goto to the internet as given by Wolfgang works here too, but other configurations do not. Please ascertain my observations from the test given below. You should replace the absolute path by your own, of course. Three cases are programmed:
> (1) Wolfgang’s
> (2) full path ftp:// access opens file but at last page opened
> (3) local path does not open and brings up an Alert
> Run from TeXShop and also directly in Preview and Adobe Reader with the same results.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> dr. Hans van der Meer
>

> \starttext
> \currentdate-\currenttime\quad\ConTeXt-version=\contextversion\blank
> Testing directly from \ConTeXt:\blank
> \setupinteraction[state=start,color=blue,style=italic]
> \goto{Beginners manual called with http:// opens in browser as expected}[url(http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf\letterhash <http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf/letterhash> page=50)]\blank
> file test.pdf sits in the current directory.\blank
> \goto{click test.pdf page10 with ftp:///Users/ <ftp://users/>... (full path given) opens at last page opened not at page 10 in Apple's Preview}[url(file:///Users/hansm/TeX/Test-tex/gotopdf/test.pdf\letterhash <file:///Users/hansm/TeX/Test-tex/gotopdf/test.pdf/letterhash> page=10)]{\quad\bf Put your own path here!}\blank
> \goto{click test.pdf page10 with ftp://test.pdf <ftp://test.pdf/> (local path)) does not open}[url(file://test.pdf\letterhash <file://test.pdf/letterhash> page=10)]\blank
> \stoptext
>

>> On 19 Apr 2018, at 02:07, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com <mailto:otared@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my Mac, running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5 Beta, the example given by Wolfgang works fine: clicking on the link created by ConTeXt, from within TeXShop, Safari opens that document on the desired page, that is the physical page 58.
>>
>> Best regards: OK
>>
>>> On 18 Apr 2018, at 23:04, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl <mailto:havdmeer@ziggo.nl>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks. But this seems not to work on my Macintosh. Not in Preview, not in Adobe Reader.
>>> Typesetting resulted in valid-url.pdf#page=55 but the document opens at the last page remebered by the application. Are there other Macintosh users who can confirm this is not working on those machines or should I do something else?
>>>
>>> dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: goto reference
@ 2018-04-19  8:55           ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-04-19  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Thanks, for verifying the behaviour. A pity it does not work as I hoped for, but it is not disastrous, of course :-)

dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: goto reference
@ 2018-04-19 10:05             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2018-04-19 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans (van der Meer),

Not sure if the next would be useful to you, but I want to mention anyway
that you can open a local external pdf file to a specific destination,
using a syntax like this:

  \goto{localfile.pdf::externalreference}

Where “externalreference” is a defined destination in the external
pdf. Since my own generated pdfs tend to have special “page-xxxx”
destinations, I can usually access my own external files with:

   \goto{myfile.pdf::page-5}

I believe this was intended to be used with \usereferences in mkii,
but it works just fine without the \usereferences call in mkiv. Mkiv
does not do any checking on the target validity, though.

This generates a /GoToR link instead of /URI, and that also means
that AR does not open the document in your browser (which is wildly
annoying) :)

Looking at the lua code in lpdf-ano, it hints that it should be possible
to feed an actual page number in, but if that is true, then I have no idea
what the syntax should be … or it could be a case of NIY?

A quick and dirty way to create external page destinations is:

  \setupinteraction[state=start]
  \setuplayout[top=1sp,topdistance=1sp]
  \setuptoptexts[{\contentreference[page-\the\pageno]{}}]

Hope this helps,

Taco

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV