From: Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 15:28:47 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 05.10.2010 um 14:48 schrieb Talal Al-Azem:

> Dear all,
>
> Two quick questions regarding footnotes and Arabic:
>
> 1. How do I get a footnote rule/marker to go from right-to-left (i.e. to begin at the right margin instead of the left margin)?
>
> 2. I would like some of my footnote streams to run RtL for Arabic, and also for those footnotes to be in paragraph form (i.e. \setupnote[afootnote][paragraph=yes] ). But when I add this command, my footnote instead runs LtR, the letters get cut up (i.e. the Arabic script is not connected), and I lose my footnote marker to add insult to injury. How should I define a footnote stream to run RtL in paragraph form?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Kind regards,
> Talal
>
> p.s. Below is my attempt thus far, with the problem of defining paragraph=yes, and with the problem of the footnote rule/marker. Reference to what I should change in this example would be most helpful:
>
> ==========================
>
> %%%	SETUP AREA
>
> %%	PAGE SETUP
> \setuppapersize[A4][A4]
> \setuplayout[grid=on]
> \showgrid
> \setupinterlinespace[line=3.8ex]
> \setupindenting[yes,big]
>
> %%	FONTS
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setupsimplefonts[size=12pt]
> \definefontfeature[default]  [default]  [mode=node,script=arabic]

\definefontfeature[arabic][default][mode=node,script=arabic]

> \setmainfontfallback[Lotus Linotype]  [scale=1.33,features=arabic,range={arabic,arabicsupplement}]
>
> %%	PARAGRAPH DIRECTION & SPACING - ARABIC - ENGLISH
> \def\arabpar	{\textdir TRT\pardir TRT}
> \automigrateinserts % to ensure that certain levels of footnotes show up (raw MKIV feature)
>
> %%	FOOTNOTES
> \setupfootnotedefinition[location=serried]
>
> \definenote[afootnote][conversion=set 2]
> \setupnote[afootnote][paragraph=yes]

\definenote[afootnote][numberconversion=set 2,paragraph=yes,rule=right,align=r2l]
\setupnotedefinition[afootnote][location=serried,display=no]

> %%%	TEXT
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]
> \arabpar{
> هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير
> \afootnote{هذه فوتنوت.}
> هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة
> }
> \stopbaselinecorrection

\startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]\arabpar
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير
\afootnote{هذه فوتنوت.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة
\stopbaselinecorrection

To make this block simpler you can write your own environment for it:

\definestartstop
  [arabic]
  [before={\startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]\arabpar},
   after=\stopbaselinecorrection]

\startarabic
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير
\afootnote{هذه فوتنوت.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة
\stoparabic

Wolfgang