* pagebreak after columns
@ 2015-01-09 20:29 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2015-01-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

a somewhat belated happy new year to all of you!

I’ve come across what seems to be a very old bug (I have found references to it in the mailing list from about 10 years ago): I get an unwanted page break after every column environment. Here’s an example with two different ones:

\definecolumnset [mine] [n=2,balance=no,distance=1cm]

\definemixedcolumns [mycolumns] [n=2,balance=no,distance=1cm]

\starttext

\input ward

\startcolumnset [mine]

\input ward

\column

\input ward

\stopcolumnset

\input ward

\page

\input ward

\startmycolumns

\input ward

\column

\input ward

\stopmycolumns

\input ward

\stoptext

Is this fixable? Thanks, and all best

Thomas

* Re: pagebreak after columns
@ 2015-01-09 22:01 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Hi all,
>
> a somewhat belated happy new year to all of you!
>
> I’ve come across what seems to be a very old bug (I have found references to it in the mailing list from about 10 years ago): I get an unwanted page break after every column environment. Here’s an example with two different ones:
>
> \definecolumnset [mine] [n=2,balance=no,distance=1cm]
>
> \definemixedcolumns [mycolumns] [n=2,balance=no,distance=1cm]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input ward
>
> \startcolumnset [mine]
>
> \input ward
>
> \column
>
> \input ward
>
> \stopcolumnset
>
> \input ward
>
> \page
>
> \input ward
>
> \startmycolumns
>
> \input ward
>
> \column
>
> \input ward
>
> \stopmycolumns
>
> \input ward
>
> \stoptext
>
> Is this fixable? Thanks, and all best

that's how balance=no works: in that case \column will go to a next
column but still fill to the bottom

columnsets is actually not meant to be used mixed unless in controlled
situations (maybe i will redo columnsets in mkiv some day)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pagebreak after columns
@ 2015-01-09 22:42   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2015-01-09 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 09 Jan 2015, at 14:01, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> that's how balance=no works: in that case \column will go to a next column but still fill to the bottom
>
> columnsets is actually not meant to be used mixed unless in controlled situations (maybe i will redo columnsets in mkiv some day)

hmm, so is there a column environment that can be used in mixed situations?

Thomas

* Re: pagebreak after columns
@ 2015-01-09 22:46     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-01-09 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 09.01.2015 um 23:42 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>:
>

>> On 09 Jan 2015, at 14:01, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>
>> that's how balance=no works: in that case \column will go to a next column but still fill to the bottom
>>
>> columnsets is actually not meant to be used mixed unless in controlled situations (maybe i will redo columnsets in mkiv some day)
>
> hmm, so is there a column environment that can be used in mixed situations?

When you use a columns environment you have to set „balance=yes“.

Wolfgang

* Re: pagebreak after columns
@ 2015-01-09 23:34     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-09 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> On 09 Jan 2015, at 14:01, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>
>> that's how balance=no works: in that case \column will go to a next column but still fill to the bottom
>>
>> columnsets is actually not meant to be used mixed unless in controlled situations (maybe i will redo columnsets in mkiv some day)
>
> hmm, so is there a column environment that can be used in mixed situations?

1 \startcolumns      : when balance is yes
2 \startmixedcolumns : when balance is yes
3 \startcolumnset    : when balance is yes but balancing is manual

guess what ... columnized itemized lists use 1 in mkii and 2 in mkiv

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pagebreak after columns
@ 2015-01-10  0:09       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2015-01-10  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 09 Jan 2015, at 15:34, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>

> 1 \startcolumns      : when balance is yes
> 2 \startmixedcolumns : when balance is yes
> 3 \startcolumnset    : when balance is yes but balancing is manual
>
> guess what ... columnized itemized lists use 1 in mkii and 2 in mkiv

Thank you, Hans and Wolfgang. I misunderstood what balance=yes does, but it seems to work now!

Thomas