* visualization problem
@ 2007-09-08 11:12 Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-08 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I've created this.
http://www.cirma.unito.it/research/alternando/photoBook.pdf

(it's 5 mB)

The cover and the separators in the pages are generated stretching on
layers the same image (a pdf generated by Metapost)

% cover
\setlayer	[mybg]
		[x=0\paperwidth, y=0\paperheight]
		{\color[lightgray]\externalfigure[alternando]
		[height=1\paperheight,width=1\paperwidth]}
% red horizontal separator
\setlayer	[mybg2]
		[x=0\paperwidth, y=.45\paperheight]
		{\color[darkred]\externalfigure[alternando]
		[height=.1\paperheight,width=\paperwidth]}
% gray vertical separator
\setlayer	[mybg3]
		[x=.9\paperwidth, y=0\paperheight]
		{\color[lightgray]\externalfigure[alternando]
		[height=\paperheight,width=.05\paperwidth]}

In Preview.app on macosx it's all displayed as expected
(this is a png snapshot of the horizontal separator:
http://www.cirma.unito.it/research/alternando/hbar.png
  ).
  But Acrobat displays the separators (the cover is ok) as a sequence
of filled boxes. Can it depends on some resolutions setting? Or what?

-a-

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

* Re: visualization problem
@ 2007-09-08 12:30 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-09-08 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle schrieb:
> Dear all,
>
> I've created this.
> http://www.cirma.unito.it/research/alternando/photoBook.pdf
>
> (it's 5 mB)
>
> The cover and the separators in the pages are generated stretching on
> layers the same image (a pdf generated by Metapost)
>
> % cover
> \setlayer [mybg]
> [x=0\paperwidth, y=0\paperheight]
> {\color[lightgray]\externalfigure[alternando]
> [height=1\paperheight,width=1\paperwidth]}
> % red horizontal separator
> \setlayer [mybg2]
> [x=0\paperwidth, y=.45\paperheight]
> {\color[darkred]\externalfigure[alternando]
> [height=.1\paperheight,width=\paperwidth]}
> % gray vertical separator
> \setlayer [mybg3]
> [x=.9\paperwidth, y=0\paperheight]
> {\color[lightgray]\externalfigure[alternando]
> [height=\paperheight,width=.05\paperwidth]}
>

> In Preview.app on macosx it's all displayed as expected
> (this is a png snapshot of the horizontal separator:
> http://www.cirma.unito.it/research/alternando/hbar.png
>  ).
>  But Acrobat displays the separators (the cover is ok) as a sequence of
> filled boxes. Can it depends on some resolutions setting? Or what?

hi andrea,

zoom to a level of 6400% and you can give the answer yourself. this is
just the way acrobat's rip is interpreting your separator gfx.

you can try to remove the horizontal border lines (also too fine for
printing). additionaly you can use (slightly) alternating background
colors per line to emphasize the horizontal borders (like in exxel).

btw: very nice location (only sunlight is missing); please drop a note
when the final pdf is released :)

best wishes, peter

* Re: visualization problem
@ 2007-09-09 23:00   ` Andrea Valle