* footnotes in columns not working
@ 2019-07-18 12:27 Charles Doherty
From: Charles Doherty @ 2019-07-18 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Hans,

I have been typesetting a Newsletter using ConTeXt since 2003. I have updated the programme regularly and made adjustments to my template as needed.

Following the most recent update I have problems with footnotes in columns. Depending on the number and length of the footnotes I have varied between placing them at the end of each column or as a list at the end of each page using:

\setupnote[footnote][location=columns]

or commenting out

%\setupnote[footnote][location=columns]

to get what I need. In the attached image I had commented out %\setupnote[footnote][location=columns] expecting to get footnotes arranged one beneath the other at the bottom of the page but I get them in two columns and both run off the page.

Can you help on this?

I attach an .png of the result.

Thanks,
Charlie

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 1674 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: Untitled.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 243387 bytes --]

* Re: footnotes in columns not working
@ 2019-07-22  8:32 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-07-22  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I cannot offer a proper fix, but I can testify that there are serious problems with footnotes in the latest betas.
The default subsystem for columns has been rewritten, but it still has some teething problems with regard to footnotes
and float placement.

While Hans is sorting out the problems, you can get back the old columns code with

  \loadmarkfile{page-mul}

somewhere in the setup section of your document.

Best wishes,
Taco

> On 18 Jul 2019, at 14:27, Charles Doherty <charles.doherty@icloud.com> wrote:
>

> Dear Hans,
>
> I have been typesetting a Newsletter using ConTeXt since 2003. I have updated the programme regularly and made adjustments to my template as needed.
>
> Following the most recent update I have problems with footnotes in columns. Depending on the number and length of the footnotes I have varied between placing them at the end of each column or as a list at the end of each page using:
>
> \setupnote[footnote][location=columns]
>
> or commenting out
>
> %\setupnote[footnote][location=columns]
>
> to get what I need. In the attached image I had commented out %\setupnote[footnote][location=columns] expecting to get footnotes arranged one beneath the other at the bottom of the page but I get them in two columns and both run off the page.
>
> Can you help on this?
>
> I attach an .png of the result.
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie