* XML schema or DTD for describing pages or ads?
@ 2010-01-28 19:58 William Adams
From: William Adams @ 2010-01-28 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have any such? Or links?

The only reasonable one I'm finding on-line is for an INX builder tool
(which makes .inx files which can be loaded into InDesign).

http://www.hyperobjects.fr/en/inx-builder/inx-builder-support/xml-syntax/index.html

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

* Re: XML schema or DTD for describing pages or ads?
@ 2010-02-03 14:44 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-02-03 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-01-28 um 20:58 schrieb William Adams:

> Does anyone have any such? Or links?
>
> The only reasonable one I'm finding on-line is for an INX builder
> tool (which makes .inx files which can be loaded into InDesign).

In 2004 I tried to find a XML representation for newspaper ads (we
needed a transport format between different systems).

I had a look at Scribus' format, but at least the version of that time
was rather messy and badly documented.

I looked at OpenOffice XML and noticed they use a SVG subset for
graphics. So we settled on SVG.

After a while I even got the developers of our online-ad-builder to
deliver usable SVG (they refused to read the specs...).

SVG Print specs looked rather usable at that time and I expected a RFC
release soon - today there's still none, and the working draft of
2007-12 is the latest... :-(  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGPrint/

Since we weren't interested in multi-page documents, our only problems
were colors (CMYK, Spot and ICC-based).

If you'd like to go the Adobe way - there's not only INX (InDesign
Interchange format), but also another XML format that's produced if
you pull "snippets" to the Desktop. And vjoon (ex K4) developers told
me, they'd use that format for their InDesign-based editorial system.
I don't know how similar those two are.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: XML schema or DTD for describing pages or ads?
@ 2010-02-03 16:20   ` William Adams
From: William Adams @ 2010-02-03 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 3, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> If you'd like to go the Adobe way - there's not only INX (InDesign
> Interchange format), but also another XML format that's produced if
> you pull "snippets" to the Desktop. And vjoon (ex K4) developers
> told me, they'd use that format for their InDesign-based editorial
> system. I don't know how similar those two are.

Thanks!

Snippets are supposed to be a sub-set of IDML (which is the
replacement for INX).

I was hoping for something more generic (there isn't such a thing in
the JDF schema?), but that's an interesting idea....

William

--

@ 2010-02-03 19:03     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-02-03 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-02-03 um 17:20 schrieb William Adams:

> On Feb 3, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>
>> If you'd like to go the Adobe way - there's not only INX (InDesign
>> Interchange format), but also another XML format that's produced if
>> you pull "snippets" to the Desktop. And vjoon (ex K4) developers
>> told me, they'd use that format for their InDesign-based editorial
>> system. I don't know how similar those two are.
>
> Thanks!
> Snippets are supposed to be a sub-set of IDML (which is the
> replacement for INX).

Eh, yes - I still use CS2, no need to update...

> I was hoping for something more generic (there isn't such a thing in
> the JDF schema?), but that's an interesting idea....

JDF allows for the inclusion of arbitrary content data (besides all
that workflow stuff) but doesn't define any itself.