Never mind. After more word combinations when searching the archives, I came across Wolfgang’s answer here: gmane.comp.tex.context/85673 , in which he says to use the \defineconversion command. E.g.: \defineconversion [myconversion] [۱,۲,۳,۴,۵,۶,۷,۸,۹,۱۰, ۱۱,۱۲,۱۳,۱۴,۱۵,۱۶,۱۷,۱۸,۱۹,۲۰, ۲۱,۲۲,۲۳,۲۴,۲۵,۲۶,۲۷,۲۸,۲۹,۳۰] \setuppagenumber[numberconversion=myconversion] Of course, one can add the same to setups for the other matters as well: \setuphead[chapter,title,section,subject][conversion=myconversion] \setuplinenumbering[conversion=myconversion] \setupnotations[footnote][numberconversion=myconversion] \setupnotations[linenote][numberconversion=myconversion] etc. This actually provides lots of flexibility, as you can fine-tune various footnote streams by assigning different scripts, etc. Talal > On 3 Aug 2015, at 00:32, talazem@fastmail.fm wrote: > > Dear all, > > When typesetting in Arabic (or, for that matter, other non-Latin scripts), how does one get numerals to appear ‘natively’ in layout structures such as headers, page numbers, line-numbering, and footnote numbers? In the case of Arabic, this means using the so-called “mashriqi”, or “Arabic-Indic”/“Arabic-Hindi” numerals. Is there some option when defining the font family? (I would have thought that using “\mainlanguage[arabic]” would have done it.) Of course, I am using a font that contains the numbers of that script. > > Mind you, if I manually type such numbers into the body of my text, they appear correctly. MWE below. > > Best wishes, > Talal > > ===== > \setuppapersize[A6] > \mainlanguage[arabic] > \definefontfamily[mainface][serif][ALMFixed][features=arabic,range=arabic,] > \setupbodyfont [mainface,10pt] > > \starttext \showframe > \righttoleft > > %\setupdirections[bidi=global,method=two] > > \section{section one} > \startlinenumbering > \input ward > \stoplinenumbering > \footnote{I would like the footnote number — like the page number, section number, and linenumbers — to be in the so-called Arabic-Indic script.} > > \section{section two} > مرحباً بالعالم. ١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩٠ مرحباً بالعالم. > \stoptext > =====