* Arithmetic Macros
@ 2005-11-26 21:22 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-11-26 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

Does anyone have any macros for typesetting common arithmetic
explanations, such as +, -, x, and /?

Like:

    123
+456
_____
    579

Or:

          21
     ________
25) 527
        50
        __
          27
          25
         ___
            2

David

* Re: Arithmetic Macros
@ 2005-11-27  9:23 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-27  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> All,
>
> Does anyone have any macros for typesetting common arithmetic
> explanations, such as +, -, x, and /?

There is a small macro package by Donald Arsenau for long
divisions, and it looks like that works in context without
any change:

   <CTAN>/macros/generic/misc/longdiv.tex

But whether or not you like it's visualization is another
matter. To my (european) eyes it looks quite awful.

Cheers,
Taco

* Re: Arithmetic Macros
@ 2005-11-27 17:34   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-11-27 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Taco, I'll take a look.

On Nov 27, 2005, at 1:23 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David Arnold wrote:
>
>> All,
>> Does anyone have any macros for typesetting common arithmetic
>> explanations, such as +, -, x, and /?
>>

> There is a small macro package by Donald Arsenau for long
> divisions, and it looks like that works in context without
> any change:
>
>   <CTAN>/macros/generic/misc/longdiv.tex
>
> But whether or not you like it's visualization is another
> matter. To my (european) eyes it looks quite awful.
>
> Cheers,
> Taco

David