* Skipping item numbers in an itemized list?
@ 2011-04-27 13:53 Alasdair McAndrew
From: Alasdair McAndrew @ 2011-04-27 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

The effect I want is something like:

1. First item
2. Second item
5. Fifth item
6. Sixth item
8. Eight item

and so on.  Every now and then I need to skip a number or two.  In LaTeX I
could do this with \addtocounter{enumi}{2} - but how is this done in
ConTeXt?

Thanks very much,
Alasdair

* Re: Skipping item numbers in an itemized list?
@ 2011-04-27 14:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-27 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 27.04.2011 um 15:53 schrieb Alasdair McAndrew:

> Hello,
>
> The effect I want is something like:
>
> 1. First item
> 2. Second item
> 5. Fifth item
> 6. Sixth item
> 8. Eight item
>
> and so on.  Every now and then I need to skip a number or two.  In LaTeX I could do this with \addtocounter{enumi}{2} - but how is this done in ConTeXt?

\starttext

\startitemize
\sym{1.} First item
\sym{2.} Second item
\sym{5.} Fifth item
\sym{6.} Sixth item
\sym{8.} Eight item
\stopitemize

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Skipping item numbers in an itemized list?
@ 2011-04-27 14:22 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-04-27 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alasdair,

Is this what you want?
\starttext

\startitemize[n]
\dorecurse{4}{\item text}
\stopitemize
\input knuth.tex

\startitemize[n,continue]
\dorecurse{4}{\item text}
\stopitemize

\startitemize[n][start=17]
\dorecurse{4}{\item text}
\stopitemize

\stoptext

I have this from an answer by Wolfgang S.

Best regards: OK

On 27 avr. 2011, at 15:53, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The effect I want is something like:
>
> 1. First item
> 2. Second item
> 5. Fifth item
> 6. Sixth item
> 8. Eight item
>
> and so on.  Every now and then I need to skip a number or two.  In LaTeX I could do this with \addtocounter{enumi}{2} - but how is this done in ConTeXt?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Alasdair

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Otared Kavian
Département de Mathématiques
Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin
Bâtiment Fermat
45 avenue des Etats Unis
78035 Versailles cedex

Téléphone: +33 1 39 25 46 42
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 44
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 46

e-mail: Otared.Kavian@math.uvsq.fr

* Re: Skipping item numbers in an itemized list?
@ 2011-04-27 14:39   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2011-04-27 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:19:45 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

> Am 27.04.2011 um 15:53 schrieb Alasdair McAndrew:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The effect I want is something like:
>>
>> 1. First item
>> 2. Second item
>> 5. Fifth item
>> 6. Sixth item
>> 8. Eight item

>> and so on.  Every now and then I need to skip a number or two.
>> In LaTeX I could do this with \addtocounter{enumi}{2} - but how
>> is this done in ConTeXt?

> \starttext
>
> \startitemize
> \sym{1.} First item
> \sym{2.} Second item
> \sym{5.} Fifth item
> \sym{6.} Sixth item
> \sym{8.} Eight item
> \stopitemize
>
> \stoptext

You can't be serious ;-). Do you really think one should enter all
numbers manually only because someone wants to skip e.g. the number
"13"? There must be a counter around and a way to advance it.

From the code I think this should be used:

\starttext

\startitemize[n]
 \item here we list the points,
 \item one after the other.
 \doadvanceitem
 \item blub
 \stopitemize
\stoptext

--
Ulrike Fischer

* Re: Skipping item numbers in an itemized list?
@ 2011-04-27 14:45     ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2011-04-27 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 27.04.2011 um 16:39 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:

> Am Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:19:45 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>
>> Am 27.04.2011 um 15:53 schrieb Alasdair McAndrew:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The effect I want is something like:
>>>
>>> 1. First item
>>> 2. Second item
>>> 5. Fifth item
>>> 6. Sixth item
>>> 8. Eight item
>
>>> and so on.  Every now and then I need to skip a number or two.
>>> In LaTeX I could do this with \addtocounter{enumi}{2} - but how
>>> is this done in ConTeXt?
>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startitemize
>> \sym{1.} First item
>> \sym{2.} Second item
>> \sym{5.} Fifth item
>> \sym{6.} Sixth item
>> \sym{8.} Eight item
>> \stopitemize
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> You can't be serious ;-). Do you really think one should enter all
> numbers manually only because someone wants to skip e.g. the number
> "13"? There must be a counter around and a way to advance it.
>
> From the code I think this should be used:
>
> \starttext
>
> \startitemize[n]
> \item here we list the points,
> \item one after the other.
> \doadvanceitem
> \item blub
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext

What about the following?

\starttext
\startitemize[n]
\item one
\noitem
\item three
\stopitemize
\stoptext

Andreas

* Re: Skipping item numbers in an itemized list?
@ 2011-04-27 15:21     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-04-27 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:19:45 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>
>> Am 27.04.2011 um 15:53 schrieb Alasdair McAndrew:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The effect I want is something like:
>>>
>>> 1. First item
>>> 2. Second item
>>> 5. Fifth item
>>> 6. Sixth item
>>> 8. Eight item
>
>>> and so on.  Every now and then I need to skip a number or two.
>>> In LaTeX I could do this with \addtocounter{enumi}{2} - but how
>>> is this done in ConTeXt?
>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startitemize
>> \sym{1.} First item
>> \sym{2.} Second item
>> \sym{5.} Fifth item
>> \sym{6.} Sixth item
>> \sym{8.} Eight item
>> \stopitemize
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> You can't be serious ;-). Do you really think one should enter all
> numbers manually only because someone wants to skip e.g. the number
> "13"?

You can't be serious ;) Do you really think that one should manually
increment a counter. What's next: using {\bfa Some title} for section
titles?

More seriously, if there is a logic behind such a counter, then you can
use:

\defineconversion[fancy][1,2,5,6,8]
% or a TeX or Lua command that generates the count

\startitemize[fancy] ....

>  There must be a counter around and a way to advance it.

If you insist,

\setstructurecounter[\currentitemgroupcounter]{5}

There is no interface to increment the counter by arbitrary amount, but
you can define your own interface to structures.counters.add:

\unprotected
\def\addtostructurecounter  [#1]#2{\ctxlua{structures.counters.add
("\@@thestructurecounter{#1}",1,#2)}}

and then use

   \addtostructurecounter[\currentitemgroupcounter]{2}

Aditya

* Re: Skipping item numbers in an itemized list?
@ 2011-04-27 17:33       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2011-04-27 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:21:31 -0400 (EDT) schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \startitemize
>>> \sym{1.} First item
>>> \sym{2.} Second item
>>> \sym{5.} Fifth item
>>> \sym{6.} Sixth item
>>> \sym{8.} Eight item
>>> \stopitemize
>>>
>>> \stoptext

>> You can't be serious ;-). Do you really think one should enter all
>> numbers manually only because someone wants to skip e.g. the number
>> "13"?
>
> You can't be serious ;) Do you really think that one should manually
> increment a counter. What's next: using {\bfa Some title} for section
> titles?
>
> More seriously, if there is a logic behind such a counter,

Well I have long stopped to wonder why people sometimes needs
"holes" in a numbered list. It sometimes happens. Perhaps the OP
want to make a list of name of occupants of houses where some
numbers haven't yet been assigned.

> then you can use:

> \defineconversion[fancy][1,2,5,6,8]

This is ok if the complete list is not too long and when you know
which numbers the "holes" should have, but I would suspect that
Alasdair want to be able to increment somewhere the actual counter
by 1 or 2 without having to check the actual number first.

> There is no interface to increment the counter by arbitrary amount, but
> you can define your own interface to structures.counters.add:
>
> \unprotected
> \def\addtostructurecounter  [#1]#2{\ctxlua{structures.counters.add
> ("\@@thestructurecounter{#1}",1,#2)}}
>
> and then use
>
>    \addtostructurecounter[\currentitemgroupcounter]{2}

I would say that's what Alasdair wants.

--
Ulrike Fischer

* Re: Skipping item numbers in an itemized list?
@ 2011-04-28  3:47         ` Alasdair McAndrew
From: Alasdair McAndrew @ 2011-04-28  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)