* Change hyphenation mark
@ 2020-05-26 20:17 Marc Trius
From: Marc Trius @ 2020-05-26 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I would like to use a different hyphenation mark (־, U+05be) in Yiddish, as
it is the standard in that language. It's my understanding from reading the
wiki that this is currently impossible—I am wondering if there is a hack
that could accomplish this.

Thank you,
Marc Trius

* Re: Change hyphenation mark
@ 2020-05-26 20:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-05-26 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/26/2020 10:17 PM, Marc Trius wrote:

> I would like to use a different hyphenation mark (־, U+05be) in Yiddish,
> as it is the standard in that language. It's my understanding from
> reading the wiki that this is currently impossible—I am wondering if
> there is a hack that could accomplish this.
It would be pretty bad if we couldn't do that ... but you need to define
yiddish first (maybe more needs to be setup ... but that's up to you
tolet us know, labels, what patterns and such).

\installlanguage
   [yiddish]
   [righthyphenchar="05BE,
    righthyphenchar=`*, % for testing
    default=en]

\starttext

\input tufte

\language[yiddish]

\input tufte

\stoptext

* Re: Change hyphenation mark
@ 2020-05-26 21:30   ` Marc Trius
From: Marc Trius @ 2020-05-26 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you! It makes a big difference. I distinctly remember reading
somewhere that the hyphen character can't be replaced... But it was last
year so I couldn't tell you where.

I have an environment that provides the first ten Hebrew numerals, which I
am using for the front matter:

\def\hebrewnumber#1%
 {\ifcase#1 \or א
                \or ב
                \or ג
                \or ד
                \or ה
                \or ו
                \or ז
                \or ח
                \or ט
                \or י

                \else -\fi}

\defineconversion[hebrewnumerals][\hebrewnumber]

I assume that the right way to do it, that would allow for more numbers, is
in Lua, the way that Roman numerals are done. Unfortunately I couldn't
quite figure out how to do it. Right now I don't have more than ten pages
of front matter, but if you are willing to help with implementation, I  can
explain how Hebrew numerals work.

Thank you,
Marc Trius

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 3:51 PM Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 5/26/2020 10:17 PM, Marc Trius wrote:
>
> > I would like to use a different hyphenation mark (־, U+05be) in Yiddish,
> > as it is the standard in that language. It's my understanding from
> > reading the wiki that this is currently impossible—I am wondering if
> > there is a hack that could accomplish this.
> It would be pretty bad if we couldn't do that ... but you need to define
> yiddish first (maybe more needs to be setup ... but that's up to you
> tolet us know, labels, what patterns and such).
>
> \installlanguage
>    [yiddish]
>    [righthyphenchar="05BE,
>     righthyphenchar=`*, % for testing
>     default=en]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input tufte
>
> \language[yiddish]
>
> \input tufte
>
> \stoptext

* Re: Change hyphenation mark
@ 2020-05-27  7:59     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-05-27  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/26/2020 11:30 PM, Marc Trius wrote:
> Thank you! It makes a big difference. I distinctly remember reading
> somewhere that the hyphen character can't be replaced... But it was last
> year so I couldn't tell you where.

hm, i think it always could be changed, but afaik only luatex can do
that per language within a paragraph as it stores language properties
with the characters

> I have an environment that provides the first ten Hebrew numerals, which
> I am using for the front matter:
>
> \def\hebrewnumber#1%
>   {\ifcase#1 \or א
>                  \or ב
>                  \or ג
>                  \or ד
>                  \or ה
>                  \or ו
>                  \or ז
>                  \or ח
>                  \or ט
>                  \or י
>
>                  \else -\fi}
>
> \defineconversion[hebrewnumerals][\hebrewnumber]
> I assume that the right way to do it, that would allow for more numbers,
> is in Lua, the way that Roman numerals are done. Unfortunately I
> couldn't quite figure out how to do it. Right now I don't have more than
> ten pages of front matter, but if you are willing to help with
> implementation, I  can explain how Hebrew numerals work.

Ok, let's do that off-list then