From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
To: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>,
Subject: Re: TeX capacity exceeded
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 19:22:12 +0200	[thread overview]

> On 19.05.21 18:34, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>>
>> Can you check the latest upload? You should be able to go way higher.
>
> Yes, with 2021.05.19 18:22, the file compiles again in lmtx! I'm also
> trying your suggestions for improving the Lua code and rethinking my
> tables for analyzing the vocabulary. Thank you for the quick fix! And I
> hope there won't be any problem for other users - I'm aware that memory

If they have problems it's because of other changes -)

> on computers can differ vastly. I sometimes run ConTeXt on my raspberry
> pi 3, which has just 1 G of RAM, whereas my newish iMac at home has 40
> G. So it's difficult to find the sweet spot that will satisfy everybody...

Unless you use many huge fonts, running your document on a rpi 4 with
4-8 gb should work ok (we have a rpi 4 in mojcas compile farm connected
to an usb3 ssd). My laptop is from 2013 (decent intel 3840QM cpu + 16 GB
mem and ssd and so) and is about 3 times slower than the rpi 4 in the
luametatex manual.

Your file in mkiv does a decent ppm (is that an arm or intel mac?)

mkiv lua stats  > lua properties: engine: lua 5.3, used memory: 601 MB,
ctx: 579 MB, max: unknown MB, hash chars: min(64,40), symbol mask: utf (τεχ)
mkiv lua stats  > runtime: 22.310 seconds, 1068 processed pages, 1068
shipped pages, 47.871 pages/second

so I suppose in lmtx it's a bit faster and using less mem. Still less
mem than the GB's that e.g. firefox consumes after a few hours sitting
idle.

Concerning the sweetspot: I supose that on a laptop or desktop users are
okay, but in a vm (or instance) it might matter because there processes
have to fight over memory and cache (some is gained back by often faster
disk io because that gets delegated to another process). I try to keep
that in mind with luametatex/lmtx, which is why I spent quite some time
on a lower mem footprint. I have no clue what a modern cpu does compared
to mine (tex is single core).

(btw, the latest version should also be a bit more efficient / faster
with some huge cjk fonts that for some reasons have so many zero entries
that the tma file was 3 times larger than needed, but I suppose fonts
will always be a bit of an issue ... they have always been since tex
showed up.)

Hans