From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
	Werner Hennrich <wehe@gmx.at>
Subject: Re: new page before xtable with repeated headers
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 11:33:01 +0200	[thread overview]

On 5/31/2021 10:50 AM, Werner Hennrich wrote:
> I still rely in all my installations on this bit at the bottom to be in
> cont-new.mkxl.
> Is there a way to make this patch update-safe?
>
> There are comments
> in ./tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/cont-new.mkxl:
>
>     %D This file is loaded at runtime, thereby providing an excellent
>     place for hacks,
>     %D patches, extensions and new features. There can be local
>     overloads in cont-loc
>     %D (which has always been the case) and experimental code in
>     cont-exp (which is also
>     %D so old that I need to remind myself to check it occasionally, so
>     here is the
>     %D reminder).
>
> I tried the mentioned local overload methods but didn't get them to work.
> Did I mess up somehow or is the comment above outdated?
> Are there any better ways - update-safe though?
>
> Thanks a lot, Werner
>

> Am 23.04.21 um 21:28 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> You can put this on cont-new.mkxl as test:
>>
>> \unprotect
>>
>> \defcsname\??xtableflushsplit\v!repeat\endcsname
>>   {\doloop
>>      {\clf_x_table_flush
>>         method {\v!split}%
>>         height
>> \ifdim\pagegoal=\maxdimen\textheight\else\dimexpr\pagegoal-\pagetotal\relax\fi
>>       \relax
>>       \ifcase\c_tabl_x_state
>>         \exitloop
>>       \else
>>         \page
>>       \fi}}
>>
>> \protect
cont-new will be overwritten so when you put a patch in there you need
to check a next upload if that patch is permanent

you can also put patched in a cont-loc file (make sure that you run
mtxrun --generate after making one) and out that file in your
texmf-local tree  (or project tree) as these will not be replaced

you can wrap such a patch in:

\ifcsname\??xtableflushsplit\v!repeat\endcsname \else

\fi

to make sure that it's not overloading something built in

Hans